U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 PM

17,471 posts, read 18,548,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Shutting down the machine shop doesn't equal layoffs, according to the associated press' account from Joe Harris, the senior manager of said machine shop.
The "Machine Shop" has been there over 50 years, and was always determined to be needed. And that's what Sandia National Labs always stated, even though they have had reductions over the years. So now they don't need it? OK. It doesn't equal layoff's? You gonna say downsizing by attrition? Retirements and moving to other jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Contractors get jobs, they get riffed.. but these aren't Sandia employees.
The 100+ employees/workers/contractors, whatever you want to call them are out of a job? They don't count? I know three people who worked in that machine shop for 10+ years. Did Joe Harris say that? Bet you Joe Harris is a contactor, bet you he has over 25 years employment. Sandia National Labs has over 10,000 people in the Albuquerque area. What percentage are contractors? I don't know, but bet you its enough to considered more than 50%

The entire Sandia Labs is a contractor! They contract to the Department of Energy to the tune of about $1,400,000,000 per year. (In addition, they do work for other agencies and companies also).

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 AM

2,804 posts, read 4,340,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The "Machine Shop" has been there over 50 years, and was always determined to be needed.
Apparently not by everybody, and definitely not by the decision makers.

Quote:
And that's what Sandia National Labs always stated, even though they have had reductions over the years. So now they don't need it? OK. It doesn't equal layoff's? You gonna say downsizing by attrition? Retirements and moving to other jobs?
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Why not?

Quote:
The 100+ employees/workers/contractors, whatever you want to call them are out of a job? They don't count? I know three people who worked in that machine shop for 10+ years. Did Joe Harris say that? Bet you Joe Harris is a contactor, bet you he has over 25 years employment. Sandia National Labs has over 10,000 people in the Albuquerque area. What percentage are contractors? I don't know, but bet you its enough to considered more than 50%
At issue was whether Sandia was laying off or not. When the holidays have come and gone and millions of seasonal workers are let go, this doesn't equal mass layoffs. Raytheon is laying off, Ktech is laying off, etc., fine. Not Sandia.

The rest of this is not relevant to the issue in question.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:23 PM

5,553 posts, read 9,431,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
When the holidays have come and gone and millions of seasonal
workers are let go, this doesn't equal mass layoffs.
No, because everyone knew the jobs were only temporary and
that they would end.

Another example:

If Intel shuts down a factory and lays off 3,000 blue badge
Intel employees, then some 500 green badge contractors get
laid off. Intel HR didn't lay them off, but in my tiny little mind,
I view the layoff of the 3,500 employees as an Intel layoff.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:01 AM

9 posts, read 20,185 times
Default It's a layoff

I have to agree that it's akin to a layoff. I worked in a (different) government lab. It's very difficult and expensive to employ government workers so many government labs hire "contractors" to fill 80% of the positions. This way they can layoff people. Firing a government employee is near impossible. This is the way around it. I met many people who spent their entire career as a contractor at a lab.

This is not necc. a knock on the way government labs do things. All organizations need to lay people off periodically to remain viable, and the red tape in government makes these types of loop holes needed. Most of the contractors I met were pretty happy and were very good. But the golden carrot was the possibility of the government job. It's akin to tenure in the government lab setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque