U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:39 AM

10 posts, read 10,609 times
Default Insects, Crime, Housing, Jobs, Cost of Living, Weather

I may move to Albuquerque soon, after working at a job there for a month, it's way different than Fremont, Ca. The thing I noticed most was how many insects there were compared to here. I stayed in a decent area where only a few people even tried to take care of their lawns, or should I say rocks. With so many yards bare of vegetation, I wondered why the area I stayed in had so many insects, I remember running from some flying bugs that I have never seen before, big ones, I have no idea what the hell they were, June bugs is what a neighbor said they were.
At night I saw the sidewalks also had roaches wandering around, not use to that.

It seems that criminals like to drive around in decent neighborhoods, and look for things to steal. My neighbor had tools stolen from his locked garage, while he was sleeping, they must have seen his open garage with the tools in the day time, and came back at night. They entered thru a side door in his backyard. My neighbor on the other side of the house had his car broken into.

I am not a home-owner, a 2 bdrm 800 sq.ft. condo here is 1/4 mil.
However apartments here are only $200.00 or $300.00 a month more than Albuquerque. I saw some real dumps in Albuquerque, and that was just from the outside, I didn't dare go inside to look. A lot of the places I looked at, looked like they were built a long time ago.
The cars in Albuquerque say a lot, cash for clunkers, must not have been advertised in Albuquerque. Poor people driving junk cars was a normal sight in Albuquerque, and they were white people, the Mexicans I saw driving had worse cars. Blue collar city, you bet, and I'm just a cnc machinist.

The Asian invasion here in the Bay Area is mostly the reason I am looking to move to another state. As a cnc machinist for 30 years, I have to work in machine shops, here in Silicon Valley area, in 1999, there were 5,000 machine shops, since the large semiconductor companies decided to build 5 billion dollar factories in China, and outsourcing to China became a necessity, there are now less than 500 machine shops in the entire bay area, and 25% to 40% of them are Asian owned.
Ever go to an interview and only see only Asian employees?
No chance of getting hired there, I speak the wrong language (English)

I have noticed that in Albuquerque the wages are 5 dollars an hour less, on average, for machinists. Thatís $800 a month less in pay, so the $200, or $300 a month you save in rent, doesn't make up for the lower wages.

Food, I was in shock, the prices for food in Albuquerque at grocery stores is more than the bay area, and food selection was less. So much for the cost of living being cheaper.
I'm sure taxes are lower in Albuquerque, than here, nothing is not taxed here.

The weather, thatís a biggie, desert is a understatement.
Nothing grows in Albuquerque, without massive quanties of water.
Just look at Albuquerque on Goggle earth, everythingís brown, very depressing if you are from Fremont, where everything is green.

I liked the place I worked at in Albuquerque, and that is half my life, so I guess I can put up with all the other stuff I don't like about Albuquerque since if you have a crummy job, it makes the rest of your life crummy also.
Anyone know a better place to live where they have machine shops, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Insects, Crime, Housing, Jobs, Cost of Living, Weather-everything-grows-fremont.jpg   Insects, Crime, Housing, Jobs, Cost of Living, Weather-no-desert.jpg  

Old 11-26-2009, 11:51 AM

29 posts, read 40,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIFORNIA NATIVE 123 View Post
I may move to Albuquerque soon, after working at a job there for a month, it's way different than Fremont, Ca. The thing I noticed most was how many insects there were compared to here. I stayed in a decent area where only a few people even tried to take care of their lawns, or should I say rocks. With so many yards bare of vegetation, I wondered why the area I stayed in had so many insects, I remember running from some flying bugs that I have never seen before, big ones, I have no idea what the hell they were, June bugs is what a neighbor said they were.
At night I saw the sidewalks also had roaches wandering around, not use to that.

It seems that criminals like to drive around in decent neighborhoods, and look for things to steal. My neighbor had tools stolen from his locked garage, while he was sleeping, they must have seen his open garage with the tools in the day time, and came back at night. They entered thru a side door in his backyard. My neighbor on the other side of the house had his car broken into.

Isn't that kind of a general statement? It's generally understood that crime can happen anywhere at anytime, and all you can ever do is play the odds and take precautions. Where you're located in the city can play into that in a big way. Was your neighbor's side door locked?

I am not a home-owner, a 2 bdrm 800 sq.ft. condo here is 1/4 mil.
However apartments here are only $200.00 or $300.00 a month more than Albuquerque. I saw some real dumps in Albuquerque, and that was just from the outside, I didn't dare go inside to look. A lot of the places I looked at, looked like they were built a long time ago.
The cars in Albuquerque say a lot, cash for clunkers, must not have been advertised in Albuquerque. Poor people driving junk cars was a normal sight in Albuquerque, and they were white people, the Mexicans I saw driving had worse cars. Blue collar city, you bet, and I'm just a cnc machinist.

That attitude really bugs me. How can you comment on a place (or anything for that matter) without really exploring? Am I correct in inferring from your statement that your opinion on these places comes from driving around with your windows rolled up, peering out and passing judgment? I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but fundamentally, you're going to come away from many experiences disappointed if that's the mindset you have.

The Asian invasion here in the Bay Area is mostly the reason I am looking to move to another state. As a cnc machinist for 30 years, I have to work in machine shops, here in Silicon Valley area, in 1999, there were 5,000 machine shops, since the large semiconductor companies decided to build 5 billion dollar factories in China, and outsourcing to China became a necessity, there are now less than 500 machine shops in the entire bay area, and 25% to 40% of them are Asian owned.
Ever go to an interview and only see only Asian employees?
No chance of getting hired there, I speak the wrong language (English)

That's really uncalled for, I think. If you legitimately feel you've been the victim of unfair and illegal discrimination, there are organizations to help you, but if you come away from not getting a job, and your only thought is "Well, it must be because I'm race X, I only saw race Y at that place, that must be it!" Then there are some issues. What evidence do you have that you simply weren't as qualified as other candidates for this job or jobs? Like I said, if you have a legitimate claim for discrimination, that's one thing, but the way you phrased your statement leads me to believe you're just bitter.

I have noticed that in Albuquerque the wages are 5 dollars an hour less, on average, for machinists. Thatís $800 a month less in pay, so the $200, or $300 a month you save in rent, doesn't make up for the lower wages.

Food, I was in shock, the prices for food in Albuquerque at grocery stores is more than the bay area, and food selection was less. So much for the cost of living being cheaper.
I'm sure taxes are lower in Albuquerque, than here, nothing is not taxed here.

The weather, thatís a biggie, desert is a understatement.
Nothing grows in Albuquerque, without massive quanties of water.
Just look at Albuquerque on Goggle earth, everythingís brown, very depressing if you are from Fremont, where everything is green.

Yes, Albuquerque is a desert city. Some people find it fascinating, other people prefer greener pastures. Neither is right or wrong, it's all preference. I wouldn't say it's fair to hold that as a mark against the city. It was built in the desert, and the people who move or live there are well aware of the climate.

I liked the place I worked at in Albuquerque, and that is half my life, so I guess I can put up with all the other stuff I don't like about Albuquerque since if you have a crummy job, it makes the rest of your life crummy also.
Anyone know a better place to live where they have machine shops, let me know.
Well, I'm sorry you're not happy with your lot in life, but I'm not convinced all of these grievances can be placed on the city of Albuquerque.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:28 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,185,261 times
When I lived in the Bay Area before moving here, I had a good friend who lived in Fremont and visited him and his wife often. Fremont has no downtown, nor is it a close knit community. In a word, it's blah. I taught at Mission San Jose High there for a couple years and was bored with the kids, their parents, and their ticky tacky houses.

Albuquerque has a lot more to offer: culture, incredible views, wonderful climate, good food, friendly people. These all add up to a much healthier quality of life.

You are smart to consider moving to Albuquerque. It's not perfect, but it offers much more than Fremont.

If you come to here with an open mind, can develop a like for the native plants, and get over the brownness that exists for 2-3 months, you'll probably be happy. I sure hope so.

Last edited by nmguy; 11-26-2009 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: wanted to add a few things

Old 11-26-2009, 12:42 PM

476 posts, read 745,895 times
"Nothing grows in Albuquerque, without massive quanties of water."

Just not true. There are plants that grow very well in arid conditions -- that would die in a more moist environment. You may need to water them some to get them going, but then they take off with maybe an occasional watering in drier stretches.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:50 PM

4,090 posts, read 3,077,839 times
It sucks here. Stay in California.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:31 PM

2,154 posts, read 3,536,879 times
What was the point of the OP? If you don't like it, don't move.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:33 PM

Default You must not go outside much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexyz2618 View Post
Well, I'm sorry you're not happy with your lot in life, but I'm not convinced all of these grievances can be placed on the city of Albuquerque.
What a bunch of BS, there is a huge difference in the income of Fremont people and the people of Albuquerque, the cars, well, how can you not notice the lack high end cars, it's everywhere. Look at the average incomes of both cities on Wiki, and theres your answer.
Average income, Fremont, $93,000
Average income, Albuquerque, $35,000
The first thing I noticed on Google Earth, was the lack of greenery and swimming pools in Albuquerque, go ahead and compare.
Lack of greenery, desert, lack of swimming pools, income.

You might want to look at the crime rate also.

The asian population is 46.2% here. This stuff that there is no discrimination is a joke. Many companies are 100% Asian, not a single white. You are an idiot to think it's just me.

You sound like my brother in Las Vegas, defending the weather, it's 117, but's it's a dry heat.
I worked near the Museum of Nuclear Science and History, and lived in Glenwood Hills, so the month I was there I didn't get to live in other places. If I move there, the only reason, will be a good job, even though it's a $10.00 an hour cut in pay.

If I move there, the only reason, will be a good job, even though it's a $10.00 an hour cut in pay.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-23-2014 at 08:52 AM..

Old 11-26-2009, 04:58 PM

2,154 posts, read 3,536,879 times
Sounds like a troll.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:26 PM

Default Whats is a Troll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Sounds like a troll.
You have 2 posts a day for over a year, this is my first day on this site.
If a Troll is someone that has nothing to do everyday but to post on Forums, then you are the Troll. The guy that says ''It sucks here'' I respect, he sounds honest.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:06 PM

29 posts, read 40,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIFORNIA NATIVE 123 View Post
What a bunch of BS, there is a huge difference in the income of Fremont
people and the people of Albuquerque, the cars, well, how can you not notice the lack high end cars, it's everywhere. Look at the average incomes of both cities on Wiki, and theres your answer.
Average income, Fremont, $93,000
Average income, Albuquerque, $35,000
The first thing I noticed on Google Earth, was the lack of greenery and swimming pools in Albuquerque, go ahead and compare.
Lack of greenery, desert, lack of swimming pools, income.

You left out a huge part about income. According to city-data, the median family income for the cities-

Fremont- 93,342
Albuquerque- 43,677

If you look at just that, then yeah, Fremont looks more desirable. The median income for families is more than double than Albuquerque. But that's only half of the picture, look at the housing costs, again, according to city-data-

Fremont- 688,700
Albuquerque- 184,700

Fremont housing is more than three times (almost four times) as expensive as Albuquerque. I'd say based on just that, you get more bang for your buck in Albuquerque than in Fremont.

Oh, and like I said, some people prefer the dry, desert climate. Just because you like the greenery and the swimming pools isn't a mark against Albuquerque.

You might want to look at the crime rate also.

The asian population is 46.2% here. This stuff that there is no discrimination is a joke. Many companies are 100% Asian, not a single white. You are an idiot to think it's just me.

I never said there was no discrimination, I said it does no good to look at a missed opportunity and to decide the reason you didn't get what you wanted was because of your race. Like I said, if you have a serious suspicion, a quick internet search yields plenty of legal avenues you could pursue. But in my experience, most of the people who say they didn't get a job because of race have no real evidence of such, and are more content to cast themselves as the oppressed victim, rather than take any course of action to hold those who may be guilty of illegal discrimination accountable, or to improve their own skillset and increase their own value as a worker so they could be hired elsewhere. Again, I'm not singling you out, or accusing you, that's just the most common scenario I've seen.

You sound like my brother in Las Vegas, defending the weather, it's 117, but's it's a dry heat.
I worked near the Museum of Nuclear Science and History, and lived in Glenwood Hills, so the month I was there I didn't get to live in other places. If I move there, the only reason, will be a good job, even though it's a $10.00 an hour cut in pay.
Like I said, I don't claim to know anything about you or your situation. But I'm sorry you feel persecuted, or that you can't see the appeal in a place like Albuquerque. Not every city is for everyone, but most of your complaints are complaints that could be leveled at just about anywhere. Not that that makes them less valid, just that you might have a hard time finding a place that meets your ideal criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque