Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 10:25 AM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious to know what the motorcycle community is like in ABQ. NYC isn't motorcycle friendly. Roads, people and cagers make it difficult to ride in the city. However, where I live the roads are some of the best in this region to ride motorcycles on. I'm curious if the same could be said in ABQ. I own a 2006 Suzuki GSX-R 750. I'm looking to get a nice cruiser to replace this bike hopefully down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
Well, oblivious drivers are a problem everywhere, but the traffic density here is a
lot less than in really big cities so that helps a lot. ABQ is nicely positioned to easily
reach SUPERB bike roads with spectacular scenery. The Sange de Cristo mountains
are only a little over an hour away, Taos two and a half; Durango a bit over three,
El Malpais an hour, Abiquiu and Ghost Ranch two..

I rode about 6,000 "road trip" miles here last year in just the July through October
period and the local riders' groups are still organizing rides every couple weeks although
they are avoiding the mountains for obvious reasons.

New Years Day about 20 of us met for breakfast and then did a 70 mile ride
around the city perimiter just because we could... the next day another group
(including some of the same riders) rode south to Socorro on secondary roads
through the bosque communities and then hustled back on I-25.

There is a very active riding community here that is NOT all about swilling beer
and toothless grins... PM me and I'll give you some web links..

September; climbing toward Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado.. cold, rain, sleet, hail
and snow over the next two days...

Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
The ABQ area seems to be a good motorcycle community. I rode in this area for about five years. Considering riding again. There are a lot of events:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md-4wkFYJyk

The 17th Annual Rio Rancho Toy Run took place on Sunday, November 22nd, 2009.Thousands of motorcycles participated.

This video was taken at the intersection of U.S. 550 & New Mexico 528, Bernalillo, NM. We
wanted to capture the atmosphere of thousands of motorcycles donating toys and food baskets for local families.

This run started at the Rio Rancho High School and ended up at the Italian-American Association in Rio Rancho where there was music, refreshments etc.

I thought I read 7,000 motorcycles attended.

Rich

Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 AM

Not that I wouldn't wear a helmet, but is there a helmet law in NM? PA is the only state I know of in the NE where helmets aren't a requirement. Riding season is usually done by late October early November. Personally I'm more into the back country road than the super slab.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
No helmet law in NM. But I normally wore one 99% of the times.

Rich

Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Not the best looking pic of my bike, but here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcyle and Albuquerque.-bike.jpg  

Old 01-07-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The ABQ area seems to be a good motorcycle community. I rode in this area for about five years. Considering riding again.

Rich
Wow that was a lot of bikes. My house is off a major thoroughfare and during the weekends this is all I see.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:57 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
Toothless grin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque