Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 PM

7 posts, read 9,844 times

Advertisements

Hello! So, I mailed my application to the family studies program at UNM this afternoon... and I'm a little nervous. All in all, I am fairly confident that I will be accepted (hopefully with funding) and move to ABQ this fall. I currently live in Portland, Or, but I grew up in San Francisco, and I'm really looking forward to living someplace completely different. Is there anything I should prepare myself for before? Will I totally dry out after living in the lush northwest? Are there places to go dancing where the men aren't totally lecherous?

And yes, of course, does anyone know of a neighborhood with affordable rentals that's relatively close to UNM (biking will probably be my primary mode of transport to and from school)? I have a dog (an English Setter ) so I would love to live close to a fenced dog park, but most important, the neighborhood needs to be safe enough for me to walk him alone at night. I'm moving by myself, and I'm not sure if it makes more sense to find someone to share a house with or go with an apartment. I really want a fenced yard... but I'm a poor college student, so maybe I'm asking too much.

I'm really looking forward to hiking and hot air balloons, and going to museums. I'm thinking about moving down a few weeks before school starts, does anyone have any suggestions for places to go before I'm burdened with grad school responsibility?

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Start by looking around UNM in the UNM North neighborhood and the "student ghetto" directly south of UNM and see what the rental prices are like and if they are what you feel is affordable. I would just work my way out from there if that immediate area is not to my liking - from UNM North, I would go North and East little by little and from the student ghetto I would proceed East towards Carlisle (and southerly as well).

If you can afford to rent in the area north of Central and just east of Girard and W of Carlisle, (along Monte Vista and that area) that is a really nice area that is incredibly easily walkable/bikeable to campus. Its closer than much of the student parking. I am pretty sure it is considered safe (anyone who lives near there now have any opinion?)

Old 02-24-2010, 12:12 AM

508 posts, read 1,087,055 times
Good luck!

Yes, ABQ will be an adjustment but it is a different, unique, and beautiful place. As for housing around UNM, I would recommend a forum search for specifics, but basically anywhere within a mile radius (in any direction) will be good. Neighborhoods to the north and east are perhaps a little nicer as far as housing stock, but areas to the south of campus are closer to cafes etc were you can walk/bike. I'd say you should make a visit out here to see which areas are for you.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,963 times
I second both posts prior to mine. You definitely will dry out your first few weeks, so drink lots of water and bring some good quality creme or lotion. My recommendation is for you to try to catch all the tourist attractions: Old Town, Sandia Peak, etc. and then venture off to attractions for locals, such as ABQ Uptown, the different malls, downtown, nob hill, etc. Then if I were you, I would check out Santa Fe and Taos for a couple of days.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:04 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
It would be smart to arrive early to beat the worst of the rental rush, before everything gets picked over. If you can tolerate a housemate or two, your best option might be a house rental with yard, especially with a big dog. There are parks scattered around the UNM area but I can't think of any off-leash dog parks close by. In many parks the leash laws are often strictly enforced (I have a friend who's been banned from a certain park for violating the rule one too many times). The UNM North Golf Course is a great place for dog-walking.

Yes, you will dry out, so when you buy lotion, go for the industrial size. Unless you're going for that wizened look like me. You'll see a lot of that here. Skin cancer is a threat, but you'll be safe from rickets.

Fall is a great time to arrive. In addition to the sights already mentioned, I recommend the drive up the Turquoise Trail to Madrid, and the Crest Highway up Sandia Peak. Drive up to Jemez Springs for a good introduction to New Mexico geology and culture (once you get past Rio Rancho). There's lots of good hiking in the Sandias, approaching from any angle. After 20 years of hiking there I'm still not tired of it. Here is a great online guide. Don't miss Kasha-Katuwe/Tent Rocks national monument just outside Cochiti Pueblo (dogs not allowed, however). These should get you started. You picked a great place if you love hiking.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:04 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,678 times
Good luck! I went to grad school at UNM. As for dryness, I put about 2 tbsp of olive oil in the tub when I take a bath. Great for your skin. Just make sure to have a specific towel for after the bath as it will smell of oil (you won't though!) This has kept my skin in great condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque