Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:10 AM

184 posts, read 805,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

remember that southern route discussed earlier?
The one where you drive back to albuquerque via tucson?

=====> take that way coming home.

I wouldn't want to be driving through flagstaff, holbrook,
gallup, or grants after saturday afternoon based on the
current weather forecast.

thank you mortimer !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 07:54 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,960 times
We did the Holbrook/Payson route last Saturday. Door to door was 8 hours, we did stop 3 times for a total of about an hour. This was with some road construction that slowed us a bit but I think we made great time. I was prepared to take the 101 west to Glendale but Garmin took us to 202 and south to I-10 and then west, which was fine.
We plan on driving back on Sunday and the forecast has me a little worried. They usually keep I-40 fairly clear but those overpasses in Gallup and then I-40 in and out of Grants can be bad. We may do the Tucson thing coming home...

Old 11-27-2009, 04:27 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
I would monitor the changing weather situation closely.

Last night, they were saying that by Sunday night, Silver City
and Ruidoso will be looking at a significant snow event.

The winter weather will start in the North and move South.

It looks now, like if you were not coming home till Monday,
you would be better off going the I-40 route, but on Sunday,
nothing is a good way to go unless you define "way to go"
as staying one more night in Phoenix.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:37 PM

I think if we head out early tomorrow we'll be okay going via Tucson/Lordsburg/Deming to LC and then N on I-25 into ABQ. I believe we avoid high altitude areas that might be prone to bad conditions this way...right? ( Map in car, too lazy to go get it )

Old 11-28-2009, 02:50 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
A few years ago, my dh was driving back from Phoenix (we lived in ABQ at the time) with a coworker when a snowstorm suddenly got bigger than expected. Visibility was zero and they pulled over to the side of the ride along with hundreds of other vehicles for 5 hours - til it stopped blowing and the roads were cleared. They couldn't get cell service and neither were dressed for it.

Thankfully, they had taken MY car. I am one of those "paranoid" people and nagged him about filling the tank and not letting it get below half until they'd cleared Flagstaff both ways.

Both of them were very glad that I'd packed extra for them - 2 fleece blankets, 1 reflective blanket, water, granola bars, jerky, candy bars, apples, spare gloves and some travel games got them through. I had some more stuff in there, like plastic trash bags, extra socks, hats, flares, matches, etc too. But they didn't have to get out of the car or use most of it.

Please pack an emergency box that you can access without getting out of the car. 5 hours doesn't seem like a long time, until your stuck at the side of the road and all you can see is WHITE.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat
... I believe we avoid high altitude areas that might be prone to bad conditions this way...right?
Actually, anything in NM - even going the Southern route is
still "high altitude." The I-10/I-25 corridor is lower than
the I-40 corridor and less prone to bad weather, but
can still wallop you given the right conditions.

This storm should bring the right conditions.
Be safe and take what sskkc has to heart.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:44 AM

Well, we took the southern route. Rain, rain and more rain, from Wilcox to north of T or C. Much better than snow, and no danger of the rain freezing as the temp was a steady 39-41 degrees for most of the trip. It was nice to see sites other than the same ones we're used to, and it did not take that much longer. Door to door was 11 hrs 30 minutes but we stopped in Tucson for breakfast for at least 30 minutes ( to tire out the little one at playland at McD's ) and again in T or C for dinner and a windshield wiper repair ( my poor husband attacking the rogue wiper in the rain with his just purchased for $7 Dollar General ratchet set ) so I think driving time was just under 10 hours. The rain slowed us a bit, Google said we'd make it in just over 9 hours. Also we took the Deming to Hatch cut off, getting stuck behind slow drivers several times and missed the I-25 entrance in Hatch ( this was where the windshield wiper started to get wonky )

Old 04-07-2010, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,392 times
I know this thread is over 4 months old, but I ran across it after I replied to another old thread about traveling from Phoenix to Holbrook. As far as Holbrook to Phoenix or vise versa, it generally better to avoid I17/I40. I thought Mortimer's post were excellent. If your starting/stopping point is around Sky Harbor Airport or any where east or south of there, then going the Payson route is overall better and can be faster. Just for a quick comparison, Holbrook to PHX via I40/I17, 236 miles, average 75mph, 3.15 hours, or 377/87/202 is 188 miles, average ONLY 60mph, 3.13 hours. I have gone from Holbrook to Tempe(6 miles from airport) via Payson, in well under 3 hours without exceeding 10 over the limit. Pretty much the same as 80-85 on the interstate.

Gimme a break. Start with the math. Unless you live in north or west Phoenix, it's better not to take I17. Even if you live in central Phoenix, I would take the Payson route. I have drive all 3 ways, I17/I40, 60/87/I40 , and 60/87/260/277/377. I live in Tempe and it's 60 miles further to take the 17. Unless you're doing 85 or faster the whole way, it's not faster, unless there is snow or some kind of restriction around Payson. Going that fast is generally not good in many ways. Don't get me wrong, I like to go FAST, I have a CBR929RR, but it's not always worth the risks. You get a flat or hit something doing 85-90 vs 65, add the fact most people are idiots when they drive, like holding the wheel with 2 fingers doing 85, good luck.

You can do 70-75 easy all the way to Payson, faster if you want. Then, other than some areas where you gotta slow down, like Pine/Strawberry, and a few others, you can do at least 60-65 or faster the rest of the way to Holbrook or Winslow. You drive 40-60 miles less, use 1.5-3 gallons less fuel, not including the fuel saved by going a little slower and the scenery, the scenery alone is worth it. Especially if you're new to or visiting Arizona. Most people think Arizona is a flat desert. BTW, you know that near the top of Humphreys Peak(12,637 feet), lies the only region of tundra in Arizona. :]

Like, I said unless you're doing 85+, taking I17 either will only save a matter of minutes or it will be around the same, possibly taking a little longer. And before some jackass says something about speeding, if you go the posted speed limit on all routes, I17 takes around 15 minutes longer. Again, if you factor in slowing down in certain spots taking the Payson route, the total time would be close, and don't forget, taking I17 you're going 60 miles further, using more gas etc. As long as there are no severe weather issues, it's a no brainer to me.....well, actually, maybe that's wrong. I guess you do need brains to figure that out. :]

Oh yeah, and if you take the trip more than once, you should try both routes out of Payson. Pine/Strawberry vs 260East, is similar, time wise. Once you get through Pine/Strawberry, I believe it's 55 all the way to Winslow, but like I said, you can go 65, easy. I have been passed by people probably doing 85. And don't forget to stop and get a picture, standing on a corner in Winslow,AZ.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:13 AM

Standin' on the Corner Park, Winslow, Arizona - Official Site

Old 10-06-2011, 04:30 AM

184 posts, read 805,125 times
As the originator of this thread, I wanted to give folks an update... (yeah yeah... i know it's almost 11 months late... )....

The possibility of inclement weather during our trip out from ABQ to Phoenix last year's Turkey weekend made us pan the idea of going with the Payson route, since everyone on the roads insisted for us to stay on "main major roads" since we were going to be driving at nite and there was a possibility of inclement weather. We thus, opted for the 1-40/1-17 route. Things got a little tricky only after we passed Flagstaff and traveled down thru Sedona etc. But we took it slow slow slow as the light snow kicked in...

Having done the Payson route for our PHX to ABQ return (during sunshine and daylight), in retrospect, we were glad we didn't do this route on our way to PHX.. (night time and possibily of snow) Way to scary...

Having said that... I need to remind folks to Stay WITHIN 10 MILES over speed limit as you cruise thru Payson!!! Our return trip (PHX to ABQ) via Payson was 'eventful' only after receiving the PHOTO ENFORCED SPEEDING TICKET within a few weeks after the turkey holiday. Definitely made the cost of this trip NOT worth all the driving... would have been cheaper to fly! Sooooo..... word of caution...

SLOW THRU PAYSON... KEEP IT BELOW 10 MILES OVER SPEED.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-10-06 at 4.07.53 AM.png
Views:	404
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	85672 skysz

ps. our az destination was to the north end of phx 101/desert ridge area/mayo clinic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque