U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2010, 12:54 PM

3,693 posts, read 6,496,534 times

Advertisements

We're working with the Sunport on some renovations. I'm there once or twice a week. Doesn't seem to be operating any slower than usual.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 AM

236 posts, read 377,456 times
We flew out of the Sunport Dec. 22. They've added one full-body-wave-scanner thingie, but it's optional, you can choose whether or not to go through it.

Unfortunately, my husband headed straight for it because its line was shortest. We hadn't heard about it on the news yet, and I certainly didn't know how revealing it is, or how much radiation it may zap you with. I'm kinda mad, now, that they have no sort of warning or even descriptive signs about it.

In Austin, however, security refused to accept my temporary New Mexico driver's license, but I was carrying my passport just in case. Austin TSA personnel were really unpleasant compared to our home team.

Then hubby flew again Dec. 30, and got dinged for (stupidly) including a 1" cheese spreader in his carry-on. But after politely examining his bag and the spreader, they let him through because the blade wasn't serrated. Go figure.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:10 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,818,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieBelize View Post
We flew out of the Sunport Dec. 22. They've added one full-body-wave-scanner thingie, but it's optional, you can choose whether or not to go through it.

Unfortunately, my husband headed straight for it because its line was shortest. We hadn't heard about it on the news yet, and I certainly didn't know how revealing it is, or how much radiation it may zap you with. I'm kinda mad, now, that they have no sort of warning or even descriptive signs about it.

In Austin, however, security refused to accept my temporary New Mexico driver's license, but I was carrying my passport just in case. Austin TSA personnel were really unpleasant compared to our home team.

Then hubby flew again Dec. 30, and got dinged for (stupidly) including a 1" cheese spreader in his carry-on. But after politely examining his bag and the spreader, they let him through because the blade wasn't serrated. Go figure.
The full body scanner at ABQ uses millimeter wave technology (not backscatter X-ray technology), which emits less radiation than a cell phone.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:28 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,606,675 times
The body scanner has been there for a while ( three years at least? ) and I don't mind it. I'd like to see them add a premier/ff line so I don't have to continue to get behind people who don't take their shoes off and are traveling with Costco sized shampoo in their carry on.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:31 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,074,054 times
The body scanner is new and was added just months ago. They replacing the puffers that were there for the last three years or so. CMIAW

Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,606,675 times
Oh, I never go to the right so they looked the same to me.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:01 PM

188 posts, read 454,741 times
Just at Sunport yesterday and did not feel any more security presence than usual. Went to the right and was scanned.. all good.

FYI-- time of day: 3:30pm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque