Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support or oppose a new Westside School District?
Support 16 61.54%
Oppose 6 23.08%
Don't know; too soon to decide 1 3.85%
Don't care; whatever! 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 03:30 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,348 times

Advertisements

I've recently started receiving mailers from ABQPASS, a group advocating a new West Albuquerque school district (to be split off of APS). I also saw a brief piece last night about this on KOAT.

I am a resident of the west side, and as far as I'm concerned a new Westside School District (WSD) can't happen soon enough. The new WSD wouldn't exist for at least 2 years. I've long felt that APS has become overgrown, inefficient, and unwieldy, and should probably be broken into at least 3 separate districts.

If this new district should come to pass, it would immediately become the 3rd largest in the state (after APS and Las Cruces Public Schools), and include West Mesa, Cibola, & Volcano Vista High Schools (along with their associated cluster schools) and the new Westside Stadium. There would also be capital outlay plans for one new high school, middle school and elementary school.

I'm curious what others may think about the proposed WSD. As I said before, I think it is an idea that is long overdue.

Chap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 03:40 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
APS should be broken-up into different districts, yes.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:40 PM

16 posts, read 32,677 times
I guess you people enjoy having more and more taxes shoved down your gullets!
Have you even taken the time to investigate the costs to the west side residents in developing and implementing the WSD? Enormous infrastructure and personel costs amounting to over $85,000,000 (which is probably a low estiment) Granted, APS is full of problems, but I personally do not believe this City, let alone this State, is ready to take on this additional financial burden!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:46 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
I support it although I don't have a direct stake in the fight (daughter is 37).

Why? Because APS' response to this is not to initiate long overdue revisions,
but to whine that it would be "unfair" since APS would then be stuck with lower
graduation rates from the remaining parts of the system and that would make
the "professionals" look bad.

No, I'm not making that up.. it's right in the Journal article...

Old 12-14-2009, 04:18 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
The ABQPASS site says:

Q. Will the district increase my taxes?
A. No tax increase will be necessary, as the new district will have significant financial resources. CASA, a citizen advocacy group, hired a leading school bond financial advisor to perform a feasibility study, which confirms the district's ability to function without a tax increase.

So, which taxes are going to be shoved down our gullets?

Old 12-14-2009, 04:41 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
APS should be broken-up into different districts, yes.
How many do you suggest?

Old 12-14-2009, 04:58 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abgofet View Post
I guess you people enjoy having more and more taxes shoved down your gullets!
Have you even taken the time to investigate the costs to the west side residents in developing and implementing the WSD? Enormous infrastructure and personel costs amounting to over $85,000,000 (which is probably a low estiment) Granted, APS is full of problems, but I personally do not believe this City, let alone this State, is ready to take on this additional financial burden!
Actually, if you have read some of my other previous posts, you would realize that my gullet is quite averse to "more and more taxes" being shoved down it.

That being said, I don't have any delusions that I will ever be totally free from paying "my share" of taxes. Therefore, I would like to see as much return on my tax dollars as possible. Right now, I would currently characterize the return on my APS investment as abysmal. I would venture to say that keeping the folks providing the funds (taxpayers/parents) and those providing the services (teachers/administrators) as close as possible would foster better ROI. APS does a stellar job of insulating their administrators in bureaucracy. I can only imagine the waste that occurs there on a daily basis.

I think if Rio Rancho can break away from APS and establish one the premier districts in the state, its not a big stretch to think that the ABQ's west side could do the same.

I'd love to see school vouchers enter the equation as well, but I don't see that one happening any time soon.

Also, as ktc alluded to, where do you get your $85 million estimate from?

Chap

Old 12-14-2009, 05:39 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
how many do you suggest?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
I agree, but completely disband APS and start afresh!

Old 12-15-2009, 07:06 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
I agree, but completely disband APS and start afresh!
But seriously, how would they do that? One of the reasons they brought in Winston Brooks with his "outsider" experience, was a proven track record with both a public ( Wichita Public Schools ) and an impressive private school district ( Wichita Diocese and Bishop Carroll HS in Wichita )

In the first couple of years as the superintendent of WPS, he helped get over $200 million in bond money passed. In Feb of 2010 a similar bond here ( for over $600 million ) is being proposed.

I honestly do not know whether or not that will pass. Voter turnout being so low ( didn't someone say about 10%?!?! ) really shows an appalling lack of concern about education in this city. Even voters without children attending an APS school should be concerned about public education.

I, for one, am very concerned about my son's future and so unimpressed with APS that I hope by the time he enters the more important middle school and high school, we have some choices for high quality education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque