Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 PM

55 posts, read 132,893 times

Advertisements

How long does it take to drive from southern part of Rio Rancho to ABQ airport during the rush hours? To be specific, from Southern/Unser to Gibson/Carlisle. Google says 33 minutes, but I think it may be longer than that with traffic. What are the rush hours there?

For those who live in RR, are there boom cars (play super loud music) around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:12 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
45 minutes

Boom cars? You slay me.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 PM

370+ hours of your life, gone, each year.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyw View Post
For those who live in RR, are there boom cars (play super loud music) around?
Not for long....

Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 PM

Yeah, just like all the drivers with cell phones disappeared...

Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM

55 posts, read 132,893 times
From the map, I can tell that the west side of the river is vulnerable to traffic due to the limited number of bridges. Is I-25 bad as well? I wonder if I can save some time by moving to Bernalillo.
Time is an issue. No one wants to waste time/life on meaningless traffic. I don't want to contribute to the air pollution either. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any convenient public transportation from RR to ABQ. Other than Rio Rancho, it's difficult to find any good area around the airport that is VERY SAFE, good schools and reasonable housing.

I was thinking about biking to work (up to 5 miles one way). A co-worker just told me to forget about it since ABQ has one of the highest rate in DWI.

I will have a chance to visit ABQ next month. Hopefully the visit will change my impression.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times
You are planning living on complete opposite ends of the metropolitan area. If you don't want to waste time with commute, you simply need to live closer. If you are worried about schools, the two best school districts in the metro (top 3 in the state) are much closer than Rio Rancho: La Cueva and Sandia. La Cueva's district is pricy, but Sandia's area is much more reasonable. Albuquerque is one of the best cities to bike in, and you would be very safe biking to work. There are many people on this forum who bike frequently. It was ranked third-best place to bike in the U.S. by Bicycling Magazine , January 2006.

Often, coworkers are not the best source of information. And just out of curiosity, how many drunk drivers do you think are still on the road at 8am?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:37 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
I wonder if I can save some time by moving to Bernalillo.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any convenient public transportation from RR to ABQ.

A co-worker just told me to forget about it since ABQ has one of the highest rate in DWI.

I will have a chance to visit ABQ next month. Hopefully the visit will change my impression.
I live in Rio Rancho, trying to get on I-25 in the morning at Bernalillo is a mess. Afternoons a bit crowded.

I go from Rio Rancho to the VA hospital various times (A bit further than than your destination), usually takes me less than 45 minutes. Traffic at 07:30 is probably the worse.

My wife drives much further to KAFB (27 miles I think) she leaves early, 06:00 and the trip is about 50 minutes or less, she does not go down I-25.

There is some public transportation, it might not be convienent. Start on this page: Bus Routes & Schedules - City of Albuquerque

You think you are safe from DWI's in a car? Maybe a bit better. ABQ is one of the best bike cities in the country.

Rich

Old 02-25-2010, 11:18 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,579 times
If you're considering biking, I would look into a map of bike routes that has the arroyo system - many use the arroyos to get to work and you can (mostly) avoid car traffic altogether. You could also live a few miles north (if you're dead set on new housing) and ride in on the Bosque trail.

There's alot of paranoia about crime. I'm often conflicted on whether to simply lie and tell you that you'll get mugged/shot on the first day of living in any of the fine areas on the southern end of the metro, or to tell you that if you aren't involved in illicit activity than you are really only at risk for property crime (of which there is a risk anywhere). Do some areas have lower crimes rates than others? Yes. Does that mean that your chance of being a victim (as an innocent bystander) varies much from neighborhood to neighborhood? Not so much...at least not to the point that it should really have much bearing on where you decide to live. Check the place out for yourself and decide whether you are comfortable. Also, keep in mind that a post claiming 95% of metro ABQ (area between Rio Rancho and the airport) is not good enough (and making this claim from afar) is not going to win friends in your new city....

I know it's difficult to find good information from a distance, just an FYI.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Other than Rio Rancho, it's difficult to find any good area around the airport that is VERY SAFE, good schools and reasonable housing.
Keep looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque