Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 PM

9 posts, read 25,838 times

Advertisements

Since the two zipcodes border each other on the north side of zip 87111 and almost seem to overlap, one would think that there's really not that much difference when looking at homes in the two zipcodes. After some quick searching, it seems as though there's a few more newer homes in 87122, when seems to make sense because it's a little further out - but not by much in reality. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,504,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1347 View Post
one would think that there's really not that much difference when looking at homes in the two zipcodes.

After some quick searching, it seems as though there's a few more newer homes in 87122, when seems to make sense because it's a little further out - but not by much in reality. Am I missing something?
The cost of housing and order of development doesn't really follow the zip code maps.

Sandia Heights in 87122 has been there a while, maybe more than 10 years? It tends to have some expensive homes.

Zip 87111 has development popping up thought the west side of the area at various times.

The East side of both areas is national or state forrests and Sandia Mountain...

http://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Alb...ew-Mexico.html

There are a lot of nice areas in both zips, but you really need to visit....

Rich

Old 12-29-2009, 10:11 PM

107 posts, read 343,248 times
One of the best amenities I love about Abq is the fact there is no sprawl. So with that being said and the fact I live in the 87111 I conclude these neighborhoods are older and more architecturally "mature".

I look at my son's school and it's still in great condition for being built in the 50's, but it's probably functionally obsolete. The costs though to obtain property for new construction would be astronomical just for the fact homes, a neighborhood would have to be condemned or taken by the governments right of escheat.

I don't see this as a hindrance to the community, it's actually really charming by the shear measure the community is bound together and not broken into bits because of sprawl that yet has established any history.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,139,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1347 View Post
Am I missing something?
Don't go by zip code. Way too much variety. It's like comparing Missouri and Kansas as places to live in terms of which neighborhood is better.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 AM

3,556 posts, read 10,182,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyjett View Post
One of the best amenities I love about Abq is the fact there is no sprawl...
Que?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 AM

107 posts, read 343,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Que?
You may have much more time in Abq, so enlighten me as to where I'd find the sprawl. Coming from Atlanta the land of urban sprawl. Abq is nothing in comparison. This is usually a side effect of major cities. Abq has yet to identify itself as major.

Sure your surrounding cities are experiencing some growth, but if that's "sprawl" to you, I love your small town homie outlook!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,139,336 times
I'm going to have side with rybert here: ¿Qué? Lots and lots of sprawl. Not a lot by Atlanta's standards, but hardly "no sprawl".

Recommend taking the following drives for additional convincing:

I-40 W to Coors, N to Irving, W to Unser, N to 550, E on 550 to I-25.
I-40 W to 98th, S to Dennis Chavez.
I-25 S to Los Lunas, E on Main, S on 47, E on El Cerro, S on Manzano Expy.
I-40 E to Edgewood (NM 344), N.
Juan Tabo South to Southern, W to Eubank.

Further, much of 87111 might be termed as sprawl according to some definitions, though it at least had a pretty good set of plats and zoning drawn up to discourage non-walkability, bottlenecked subdivisions, and long distances to businesses.

Perhaps in the end it's a matter of what "sprawl" is to you. The aforementioned drives meet most locals' definitions.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyjett View Post
You may have much more time in Abq, so enlighten me as to where I'd find the sprawl. Coming from Atlanta the land of urban sprawl. Abq is nothing in comparison. This is usually a side effect of major cities. Abq has yet to identify itself as major.

Sure your surrounding cities are experiencing some growth, but if that's "sprawl" to you, I love your small town homie outlook!
I think you're correct, in terms of actual sprawl (just coming from a trip to IKEA in Tempe, AZ) ours is not as bad as others. However, it is still sprawl.

As a kid there was NOTHING built West of Paradise Hills. The community center with the waterslide was the edge of the universe.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:52 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,024,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
Perhaps in the end it's a matter of what "sprawl" is to you.
Sprawl is housing density to me.

There is just about as much sprawl in Los Angeles as in Albuquerque
as in Silver City by my definition. There are less people in SC than
in LA, so the amount of land taken up by houses, etc. is less, but
the sprawl is the same to me.

I'd say the majority of people looking to move to NM state in their
originating post or soon after, something to the effect of:

"I don't want to live in some postage stamp-sized
lot that some greedy developer put some cookie-cutter
house on. I want some space between me and my neighbor."

By my definition of sprawl, Edgewood is far "sprawlier" than Albuquerque.

Keeping on topic, 87122 is also far "sprawlier" than 87111 due to all
the houses on large lots. It doesn't appear that way at first, since
you see all that desert vegetation between the houses instead of
a sea of roofs, but it is.

People have to live somewhere.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:57 AM

Ah... the root of the problem... people. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque