Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 01:17 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
If it took 100 employees to do a certain volume
of work a year ago and now you're doing it with 80,
that's pure gain for the company and its stock holders. ...
Short term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 01:36 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Short term.
If find ways to produce something cheaper, why is that only a "short term" gain?
Seems to me that is a permanent improvement...

'splain yourself, Wilbur....

Old 11-10-2009, 12:26 AM

132 posts, read 347,057 times
Default Unemployment in NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
Can't provide a link, it was in the newspaper today, Sorry! I named the worst and the best, and New Mexico was the lowest.
Not to question any source, but I've lived in 20 states and haven't seen unemployment as bad. Not that I'm arguing on the stats, but I think a lot of it has to do with what field you are in. I've been in IT for almost 20 years and can't find work here; but than again, both Intel and Sandia are laying off. Now if I was in defense with a clearance, medical field, or other specialized fied, I'd have a better chance. So it depends on a lot of factors. All I know is it's pretty pathetic then you go to Jiffy Lube and find out that you can't even get a job as a "greasemonkey". Anyway, I'm not aruguing with anyone, especially since I haven't lived here for long. It's just that sometimes I don't know where the media gets this info from

Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Sandia's laying off who, exactly? Have yet to find any news reports about this in 2009.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Sandia's laying off who, exactly? Have yet to find any news reports about this in 2009.
From my memory, just recently in the last few months, Sandia Labs closed down most if not all of their machine shop at Kirtland AFB. Also some friends/acquaintances have been laid off due to reduced fabrication contracts from Sandia initiated by Raytheon. Yucca Mountain project has 300+ Sandia employees and it is shutting down.

Rich

Old 11-10-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Taking this to DM - off topic.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:43 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
From my memory, just recently in the last few months, Sandia Labs closed down most if not all of their machine shop at Kirtland AFB. Also some friends/acquaintances have been laid off due to reduced fabrication contracts from Sandia initiated by Raytheon. Yucca Mountain project has 300+ Sandia employees and it is shutting down.

Rich
Shutting down the machine shop doesn't equal layoffs, according to the associated press' account from Joe Harris, the senior manager of said machine shop.

Contractors get jobs, they get riffed.. but these aren't Sandia employees.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
That's the catch with Sandia... they're moving more and more employees into contractor positions.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:25 AM

475 posts, read 1,267,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLIABQ View Post
Not to question any source, but I've lived in 20 states and haven't seen unemployment as bad. Not that I'm arguing on the stats, but I think a lot of it has to do with what field you are in. I've been in IT for almost 20 years and can't find work here; but than again, both Intel and Sandia are laying off. Now if I was in defense with a clearance, medical field, or other specialized fied, I'd have a better chance. So it depends on a lot of factors. All I know is it's pretty pathetic then you go to Jiffy Lube and find out that you can't even get a job as a "greasemonkey". Anyway, I'm not aruguing with anyone, especially since I haven't lived here for long. It's just that sometimes I don't know where the media gets this info from
The original source for unemployment data is the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) of the federal government. They use several sources with some sampling involved. The US figure is published first, then states, then metropolitan areas. As far as I know the most recent metro data is the preliminary numbers for September.
Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area

This report shows ABQ at 7.8 percent which is higher than the New Mexico figure but lower than the national average. And of course you are right -- the job situation can vary radically by fields. Nationally anyway, health care jobs have continued to increase.

Also unemployment data for smaller states and metro areas are probably not that reliable and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I just noticed that Mike mixed I love Lucy with Mr. Ed.

That's almost against the TOS, but I'll hafta' check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico