Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 01:50 PM

150 posts, read 317,116 times

Advertisements

So, thanks in advance for reading and thanks for any and all responses. I am writing this on behalf of my pops who is looking into moving down here from Missouri.

Here goes. The main questions he has revolves around the type of work he does. He is a sub contracter and his area of expertise is in Home Preservation. He contracts with HUD and FHA to do most of his work. So in essence, he goes in and takes care of homes after they have been foreclosed on. Most of the time its small stuff like cleaning the yards, fixing broken windows, removing the owners property, etc. Anyhow, the first issue he has is looking for a place to live. He will most likely want to lease/rent for the 1st year or 2, until he decides where he wants to anchor down. He needs a house, of course, and the house would need to have a lot of storage space. On occasion he has to store trailers full of property for a few days, etc. So he needs to find an area that the ordinances or laws will allow him to have trailers on the side of his house, sometimes full of crap. He would prefer to live near the city, due to the fact that most of his work will be in the city, but he doesnt mind driving out of the city if need be. Ideas?

2. Does anyone know the laws when it comes to pulling trailers. His DL certifies him to pull up to 18,000lbs and in Missouri he is not required to carry a special permit to pull his trailers full of crap. Does NM require a haouling permit? Or if you can link me to a site with this information I would appreciate it.

I will stop at that for now. He gave me a list of stuff to research for him, but I don't have the time for this right now. haha. I have a feeling my prescious weekend will be consumed with doing research for my pops. Dang.

Thanks again everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 02:20 PM

366 posts, read 869,206 times
As far as number 1 goes I think you should be ok in Albuquerque I don't know of any laws limiting trailers. From Frequently Asked Questions - Planning Department - City of Albuquerque (http://www.cabq.gov/planning/faq.html - broken link) it talks about RVs, boats and boat trailers, "Recreational vehicles, boats and boat trailers may be parked inside or outside in the side yard or rear yard, provided that no part of the unit extends over a public sidewalk. They may also be parked in the front yard if the unit is parked perpendicular to the front curb, the body or the RV or boat is at least 11 feet from the face of the curb, and no part of the unit extends over the public sidewalk." I assume the same rules would apply to a normal trailer...

For number 2, the back of my regular old NM drivers license says, "D-1 vehicle less than 26,0001 lb GVWR. May not tow great lbs. than vehicle except w/class 4 equalizer hitch or 5th wheel." So he should be fine just towing his trailer around with his truck.

Might want to double check with the DMV and such, but it doesn't sound like it would be an issue.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:04 PM

150 posts, read 317,116 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
As far as number 1 goes I think you should be ok in Albuquerque I don't know of any laws limiting trailers. From Frequently Asked Questions - Planning Department - City of Albuquerque (http://www.cabq.gov/planning/faq.html - broken link) it talks about RVs, boats and boat trailers, "Recreational vehicles, boats and boat trailers may be parked inside or outside in the side yard or rear yard, provided that no part of the unit extends over a public sidewalk. They may also be parked in the front yard if the unit is parked perpendicular to the front curb, the body or the RV or boat is at least 11 feet from the face of the curb, and no part of the unit extends over the public sidewalk." I assume the same rules would apply to a normal trailer...

For number 2, the back of my regular old NM drivers license says, "D-1 vehicle less than 26,0001 lb GVWR. May not tow great lbs. than vehicle except w/class 4 equalizer hitch or 5th wheel." So he should be fine just towing his trailer around with his truck.

Might want to double check with the DMV and such, but it doesn't sound like it would be an issue.
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque