Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 02:58 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
6k for a single ply membrane? sounds really cheap to me buyer beware! I wouldn't trust it! Had a single ply with two inches of insulation it was twice what you quoted!
Sent you a DM.

It would be a straight forward job... no crazy intermediate parapets.

I'm getting the quote later today or tomorrow... I'll let everybody know the results.

I'm hoping that escalation in pricing has dropped-off, but I doubt that the roofing market in NM has really cooled down very much. El Nino and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 03:24 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Flat metal roof?
Lasts a long time, maybe even lifetime?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:30 PM

I've never really heard of a flat metal roof. How does it work?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:52 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
It would have to be standing seam or it won't work. metal deflects and duck ponds.

Go with white or whatever is traditional in the market on the membrane. any heat gain from a darker membrane will be blocked by the insulation.......creating thermal problems (not to mention UV problems) and probably shortening the effective life of the roof. If you are running refrigerated air (why not evaporative? operational costs are far less) you would be better off making sure the duct work is tight and leak proof.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:05 PM

I would have preferred a Swamp Cooler, but it's not my house.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Here's some links:
AISI | Metal Roofing FAQs (http://www.steel.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Roofing1&CONTENTID=5397&TEMPL ATE=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm - broken link)

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ed=0CCYQsAQwAw

http://threadgillsheetmetal.com/retrofit.htm

http://frontierassoc.net/greenafford...fs%20final.pdf

Structural roofing will not puddle up.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Here's some links:
AISI | Metal Roofing FAQs (http://www.steel.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Roofing1&CONTENTID=5397&TEMPL ATE=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm - broken link)

metal flat roof - Google Search

Retrofitting Flat Roofs with Sloped Metal Roofing

http://frontierassoc.net/greenafford...fs%20final.pdf

Structural roofing will not puddle up.
All of these metal roofs have to have a slope. If you wish to re-engineer a flat roof and add a slope to it, that is fine.

"A minimum slope of 2/12 is mandatory for most metal roof panel profiles; however, a steeper slope can be used."
Retrofitting Flat Roofs with Sloped Metal Roofing

Old 02-12-2010, 06:54 AM

A slope to any roof is good, because it will rain at some point in time.

One of the links I provided has a retrofit pre-manufactured slope grid (ready-made trusses) that is easily installed, then covered with metal.

I have owned homes w/flats and they're nothing but trouble. tar and chip, membrane, rubber, they all deteriorate and will leak over time.

A metal roof is forever.

The money that could be saved is enormous, over tar, chip, membrane, rubber.

Once the trusses are installed, and covered with metal, there is very little, if any maintenance required.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:17 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
One of the links I provided has a retrofit pre-manufactured slope grid (ready-made trusses) that is easily installed, then covered with metal.
Of course the manufacture is going to recommend "easily installed ready-made trusses". Truss's to cover approximately a total of 1,700 square feet is not necessarily an "easily installed", cost effective idea in my opinion. The appearance of the house will definitely be changed.

But you originally stated:
Quote:
Flat metal roof?

Old 02-12-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Of course the manufacture is going to recommend "easily installed ready-made trusses". Truss's to cover approximately a total of 1,700 square feet is not necessarily an "easily installed", cost effective idea in my opinion. The appearance of the house will definitely be changed.

But you originally stated:

IMO
I'd consider metal as an option.
If one considers the cost of constant maintenance of the other types, metal will last longer and will be virtually trouble free.

One does not have to purchase the trusses, a good carpenter can build trusses, or, use a rafter system, which I have done before. The other option is to have the roof measured and have engineered trusses built by a lumber supplier and have them deleivered. Trusses, when placed on load bearing walls will last and last when covered with metal..

My ideas are only suggestions for someone to consider, and as long as the owner is paying the bill, he/she could have it done the cheapest way, or, spend some more money and have something that will be appealing and longivity.

It's sort of like when people rehab a home. If floors are bad, and need replacing, sometimes they'll use pressboard for sub flooring, while other might spend more money and put down exterior grade plywoods or hardwoods.

It's the cliche', pay now, or pay later. Cheap isn't always best. The buck stops with the owner and what they decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque