Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:11 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,647 times

Advertisements

The CNM and UNM campuses in Rio Rancho are going to be amazing I bet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 08:43 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
So I gotta ask, what's the facination with elevators? Maybe this has been discussed before and I missed it. Just interested, I've never seen anyone so interested in elevators before.
Well, I have an interest in how new technology comes out in any field, including elevators. The KONE EcoSpace MRL traction elevators are an energy-efficient design that uses 1/3 as much energy as hydraulic and doesn't use any oil. In fact, KONE is now the only major manufacturer who does not produce hydraulic elevators, since the EcoSpace is superior to hydraulic elevators in almost every way.

And in truth, there are many people who have an interest in elevators. Just go to Youtube and see that there are many elevator videos there.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:19 AM

543 posts, read 1,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Well, I have an interest in how new technology comes out in any field, including elevators. The KONE EcoSpace MRL traction elevators are an energy-efficient design that uses 1/3 as much energy as hydraulic and doesn't use any oil. In fact, KONE is now the only major manufacturer who does not produce hydraulic elevators, since the EcoSpace is superior to hydraulic elevators in almost every way.

And in truth, there are many people who have an interest in elevators. Just go to Youtube and see that there are many elevator videos there.

That's cool, didn't know if you were a mechanical engineer or something that specialized in elavators. I figure it's the same facination some folks have with trains. I can honestly say I've learned more about elevators here than I ever have anywhere else. Interesting stuff.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
That's cool, didn't know if you were a mechanical engineer or something that specialized in elavators. I figure it's the same facination some folks have with trains. I can honestly say I've learned more about elevators here than I ever have anywhere else. Interesting stuff.
No, I'm majoring in Computer Science, with a minor in Math. Still, I am interested in elevators, as well as buses and airliners.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:49 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,647 times
Buses I could see... but wow math sucks. If that is the one part I hate about my job as a planner is math.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:03 PM

Since UNM is specifying MRL traction elevators for most of their new projects, I wonder if there will be the day when UNM has MRL elevators from all four major manufacturers (KONE EcoSpace/MonoSpace, ThyssenKrupp Synergy, Otis Gen2, and Schindler 400A). Of course the Schindler 400A is unlikely as Schindler doesn't have offices in New Mexico (all New Mexico orders are handled through their offices in Tempe, Arizona).

FYI, There are two ThyssenKrupp ISIS MRL elevators at the Domenici Center for Student Health Sciences Education. The ThyssenKrupp ISIS has been nicknamed the "C"RISIS by several KONE employees, as one of those elevators in a children's hospital in Seattle broke free from its Kevlar-core ropes. ThyssenKrupp is developing new steel replacement ropes for the ISIS as of today. As a result of the incident, the ISIS was pulled from the market in 2008 and replaced by the Synergy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque