Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 AM

995 posts, read 2,728,078 times

Advertisements

I guess I could always send my kids to catholic school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 07:33 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Urb- The stadium ties in perfectly to this thread. Once again, a valid source has recognized New Mexico's shortcomings in educating its children.

Next month, voters are asked to approve a 600+ million dollar bond to fund school improvement. Most of us who recognize the flaws in the education system in this state ( and most of us are most familiar with the APS/RR school systems ) believe that the 35 MILLION DOLLAR sports stadium included in that bond measure will do little to impact student education and test performance.

In fact, I'm still looking for a source that can both breakdown the 600+ million into specifics and tie those specifics into tangible investments into improving educational quality. Anyone know of one?
Perhaps some of the money could be allocated towards teaching parents on how to be better parents. It's funny: we are required as citizens to taking driving lessons and pass exams before operating a vehicle lawfully, yet, there is nothing that prohibits or constrains the human species from learning how to be an effective parent. This sounds so elementary, but yet, you see the decay of parenting in every facet of life, when it comes to how children behave in public, especially.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Perhaps some of the money could be allocated towards teaching parents on how to be better parents. It's funny: we are required as citizens to taking driving lessons and pass exams before operating a vehicle lawfully, yet, there is nothing that prohibits or constrains the human species from learning how to be an effective parent. This sounds so elementary, but yet, you see the decay of parenting in every facet of life, when it comes to how children behave in public, especially.
You are now preaching to the choir. I won't go into the details of my life, but I had a father who was a drunk and a mother who was on welfare. I myself was a father @ the age of 19 with a GED and no postsecondary job skills. Fast-forward 18 years later. I be lying if I said I don't have a college fund saved up for my 4 kids, or sit and watch Yo Gabba Gabba or Nick Jr. with my two youngest. My oldest girl 'thank god' is about to be shipped off to college @ the end of this school year. My oldest boy is holding a 90 average in school and activily participates in wrestling. Every nite before I tuck my youngest boy into bed, him and I sit and laught about nothing. Being poor is not an excuse to neglect your kid both emotionally and physically. However, this always seems to be the case with some poor people.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times
Quote:
It really makes being Pro-Choice an easier pill to swallow.

Whoa, that's not appropriate, is it?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
It really makes being Pro-Choice an easier pill to swallow.

Whoa, that's not appropriate, is it?
It seems less appropriate in this part of the country, I will say. But I am proudly pro-choice, and the discourse contained in this thread is a big part of why.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 AM

741 posts, read 2,923,184 times
Quote:
Yet another (more than likely) government entity dictating personal/private behavior? :shudder: It scares me to think what some bureaucracy would define as a "good parent". The only functions such an entity would serve would be to create a perfunctory hoop to jump through and enlarge the size of government/add to taxation coffers.

Driven in ABQ lately? I don't think NM's licensing/testing of the population is keeping the bad drivers off the road.

You can't legislate personal/parental responsibility. If it was possible, it would have happened long ago. Not that the politicians haven't tried their darnedest.

Chap

Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Yet another (more than likely) government entity dictating personal/private behavior? :shudder: It scares me to think what some bureaucracy would define as a "good parent". The only functions such an entity would serve would be to create a perfunctory hoop to jump through and enlarge the size of government/add to taxation coffers.

Driven in ABQ lately? I don't think NM's licensing/testing of the population is keeping the bad drivers off the road.

You can't legislate personal/parental responsibility. If it was possible, it would have happened long ago. Not that the politicians haven't tried their darnedest.

Chap
I couldn't agree more. The only other way to do possibly combat this statewide deficiency in education would be to disincentivize reproduction through tax deductions, rather than incentivizing it, plus rescinding programs such as 'Head Start" EMT, WIC, medicaid, etc. But if you start going down that road, you'd better be prepared to be called all sorts of names, plus picketing.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:07 AM

How about parents sitting down with their kids and helping them with their homework? Whatever happened to those values? It's so much easier to blame the system as oppose to making the parents accountable for the kids education.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:17 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,468 times
Default The New Math

I found this old video and it is shocking to me that the "new" math is not that new at all.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cydcnQf0usg

Old 01-14-2010, 11:27 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
I found this old video and it is shocking to me that the "new" math is not that new at all.....
But you were 8 in 1972... So there!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque