U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support or oppose a new Westside School District?
Support 16 61.54%
Oppose 6 23.08%
Don't know; too soon to decide 1 3.85%
Don't care; whatever! 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:26 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,365,073 times

Advertisements

They could fire every teacher at APS and replace them with professors from MIT, Harvard et al. and the performance of the district would not change. Change starts at home with parents who value education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 03:30 PM

1,732 posts, read 3,623,473 times
My son is in his second year of APS special needs preschool. The program is adequate. He then attends a private Montessori for the remainder of the day. The program is excellent.

The problem is that for children with special needs, APS provides fairly good services, including my son's badly needed speech therapy. For us to send him to full day K with after school speech 2 days a week makes a very long day for a five year old even longer.

I don't know when my son will age out of speech. Unfortunately he spent the first 34 months of his life in an orphanage with no speech therapy and was pretty much non-verbal until he was 3 1/2. He is now significantly delayed and a school that will offer pull out sessions for therapy is ideal. So, we are looking at charter schools.

If he does not get into one by lottery, I am not sure what we will do...perhaps waiver him into RRPS. Perhaps waiver him into the best public elem school we can, but it's hard to know who offers the best speech therapy for him until we get started with a therapist.

It's challenging enough to be the parent of a moderately special needs child. I don't know how parents of severely in need children do it.

And I resent the fact that public education is supposed to be free, and equal and provide what is needed for my child to be a success but if I really really want that, I can plan on shelling out 10k plus each year until he graduates.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:46 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,886,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
They could fire every teacher at APS and replace them with professors from MIT, Harvard et al. and the performance of the district would not change. Change starts at home with parents who value education.
You fix what you have control over. Bad parenting can not be allowed to continue
to serve as an excuse for poor schools...

Have you stopped to consider that poor schools do nothing to motivate parents
or students to clean up their own acts? From their perspectives, why bother if the
teachers and programs are of little value to begin with?

If you drop out at 16 and you see that the kid next door who got straight B+
grades graduates with no better math or other skills than you, a drop-out, have,
then what is the point of continuing to struggle? Such results continue to reinforce
the perception that education is utterly futile.

The perception that education is utterly futile takes the pressure to perform
off APS.

Because APS doesn't perform, it takes the pressure off parents to attempt to
motivate their kids.

The end result is generation after generation of poorly educated citizens and
an enormous wastage of energy and funds.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 PM

Nonsense. We can't expect a total stranger (teacher) who spends an hour or two a day with a kid to have a greater influence on a kid than his parents do.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 PM

As I said, you fix what you can fix.

Since you are so determined to leave the school systems unchanged, perhaps
you could give us YOUR vision of APS' future?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:57 PM

APS cannot fix the problem until it admits they have a problem. Likewise, parents cannot expect APS to accept responsibility for the issue until they are willing to accept responsibility.

Evaluate the scores by region. The kids in the areas like Los Alamos or certain areas in NE heights do quite well. The presumption is that their educated parents understand the value of education and instill the same into their kids. It is much larger than just an APS problem.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 PM

In response to your question, the best solution is to test kids in about 8th grade and segregate them into schools based upon their cognitive ability. Teachers spend hours dealing with discipline issues or similar while the good kids languish.

You might be surprised to learn that the NM constituition makes a specific point that all education in NM shall be in English. That was the intent 100 years ago. We spend millions on ESL programs while native students suffer. If we devoted the same resources to the smart kids as we do to the illegals, just think how well they might do.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:15 PM

238 posts, read 521,962 times
Thumbs up Retort-illa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post

You fix what you have control over. Bad parenting can not be allowed to continue
to serve as an excuse for poor schools...

Have you stopped to consider that poor schools do nothing to motivate parents
or students to clean up their own acts? From their perspectives, why bother if the
teachers and programs are of little value to begin with?

If you drop out at 16 and you see that the kid next door who got straight B+
grades graduates with no better math or other skills than you, a drop-out, have,
then what is the point of continuing to struggle? Such results continue to reinforce
the perception that education is utterly futile.

The perception that education is utterly futile takes the pressure to perform
off APS.

Because APS doesn't perform, it takes the pressure off parents to attempt to
motivate their kids.

The end result is generation after generation of poorly educated citizens and
an enormous wastage of energy and funds.

Brilliant retort as usual, Mike!

Anyone ever consider restructuring APS in a military school and/or boarding school style setting? There are tons of boarding schools in England. Why not take the kid away from the bad parents and nurture him or her in a positive learning environment? I know military structure is excellent for kids. Just look at how well-behaved most of our military men and women are. I think that would straighten schools, parents, and especially students up really quick. Not only that, but it may better prepare the kids for going away from mommy and daddy when they get to college.

If I were the 'King of New Mexico', I would install mandatory uniforms for each public school; have students participate in a mandatory extra-curricular activity, such as band, sports, chess club, DECA, etc.; give out vouchers to cut taxes, give students and parents a choice in what school to send their kids, and force everyone at APS from the top on down to compete fairly and educate our kids or face consequences; lastly, I would re-install corporal punishment for kids that misbehave.

We used to have that in America, until the bleeding hearts got rid of it, stating it "traumatized" our kids. What a bunch of BS (do they still do that in Catholic schools out here?). Kids NEED discipline and direction, and they need to have a moral code of right and wrong installed in them at an early age. Our state and country is full of people with absolutely no singular direction in life. And that is sad, and is probably why we are lagging behind the rest of the world when we used to dominate and lead the world in nearly every category known to man. If we do not do something, the dumbing down of America will continue.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

--BtK

Old 12-15-2009, 10:20 PM

Hmmmm.... I don't think I'm comfortable with "English Boarding Schools" and "Discipline"
used in the same post..

Remember Winston Churchill's comment on the importance of British Naval Traditions..

"Rum, Buggery and the Lash..."

Old 12-15-2009, 10:24 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,044,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
In response to your question, the best solution is to test kids in about 8th grade and segregate them into schools based upon their cognitive ability. Teachers spend hours dealing with discipline issues or similar while the good kids languish.
This would be an excellent idea. I remember doing the Eleven Plus back in England to see which "band" I would be going to in Secondary school.

Secondary school was split into bands, three classes in each. Dark Band for the more academic students and Light Band for those who needed a little extra help.

I was in a smaller town but in the cities they sent students to different schools depending on the Eleven Plus results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque