U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2009, 08:24 AM

224 posts, read 630,980 times

Advertisements

hmm not sure if I mentioned, there are red light cameras everywhere in the country, it's just Chicago is more ridiculous, knowing this city is congested, if the person in front of you takes his/her time to make a turn when the light is about to turn red and you get caught behind his/her car, you get caught by the camera in the end. In Baltimore, these cameras only exist "downtown". Chicago it's everywhere. There's even a site where you can check if you got a ticket or not, just type in your plate numbers, and yes the cameras do pivot! LOL.

There are 2 taxes in Chicago that I know of: 10.225% for everything else, 2.25% for food tax. If I buy food at the grocery, it's only 2.25% tax. When I bought a bed at $200, I got taxed 10.225%, so about $20? There goes my gas money!

I pay $550 in rent all utilities included. Parking is street parking, very congested and often hard to find at night especially weekends where these suburbia wimps come to the city on weekends "to have a good time". They can't live here. I think more road/street freedom to drive is for me and good weather therefore Albuquerque seem to be calling me. I've never been there, though I lived in California, so warm weather is always nice.

The Mid-west, outside of Chicago is unappealing, to me. I've driven by OH and IN, pretty stale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Vistas View Post
I lived in ABQ for 20 months, and have seriously considered returning once I finish a year long paralegal certificate, since I am in Omaha now. Midwest is nice and I though I wanted to be back in this part of the country, but I do miss my vistas, my mountains, my volcanoes, my rocks and boulders, and my hikes, and I had made some decent connections.

I left when my job hours were being reduced due to the owners wishes of getting rid of her major account. I declared bankruptcy (should have done it a year ago and probably could have stayed in New Mexico), had to move to a different apartment (in with somebody and realized I can live with people after 20+ years of living alone), and was just plain bitter. Also, while in ABQ, some person I thought had potential entered my life, and that was a strain for me, too. I got rid of him in March of this year.

So, people complain about violence in ABQ. You'll find it anywhere. Your used to big city living; you should be all right in ABQ.

Apartments for under $300. I would avoid them. I paid $610 for a NE Heights apartment, but the rates were falling in 2009. (Another reason why I was pissed; that apartment management didn't reduce my rent when I signed a new lease in January 2009, but they had rented to other people for about $60 less a month. They were nothing short of bastards.)

You can find nice places for about $550 a month now.

As for red light cameras, ABQ has them, too. Just go the speed limit, don't run red lights and you won't have a problem. I really don't understand the anger about red light/speed cameras. If one follows the rules, then they don't get fines. If you go through an intersection when it's yellow, your fine - you need to trip the device twice - right before the red light and in the middle of the intersection. So, if someone goes through the light (not the intersection) when it's red, you are running a red light. You deserve a ticket.

ABQ has it share of thugs, crime. But, so do a lot of places. More diverse; not as segregated. Definitely laid back on some ways. I think this part did get to me - expecting people to call me back within an hour of calling, but I realized after relocating to Omaha, I was the same way here and needed to become more patient. Employers are just not going to call you back anywhere in a fast amount of time unless they are desperate. Here in Omaha, I had a few call back within a few days, and some not at all.

High taxes? ABQ has some taxes. You find the gross receipts tax an issue - since you will see this on your phone bills, you dental bills, your MD bills, every bill. It is passed on to the consumer. It is like a sales tax - really a use tax - but all services are taxed in New Mexico, unlike many states. Actually, I don't think any other state has a use tax on services. Save your medical and dental bills; you can deduct these and get some credits on your state taxes.

You pay for emission on your car, but the car stuff is relatively cheap. It is high here in Nebraska. Actually, I'm not fond of Nebraska - red state, high taxes, and don't want to follow federal laws that really supersede all state laws, like stem research mandates passed by Obama. Nebraska wants to make up its own rules. Too many right to lifers here, too. Too conservative. Too much football Just not my cup of tea. My New Mexico vistas are calling me.

If you respond to me directly, I could probably help with some apartment stuff.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-19-2010 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:34 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,291,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casden View Post
$550 a month!!!! Where in Chicago can you find a rental for $550 a month? That's almost unheard of - especially on the North Side. Most one bedrooms start at about $900 and above/month. This is an extremely rare case - you lucked out.
I know huh?
Did this guy rent a studio in Humboldt park or something?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 4,171 times
Unless you like that inner-city, multi-cultural street scene, DO NOT move to the Southeast, Southwest or near Northwest quadrants of the city as your first Albuquerque address. I would avoid downtown unless you can afford a higher-dollar secure building. I recommend you stay to the West-Side north of Montano along the Coors corridor, and visit before you rent, or the areas north of Montgomery along the Juan Tabo-to-Tramway corridor. There are other areas that aren't bad, actually and some are very nice, but you need more experience with the city demographics to determine for yourself what suits you. $550 will not get a great place, but if you shop, you might find something safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque