Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:21 AM

47 posts, read 198,136 times

Advertisements

http://www.balloonfiesta.com/

I've always wanted to go and now we'll be in El Paso, TX this year for the Balloon Fiesta. We want to make it a weekender trip.... Any tips or suggestions? I'm assuming hotels/motels book fast but how fast? Should I book a reservation now? We plan to drive to Albq. on Friday, stay the night and drive home Saturday.

Anything to make are trip easier is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 07:54 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,287,822 times
Yes now would be a good time to reserve a room.Try finding a room in the jefferson corridor (off of Alameda and I-25 would be the best) so you will be closer to the event. They jack up the rates during the fest so be prepared to pay.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:56 AM

811 posts, read 2,940,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwife87 View Post
2007 Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta

I've always wanted to go and now we'll be in El Paso, TX this year for the Balloon Fiesta. We want to make it a weekender trip.... Any tips or suggestions? I'm assuming hotels/motels book fast but how fast? Should I book a reservation now? We plan to drive to Albq. on Friday, stay the night and drive home Saturday.

Anything to make are trip easier is appreciated!
Although there are over 16,000 motel/hotel rooms in Albuquerque, I would encourage you to make reservations as soon as possible

Old 05-26-2007, 10:08 AM

179 posts, read 784,051 times
It is truly amazing! My first fiesta was 2005. The weather was great. Last year it was a little disappointing - the weather wasn't cooperating. Book now to have the best hotel choices near Fiesta field or close to the park and ride areas. IMO, park and ride is the way to go. There's so many people.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Yes now would be a good time to reserve a room.Try finding a room in the jefferson corridor (off of Alameda and I-25 would be the best) so you will be closer to the event. They jack up the rates during the fest so be prepared to pay.

HAHA well, we live in Hawaii right now and after looking online at rates last night its nothing compared to here LOL!!!

thanks for the info though. I've only driven through that part of the country so I know nothing of the area or surroundings.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey2nm View Post
It is truly amazing! My first fiesta was 2005. The weather was great. Last year it was a little disappointing - the weather wasn't cooperating. Book now to have the best hotel choices near Fiesta field or close to the park and ride areas. IMO, park and ride is the way to go. There's so many people.
We'll only have this year since we'll be in El Paso for such a short time so hopefully the weather will cooperate.

I was looking at that Park & Ride. That seemed to bethe way to go. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2007, 11:43 AM

We'll only be able to go for a weekend b/c of hubby's work schedule.
Is there a difference between the first weekend (10/5&6) or the last (10/12&13)??

I printed off the visitors guide last night and read through it. Looks like a fun 10 days for anyone who can go!

Old 05-28-2007, 11:24 AM

The only event on 10/5 is at the schools in the morning (good for me because my bedroom balcony overlooks a school playground). So, you will only catch the events on 10/6. Coming 10/12 and 10/13, there are events scheduled morning and night each day. My family is planning to fly in Thursday night (10/4). Last year I bought a balloon calendar and all I can say is "WOW". I think this year I will be in NM for the entire 10 days, that's if I can get someone to cover for me back in NJ. I sure hope so. And yes, the hotels are expensive during that time of year, but it's relative. I've been to HI and those hotels prices are nuts - like NYC. Spending $300 per night - NUTS!!

Old 05-29-2007, 12:02 AM

79 posts, read 327,220 times
Default oohhhhh ahhhhhhhh....

Balloon Fiesta is a beautiful city event! The traffic can get ugly (OK, maybe it's mostly the rude drivers who think they should be granted special privlidges to get to the fiesta first), so Park-N-Ride is always a great idea! DO book now! The last weekend usually has the most planned for spectators.
Around here, the baloonist are enjoying the early morning low temperatures and practicing take-offs and landings and training their crews, so we see three-four baloons floating around the skies in our neighborhood every morning! I've lived in Rio Rancho since 1994 and I still LOVE LOVE LOVE the Balloon Fiesta!
Rose

Old 05-29-2007, 08:09 AM

We bought our house in Rio Rancho in 2005 and we planned a trip to the balloon fiesta that year. Saturday morning, we get up at 4:30AM, get to the park & ride, take the bus to the fairgrounds. It is so dark. So cold and even colder because your feet are wet from the dew on the grass (note to self, next time wear better shoes and bring a little flashlight). We stumbled to the back side of the dawn patrol balloons and were there for the inflating and take off! I was amazed by the dozen balloons. And then, WOW, rows and rows of balloons. Different shapes and sizes. Truly amazing! The following day, we planned on going to the evening event, so Sunday morning we stayed home. We got a beautiful showing of balloons from our home. We later learned that we are in the "box". The balloons will take off and try to head towards Bernalillo along the river, then head west and then turn south, back towards the field. Rio Rancho is in the middle of the box. This year will be my 3rd balloon fiesta and I can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque