U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:03 PM

28 posts, read 127,339 times
Red face 10 reasons to move to ABQ? 10 not!?

hello folks,

i am 24 years old and i want to move to ABQ. my family with my 2 little sisters are coming from other country in the end of the summer so i want to move to a not so expensive city and good schools. they can stay in around the city for the cost and i can take advantage of New Mexico Tech.
i would appreciate if you advise me in 10 reasons why should or why i shouldn't move to ABQ. PLEASE feel free to advise me in the cost of living, roads and driving, schools, crime rate and weather.

best regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 02:50 PM

2,802 posts, read 4,173,016 times
New Mexico Tech, in Socorro, is 70 miles from ABQ. That doesn't sound like much, but it's a very tiring (and boring) drive if you do it daily.

Why not move your family to Socorro? Housing is less expensive, everything else costs about the same, and everyplace in town is 5 minute drive or less. And there are jobs there.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:48 PM

cooooooooooooool! thanks....well i didn't mentioned that "Socorro" could be a city to think about! thanks..i will search for that.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 8,142 times
I am a 100% disabled Vietnam Vet looking at ABQ for a place to move. I use a power wheel chair to get around and a V.A. Hospital near by is a plus. Also I do not drive. Have looked at an apt. in Southeast part of ABQ. Is it truly and really safe to get around in.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:43 PM

3,058 posts, read 7,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosona View Post
hello folks,

i am 24 years old and i want to move to ABQ. my family with my 2 little sisters are coming from other country in the end of the summer so i want to move to a not so expensive city and good schools. they can stay in around the city for the cost and i can take advantage of New Mexico Tech.
i would appreciate if you advise me in 10 reasons why should or why i shouldn't move to ABQ. PLEASE feel free to advise me in the cost of living, roads and driving, schools, crime rate and weather.

best regards
There are pros and cons to Albuquerque, like everywhere. But I moved here about three + years ago from the Midwest, and while I am not certain I will stay here forever, I have to say that it is overall a tremendous place to live.

The pros:

-The weather: Yes, it is colder than Phoenix or southeast Texas, but I am not so sure that that is a bad thing. The sun shines over 310 days a year, there is rarely a day without sun. It is a desert, so the air is very dry (very few mosquitos!). Days are often very hot in the summer, but usually top out only at 102 degrees at most. Springs and falls here are just about the best weather you could imagine - 60s or 70s or 80 in the day, and cool, crisp, clear nights. Winters get very cool at night - 20s and 30s are common once the sun sets - but days generally bring 50s, and even some stretches of 60s. Golf is truly year-round here, but it is true you can still a few times see some snow.

-The natural beauty: Yes, it is brown, but isn't that a given in a desert? Las Vegas and Phoenix are much, much browner! On the east of the city - only a few minutes from much of the eastern portion of the city - are the beautiful Sandia Mountains - (peak is 11,000 feet). On the west is the West Mesa, a very scenic elevated desert area, which includes some dormant volcanoes. Through the middle runs the Rio Grande, which produces a greenish snake of huge green trees - Cottonwoods and the like - that runs through the middle of the city called the bosque - it is truly an oasis in the desert, and is beautiful in late autumn. And often times the first freeze here doesn't come until November, so while there isn't as much "green" as Chicago, per se, the green that is here lasts much longer into fall, and develops again much earlier the next spring again.

-Culture: There is more culture in Albuquerque than most areas. There is a huge blend of Mexican, Native American, Spanish, and "Gringo" cultures here, and as such, you find much more of a NATURAL rich culture than you do in many areas.

I could go on and on. But I have a wife, and we have a 1.5-year old daughter, and I have never felt a shred of crime or aggression in the 3+ years of living here. Sure, I would not hang out on the east portion Central Ave. at midnight on a Friday, but again, there are areas like that in EVERY major city in the nation.

Crime statistics show Albuquerque kind of "below average" for safety in the U.S. for sure, but it is a far safer place statistically than places like Phoenix or Tucson - especially without a few isolated pockets in the SE and South Valley. And you know what? I have spent much time in Phoenix and Tucson, and never for a minute felt threatened there. Just live in the vast majority of areas of the city that are safe and you're fine.

As for the schools, APS is generally not well regarded (although there are some nice APS schools), but Rio Rancho Public Schools are very well regarded and Albuquerque has many great private schools as well (And no, I am by no means rich or even above middle class. There are plenty of affordable private schools out there that are not just for the "elite").

Albuquerque LEADS the country's major cities in percentage of the city covered by parks - with over 25% of the city covered by the beautiful parks here. It is a tremendous city for spending time outdoors.

The sunsets here will take your breath away...almost every night.

The Balloon Fiesta for 2 weeks in October is great. Roasting chile every year from August through early November brings tremendous smells to the air every day. Old Town is a wonderful area for shopping and historical sight-seeing (there are not many places like Old Town in other major US cities). We are only 45 minutes away from historical Santa Fe. Our International Sunport (airport...you can tell by the name how sunny it is here year-round) is a perfect size - tons of flights, but not nearly the hassles of airports like Atlanta, Chicago, Phoenix, etc.

The Mexican and New Mexican food here is superb (and cheap!). But there are many tremendous Chinese, Thai, Italian, Mediterranean, etc., restaurants as well.

The architecture that some here have maligned is beautiful, and so distinctively unique to New Mexico! The pueblo, adobe styles give you a feeling of living somewhere unique in the nation, and the brown against the beautiful blue skies are a wonderful contrast.

I could go on and on...and already have. But hopefully this gives you a more pleasant picture of Albuquerque. And having just moved here 3 years ago from half-way across the nation, I would have no reason to be "naturally biased" to the area.

I do find it to be polarizing. Some people just will not give Albuquerque a chance. They hate living in a desert - hate the desert landscape - or just think Albuquerque is "too big." (If you think Albuquerque is too big, try spending some time in Phoenix, Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, Las Vegas, Houston...the list goes on). And it is distinctive and different. I find that pleasant about the area, but others hate it. And all opinions deserve respect. But I sometimes wonder, "well, you knew it was a desert, and you knew it was a metro area of 800,000 before you moved here. If you didn't like those aspects, why did you move here in the first place?"

Sure there are negatives. As the city continues to grow, house prices are shooting up rapidly (although, contrasted to many, many places in the nation, houses are still terribly affordable). Traffic is getting much worse with people moving in so rapidly, but it is still far better than many areas in the nation. The tap water doesn't taste good - (although that is what bottled water is for). The job market highly centers around high-tech/engineering, so people with more general business backgrounds sometimes find a tougher go of things (although that is my background, I just have a bachelors degree only, and have done just fine).

There are cons here for sure, but honestly, the pros far outweigh the cons here, and having seen many, many areas and regions of the country and the world in my short life, I can say that Albuquerque is a superb place to live.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:25 PM

wahoooooooooo thank you for your wonderful detailed answer....it was more than useful for me..thank you so much again. i got in love with ABQ!!!!!!

thanks all

Old 05-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Tat

12 posts, read 31,436 times
Default Pros and cons

Although I agree with the pros posted by EnjoyEP, I'll tell you some cons.

Spring TEMPERATURE is nice, but what about the WIND??? OMG! The winds that whip up to a constant 20-30 mph with the sand mixed in, and then the gusts up to 50 mph! This happens every year without fail from about mid-March until mid-May. It settles down after that, and then just happens occasionally. Other than that, the weather is gorgeous!

Drivers: I've lived in several states all across and up and down in the U.S., and I'll have to say I've never seen such horrible drivers in all my life! They cut you off, they leave their blinkers on or don't use them at all, which is really the case most of the time, they drive like maniacs the other half of the time. It's almost like they wait for you to get about 15 feet from them before they pull right out in front of you in YOUR lane, although other lanes are clear, etc. Don't get me started! I'm SURE they got their licenses in a Cracker Jack box! I've been in 3 accidents here (in 14 years) that were pretty major, none of which were my fault. Just idiots running red lights. I think we rank near the top for that, as well as DUI. Just be careful and defensive when you drive here.

Crime: I've posted before about crime here. No, you may not see it in front of you, but it's happening - don't kid yourself. It's a larger city, so there's going to be crime. Be careful of certain neighborhoods - certain blocks, even. Talk to the locals that might be out in their yards before moving somewhere if possible. I live in a neighborhood reknown for crime and gang activity, yet in 5 years have never experienced anything negative, although friends of mine lived 2 streets over (literally) and had gang activity next door to them, and across the street from them. Loud parties and hanging outside in the driveway making all kinds of noise until wee hours of the moring, and they actually used to SHOOT at each other from across the street! Can you imagine? As I said, I've personally never seen it with my own eyes, but know quite well it does happen.

IQ level: I'm sorry to say this, but really... I'm from a more educated area of the states (east coast), and the IQ level here is pretty low. It amazes me how some of them can survive from day to day. Whew! I guess there's a reason that Albuquerque is one of the lowest in the nation for education levels.

Water: I personally think the water tastes fine where I'm at! If you get a report or check online about the water, there are different levels of minerals and toxins in areas of the city. UNM area (Nob Hill) has the lowest content of arsenic, the water tastes better in that area, as well as the SE Heights, which unfortunately has a higher crime rate. South Valley has THE highest crime rate.

Landscape: I LOVE the landscape here! It has a rugged beauty that's unrivaled by any place I've lived so far. It was very difficult to adjust to, coming from such a "green" area, but it really is beautiful. If you like to hike, there are SO many awesome trails in the Albuquerque and east mountain areas, as well as the entire state. New Mexico has the most square miles of state forests here, too, by the way, and they seem to be quite well maintained. Sunsets? I agree! Breathtaking!!! Even though there is a lot of traffic, the air seems to be pretty clean, as well.

So yes, there are pros and cons, and consider that it is a big city. I wouldn't advise NOT moving here, but you have to take certain things with a grain of salt no matter where you live. Just depends on what is tolerable to you, personally. Everyone has their own priority list of what is most important to them in their own diverse lifestyles.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:11 AM

10 posts, read 32,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat View Post
IQ level: I'm sorry to say this, but really... I'm from a more educated area of the states (east coast), and the IQ level here is pretty low. It amazes me how some of them can survive from day to day. Whew! I guess there's a reason that Albuquerque is one of the lowest in the nation for education levels.
You may want to recheck your statement. Albuquerque ranks high nationally for graduate degrees....even higher than many east coast cities.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/american_community_survey_acs/001712.html (broken link)

If you open Table 2 you will see Albuquerque ranks #5 in the nation. Above MANY east coast cities.

Last edited by UNM_Lobo; 05-21-2007 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-21-2007, 11:04 AM

699 posts, read 1,933,247 times
I've read those rankings as well, and they are relatively suprising! Normally I'm completely positive about ABQ and NM in general, but there are many, many people in our great city who do not even have a high school education. So I think the point here is, on a percentage basis, we rank very high for Doctorate, and Graduate level degrees, but we rank even higher in drop out rates, and GED's. Thanks to the Labs and many other high tech companies we have that high percentage, but the populous on the whole probably does have a lower IQ than many cities around the country.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:15 PM

10 posts, read 32,784 times
I see your point. I just don't want any one who reads these posts to get the impression that Albuquerque is full of a bunch of uneducated people.

There are several of us who worked hard to obtain our BA and MBA and still reside in this city (for now at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque