Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 11:52 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack cleary View Post
by the way is there a forum devoted to tax lightning? i could not locate one. this is my first post on this site so maybe i couold not locate the tax lightning forum. thanks
There are several Tax Lighting threads I would recommend this one to keep subjects in one area: Tax Lightning - Unconstitutional Property Tax - what to do next?

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 AM

10 posts, read 16,581 times
Default Geeks win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
I have a feeling ( and absolutely no proof ) that the "jock" set fares less well than the "geeks". I know there are exceptopns and I base this solely on my graduating class which, being the school it is/was, had a 99% graduation rate and 95% rate of entering college the following year as freshmen. The jocks struggled.

...I guess that's what bothers me about the stadium. I think APS is sending a message that sports is as important as academics. I feel this can only be said when the focus and the acheivment is first given to academics. Once a majority of students can succeed in one, they get the other.

That's the rule at our house...homework first then play.
Karma, there IS PROOF: Add up ALL the professional "atheletes" combined, and they STILL would make less than BILL GATES (Supreme Geek) does in 1 YEAR, much less the other Microsoft founders, Steve Jobs of Apple, the Yahoo/Google Internet guys, etc.Then there is the 2nd tier, of all those who went to college for academics: Lawyers, Doctors, Accountants, Engineers, Scientists, and Business (all those little startups - Mc D's, Subway, Krispy Kreme, Hotels, Real Estate, etc.). A GOOD Education is the BEST hope/chance, but APS is filled with BAD CULTURAL influences that don't care/emphasize/value education! They value gangs, welfare (get girls pregnant at 15 to start welfare ASAP, etc., and put their kids in "competitive" sports at younger and younger ages, but dump them into APS to babysit (most without any real preschool or early learning)! And APS does NOTHING but "coddle" them by holding sports positions, or high school "daycares" for the Teens' babies! What's next Jr High daycares?So many kids are geting hurt (career ending) younger/earlier in sports (don't even make it to high school sports), or drop out before they even reach high school. "SPORTS/MONEY" won't help that, CULTURAL CHANGE is what is NEEDED - VALUE EDUCATION in the FAMILY (from the parents to grandparents). APS needs to support THAT FIRST, AND be FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE (get rid of top heavy management)!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:59 PM

238 posts, read 634,819 times
Thumbs up Best... Post... Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCboy View Post

Karma, there IS PROOF: Add up ALL the professional "atheletes" combined, and they STILL would make less than BILL GATES (Supreme Geek) does in 1 YEAR, much less the other Microsoft founders, Steve Jobs of Apple, the Yahoo/Google Internet guys, etc.Then there is the 2nd tier, of all those who went to college for academics: Lawyers, Doctors, Accountants, Engineers, Scientists, and Business (all those little startups - Mc D's, Subway, Krispy Kreme, Hotels, Real Estate, etc.).

A GOOD Education is the BEST hope/chance, but APS is filled with BAD CULTURAL influences that don't care/emphasize/value education!

They value gangs, welfare (get girls pregnant at 15 to start welfare ASAP, etc., and put their kids in "competitive" sports at younger and younger ages, but dump them into APS to babysit (most without any real preschool or early learning)! And APS does NOTHING but "coddle" them by holding sports positions, or high school "daycares" for the Teens' babies! What's next Jr High daycares?So many kids are geting hurt (career ending) younger/earlier in sports (don't even make it to high school sports), or drop out before they even reach high school. "SPORTS/MONEY" won't help that, CULTURAL CHANGE is what is NEEDED - VALUE EDUCATION in the FAMILY (from the parents to grandparents). APS needs to support THAT FIRST, AND be FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE (get rid of top heavy management)!
Probably the best post I have ever read here, or at least in the top 10. Funny thing is, I have written about how terrible and low-aiming New Mexico's culture is and has been for a while since my first post to this forum. The sad thing was that I got jumped on by a few here who obviously did not read what I wrote and/or interpreted it as "bashing" their precious New Mexico.

I have lived here for a great chunk of my life and the thing that always depresses and sometimes frightens me is the lack of education and self-esteem issues in NM's culture. Even though some of the people you listed didn't graduate college, they still got a higher education and made something of themselves. Bill Gates had to leave NM in order to become what he is now, which is as sad as it is ironic.

Fatalism.

Defeatism.

Such endless potential just wasted. Sad.

--BtK

Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 4,457 times
Default We Should Work All Angles to Keep Children in School

I promise you, APS is spending exponentially more on education than they are on a third sports stadium. APS has hardly sent a message that sports is as important as athletics when you note that we have 2 stadiums for something like 14 high schools. Again...Rio Rancho has TWO stadiums for TWO high schools and last time I checked they had a higher graduation rate than APS.

I think it's foolish for the educated elite to take a one-prong approach to making students successful. Yes, there are some student athletes who don't achieve academic success beyond high school, but there are a lot who do. My children were student athletes; one of my children was also valedictorian at his APS high school. The other two are in the top 10% scholastically. And while neither of my children who have since graduated are playing professional sports, I feel they are well-rounded individuals who truly benefited from extracurricular activities offered at their high schools.

You should also take into account the pride students have in their schools when they have a great athletic team to cheer about. Winning attitudes can help all around. And so you know, westside schools DO recognize the importance of the high achieving student, or "geek," as some of you call them. Both Cibola and Volcano Vista have parent sponsored "Top 10 Students" banquets that honor academic performance. We realize that star athletes do tend to get a lot of attention and we feel like this is one way our school community can show the importance of ALSO doing well in school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
I guess that's what bothers me about the stadium. I think APS is sending a message that sports is as important as academics. I feel this can only be said when the focus and the acheivment is first given to academics. Once a majority of students can succeed in one, they get the other.

That's the rule at our house...homework first then play.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:05 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVHS_Mom View Post
I promise you, APS is spending exponentially more on education than they are on a third sports stadium. APS has hardly sent a message that sports is as important as athletics when you note that we have 2 stadiums for something like 14 high schools. Again...Rio Rancho has TWO stadiums for TWO high schools and last time I checked they had a higher graduation rate than APS.

I think it's foolish for the educated elite to take a one-prong approach to making students successful. Yes, there are some student athletes who don't achieve academic success beyond high school, but there are a lot who do. My children were student athletes; one of my children was also valedictorian at his APS high school. The other two are in the top 10% scholastically. And while neither of my children who have since graduated are playing professional sports, I feel they are well-rounded individuals who truly benefited from extracurricular activities offered at their high schools.

You should also take into account the pride students have in their schools when they have a great athletic team to cheer about. Winning attitudes can help all around. And so you know, westside schools DO recognize the importance of the high achieving student, or "geek," as some of you call them. Both Cibola and Volcano Vista have parent sponsored "Top 10 Students" banquets that honor academic performance. We realize that star athletes do tend to get a lot of attention and we feel like this is one way our school community can show the importance of ALSO doing well in school.
Just be lucky you send your kid to a better APS school. When I lived in Albuquerque, I refused to send my son anywhere but Pius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque