Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:30 PM

277 posts, read 682,092 times

Advertisements

I'll preface by saying I have a bigger car than I "need" - no kids, no carseat, and I don't have a job that requires lugging around a lot of equipment on a regular basis. So I'm also guilty as charged a little bit.

But seriously? I have just realized how many regular Joes/Josephines drive ENORMOUS pick-ups/SUVs on a daily basis and - my main issue - canNOT park those things in parking garages/spaces without the vehicle either sticking out too far or impinging on the neighboring space.

I don't want to sound TOO judgmental (hard to avoid completely), but unless you live off the dirt roads in the mountains, is there really a need for all these vehicles? We don't get THAT much snow, right? It's almost funny, actually...

I'm coming from the perception of being very stingy about gas consumption, not to mention my last home was in the Northeast where everyone drove teeny cars that they could squeeze into small parallel street parking and were environmentally conscientious.

OK - bring on the hate posts!

Old 10-06-2010, 02:43 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,034 times
Two words -- Status Symbol

Old 10-06-2010, 05:16 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,477 times
Uh...maybe because they are MEDs.....Male Enhancement Devices?

Actually, there are plenty of areas around new Mexico where having higher than normal
ground clearance is a requirement to access them. It isn't just the big SUVs and
pick-em-up-trucks, look at all the smaller SUVs and cross-overs; here they make sense.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:27 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Most of the time, the biggest wastes of space I see around here tend to be driven by women.

I choose not to judge an oversized vehicle, as they come in handy when I need someone to help me move or go to the dump.

Now those smart cars, where they cost as much as a normal car, get normal car gas mileage, and take up normal car parking spaces.. those get on my nerves.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:20 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post

Actually, there are plenty of areas around new Mexico where having higher than normal
ground clearance is a requirement to access them. It isn't just the big SUVs and
pick-em-up-trucks, look at all the smaller SUVs and cross-overs; here they make sense.
Size does matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Now those smart cars, where they cost as much as a normal car, get normal car gas mileage, and take up normal car parking spaces.. those get on my nerves.
^2!

I just don't understand anyone buying one of those and then especially driving it on the freeway or other high speed road. The only thing non-normal about them is their small size, which makes them useless for hauling around a lot of the stuff I do, even in my Jetta. And how unsafe you are in one if driving in heavy traffic and someone else makes a mistake. With a bigger vehicle you can hopefully walk away from that type of occurrence. Seems a lot less likely if you're driving a sardine can.

I believe folks that buy them have really bought into marketing spin which makes no sense. I also think some of them think of themselves as "green" snobs ("I'm better because I'm driving a small car instead of a gas guzzling SUV.") Maybe that's a little harsh but I've seen a bit of this attitude with some smart car drivers.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:25 PM

326 posts, read 837,179 times
I get scared for people turning sometimes in there super high up lower quality cars.

Saw a older chevy blazer jacked to the heavens the other day and all I could think was holy crap how does that not roll over in turns???

Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 PM

326 posts, read 837,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Size does matter.

^2!

I just don't understand anyone buying one of those and then especially driving it on the freeway or other high speed road. The only thing non-normal about them is their small size, which makes them useless for hauling around a lot of the stuff I do, even in my Jetta. And how unsafe you are in one if driving in heavy traffic and someone else makes a mistake. With a bigger vehicle you can hopefully walk away from that type of occurrence. Seems a lot less likely if you're driving a sardine can.

I believe folks that buy them have really bought into marketing spin which makes no sense. I also think some of them think of themselves as "green" snobs ("I'm better because I'm driving a small car instead of a gas guzzling SUV.") Maybe that's a little harsh but I've seen a bit of this attitude with some smart car drivers.

I am a such a green snob!! I don't drive anything but my legs!

(okay sometimes I take a bus) lol

Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,290 times
Some of my more "status conscious" co-workers, ran out and bought big HUMMER's, when they first came on the market.
Then when gas prices went up.....complained about them being fuel-sucking vampires!?

Well, DUH............................................... .......................................

Steve

Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,477 times
Wasn't it GM who came out with a "Green" fuel / electric hybrid pick-up that got a whopping
18mpg? When their existing moose-mobile diesel models got over 20?

There's an awful lot of hype and BS in the "Green" vehicle stampede..

Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 AM

366 posts, read 868,817 times
Quote:
I choose not to judge an oversized vehicle, as they come in handy when I need someone to help me move or go to the dump.
Yep that's my thought, if everyone was driving the car size they needed who would help the rest of us move? Think of it as a public service, they spend all that money on an oversized vehicle and gas and we get to buy them a beer and make them haul our junk.

Also, to OP, one could say if you weren't driving an vehicle larger than you needed you wouldn't have any trouble parking even when two larger vehicles are next to you.

Quote:

Have to disagree with the parking space thing. I have seen them pull into parking spots where the parking spot is the gap between two parallel parked trucks/suvs, now that is a good use of space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque