U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 11 days ago)

48,927 posts, read 40,328,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Why should a city employee have to take personal leave when state employees do not?

And he could not this morning, he had a meeting that was mandatory.

It worked for us, I was able to take my son to school. But I am sure there were some city employees that did not have a personal leave option or a spouse that could stay home with their child.
Two different government offices, what one does the other isn't required to do o rnecesarily need to do..

Nita
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 AM

3,695 posts, read 6,317,140 times
It would be more of a courtesy delay. Of course, courtesy, that's not an international language.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,261,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun
... if you are scared to drive.
Being scared to drive and wary of others who don't know how
are completely different things.

You don't drive drunk. Does that mean that you don't give a
thought to the guy weaving around behind or ahead of you
who is obviously bombed?

I can't tell you the number of times I've heard someone with
a 4-wheel-drive vehicle tell me that they are not effected by
snow/ice because "My car is a 4-wheel-drive vehicle ..."

A guy interviewed on the news yesterday morning:

"There was nothing I could do. I just ran right into the back of ..."

Last edited by mortimer; 12-09-2009 at 12:18 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,511,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

I LOVED that guy, I believe what he said was " I hit my brakes hard and then ran into the back of..."

Because slamming on your brakes is the correct thing to do when driving on 2 inches of solid ice.

And was it just me, or did they happen to catch the cast of "Deliverance" on Tramway just in time to do those interviews?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,762,459 times
Quote:

LOL!! I saw that on the evening news.. I think the actual quote was

"I SLAMMED on my brakes..."

That's the problem with modern Social Darwinism... The doofus is likely to take you with him
rather than just starving in an alley because he's too dumb to feed himself....

Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM

16 posts, read 18,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
In the past, city employees were put on a two hour delay, right along with schools. APS has a few things to consider that the city does not. Such as: School bus transportation, safety of students, lunch and milk truck deliveries, too much ice on the playground, etc...

I don't know what the city thinks about, but obviously these things are not on the list. Anyway, I think your barking up the wrong tree here. I kind of understand your point, but you'd probably be more satisfied complaining to the city of Albuquerque. Or maybe ask a question similar to this topic on channel 4 and see if you get chosen.

good luck.

I beg your pardon, but these items are very much on the City's decision list. The problem is not with the City's inability to coordinate with APS, the Problem lies with APS pressing the panic button at the sight of the first snow flake and refusing to coordinate with the city officials.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:11 PM

437 posts, read 596,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abgofet View Post
I beg your pardon, but these items are very much on the City's decision list. The problem is not with the City's inability to coordinate with APS, the Problem lies with APS pressing the panic button at the sight of the first snow flake and refusing to coordinate with the city officials.
uhuh. Well, it's happened before. It's bound to happen again. You and the OP sound like you need to call APS or the city (whichever place you think the most blame lies with) and complain.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:37 PM

4,580 posts, read 9,418,248 times
Quote:
Being scared to drive and wary of others who don't know how
are completely different things.

You don't drive drunk. Does that mean that you don't give a
thought to the guy weaving around behind or ahead of you
who is obviously bombed?

I can't tell you the number of times I've heard someone with
a 4-wheel-drive vehicle tell me that they are not effected by
snow/ice because "My car is a 4-wheel-drive vehicle ..."

way to over analyze there Mortimer, I was being sarcastic, you should understand that.

I dont have a 4-wheel drive, but the same goes to you, if you need me to give you a ride, hop aboard, we can all sit in the front seat of my truck and listen to Christams songs, I just hope the passenger dosent duck down cause then that would leave me and the guy in the middle looking like a couple.

and what is 2 hours gonna do, the city isnt even equipped to handle a storm much less clear all the roads in 2 hours.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:14 PM

4,090 posts, read 3,113,051 times
What percent of city workers have kids at APS and why should the entire city stop for two hours at considerable expense to make it easier for those with kids?

There are two possibilities. One is that a delay costs the city. The other is that city employees are required to use leave. Why should EVERY city worker have to use their leave when they don't all have kids? And if the city pays for it, why should the taxpayer pick up the tab for EVERY city worker to accomodate those with kids?

Last edited by GOPATTA2D; 12-09-2009 at 07:59 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,511,497 times
" One is that a delay costs the city."

It does? How much does it cost the city?

" The other is that city employees are required to use leave."

The policy for how the time off is "counted" depends on the employee's position/job/contract.

"And if the city pays for it, why should the taxpayer pick up the tab for EVERY city worker to accomodate those with kids. "

Please show how a city office that usually opens at 8 AM opening at 10 AM would cost the taxpayer money? Remember, taxpayers without kids already help fund public schools, parks, programs, etc. used by kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque