Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

I would like to retire to central New Mexico. When I run the numbers the lower NM COL just about matches the drop in income. Now to convince my wife it is a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
i would look into a property management company. it's probably worth the 10% to let them worry about collecting rent and maintaining the property.
I second that excellent idea.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:26 AM

41 posts, read 69,252 times
I agree that having someone else deal with the tenants and the maintenance issues is the way to go. It just so happens that my next door neighbors are going to help me with this. The wife is a real estate agent and is going to help me with the listing, lease and other paperwork. Her husband works as a handyman and has connections with plumbers, electricians, etc. He is going to take care of the maintenance aspect.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 AM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxygirl12 View Post
I agree that having someone else deal with the tenants and the maintenance issues is the way to go. It just so happens that my next door neighbors are going to help me with this. The wife is a real estate agent and is going to help me with the listing, lease and other paperwork. Her husband works as a handyman and has connections with plumbers, electricians, etc. He is going to take care of the maintenance aspect.
I'm not sure if this was already asked, but are you looking to sell it in the meantime? I have a 3 family house and either which way, me and my wife are getting out of the landlord business. Too much of a hassle having tenants to worry about all the time.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM

41 posts, read 69,252 times
Oh, I'll probably sell eventually, but I'd like to defer that decision at least a year. I'm pretty sure things are going to work out fine in New Mexico, but in the off chance that it doesn't, it would be nice to have someplace to back to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque