U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2010, 07:44 AM

7 posts, read 18,932 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job at the VA and would like a nice, safe place to live. Have a son in high school. A boring, charmless neighborhood would be fine as long as it has a good school and some amenities and is safe. How far away would I have to live from the hospital which seems to be at the far SE of the city?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,613 times
midelka, don't live in the local Highland High School zone (87106, aka the VA hospital area), unless you want crime, a bad school, and high priced real estate. I'd look in Uptown (87110) to start, and then expand north and east.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,847 times
midelka...it would be helpful to know some of your preferences other than access to the VA and schools...are you planning to rent or buy? Price range? How tolerant are you of commuting? Schools are not great here in NM...(sorry folks, but it's true)...so be prepared. Do you plan to stay on after your son graduates?

Old 02-21-2010, 07:33 PM

1,820 posts, read 2,201,714 times
Highland has a bad reputation but still I know a family whose kids went there and one got into Yale. I think it depends more on the kid than the school. The dropout rate is bad (around half), but maybe that ends up being a positive for the kids who stick it out to the end.

I have a friend who works at the VA and lives in the uptown area, around Candelaria and Louisiana. There's a large area of the east side that's within a reasonable commute.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:48 AM

3,695 posts, read 6,476,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwoodheights View Post
midelka, don't live in the local Highland High School zone (87106, aka the VA hospital area), unless you want crime, a bad school, and high priced real estate. I'd look in Uptown (87110) to start, and then expand north and east.
Ananswerable platitude...

Harvard, Yale, Pepperdine, Rice, etc... people I know that graduated from Highland...

Old 05-29-2010, 06:42 PM

210 posts, read 229,833 times
I recently moved here for a job at the VA and ended up near Eldorado High School, it is a very easy drive to work and seems like a safe area. The class sizes are large but when I registered my son for next year, everyone seemed really friendly in the school. The VA is a great place to work and I hope it works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque