Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:50 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,515 times

Advertisements

Yes desertsun, Albuquerque does sprawl. So does Phoenix. So does every other American city that has had significant development since 1950. While other cities are sprawling, it's the scale that sets Phoenix apart. ABQ will never become Phoenix for a large number of reasons - among them lack of water, lack of land, and economics that are rendering sprawl housing developments unfeasible for the foreseeable future.

Actually, I shouldn't be using the present tone when I talk about sprawl. For the past year or so, there has been hardly any sprawl development in Phoenix, ABQ, or most anywhere else. If you look at the number of building permits issued for 2009, it's as if ABQ growth has halted altogether. Some estimates suggest Phoenix may in fact be losing population. It will be interesting to see what happens after the recession lets up - and whether or not we are truly seeing the end of sprawl as some development/planning/architecture related-editorials are predicting.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:55 PM

434 posts, read 1,106,015 times
How many clubs are in downtown Alb? Just wondering...

Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
yes, it is frightning that ABQ appears to be modeled after PHX and you keep up the bragging, you might actually convince someone that we have a decent downtown.
It's just that we do have a nice little downtown...

Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
Having moved here from Phoenix, I see very very little in common between the main "hang out" areas for the young over 21 crowd in the two cities.

The two nightlife hot spots in the Phoenix area are Phoenix downtown ( a very large entertainment area around USAirways Center ) and the ASU area of Tempe ( Mill Ave. ) either of which is larger than the ABQ downtown scene or that around UNM. With so many areas, there are also smaller areas that draw crowds ( I'm thinking of Scottsdale's 5th Ave area Martini Ranch, Mickey's Hangover, etc )

The ABQ downtown scene seems ( and we hardly frequent it ) more fraught with problems than either of the two Phoenix areas and the UNM scene is much much smaller than that in Tempe

Old 12-11-2009, 04:43 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
It's just that we do have a nice little downtown...

what's nice about a half finished building(Anasazi), bars, strip club, homeless people and nothing to attract someone downtown, other than the above?

Old 12-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Anyhow, in an effort to avoid an argument with a table...

Old 12-11-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
Yes desertsun, Albuquerque does sprawl. So does Phoenix. So does every other American city that has had significant development since 1950. While other cities are sprawling, it's the scale that sets Phoenix apart. ABQ will never become Phoenix for a large number of reasons - among them lack of water, lack of land, and economics that are rendering sprawl housing developments unfeasible for the foreseeable future.

Actually, I shouldn't be using the present tone when I talk about sprawl. For the past year or so, there has been hardly any sprawl development in Phoenix, ABQ, or most anywhere else. If you look at the number of building permits issued for 2009, it's as if ABQ growth has halted altogether. Some estimates suggest Phoenix may in fact be losing population. It will be interesting to see what happens after the recession lets up - and whether or not we are truly seeing the end of sprawl as some development/planning/architecture related-editorials are predicting.

I know every city sprawls, but Im saying ABQ mimics PHX in the way that they dont attract businesses or people downtown, the cities are suburban with suburbs.

for instance, some cities have a downtown that attracts businesses and people, some to live and some to visit and work, then you have uptowns or midtowns that have more entertainment and lofts/condos/apartments.

ABQ has a tiny city center, not much hotels,business,entertainment,amenities or much of anything really and that makes the city feel suburban.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Anyhow, in an effort to avoid an argument with a table...

Im not sure what you are talking about, but anyways can you tell me what is so nice about downtown or were you just saying you liked it

Old 12-11-2009, 04:55 PM

I think we have a great little Downtown... justifying my position to you, not worth it.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:04 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
" Im saying ABQ mimics PHX in the way that they dont attract businesses or people downtown "

When were you last in downtown Phoenix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque