U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What model of bus should replace the remaining 400-series buses?
New Flyer D30LFR (30-foot diesel) 0 0%
New Flyer D35LFR (35-foot diesel) 0 0%
New Flyer DE30LFR (30-foot diesel-electric hybrid) 0 0%
New Flyer DE35LFR (35-foot diesel-electric hybrid) 2 50.00%
New Flyer C30LFR (30-foot CNG) 0 0%
New Flyer C35LFR (35-foot CNG) 0 0%
Orion VII NG 30-foot diesel 0 0%
Orion VII NG 35-foot diesel 0 0%
Orion VII NG 30-foot diesel-electric hybrid 0 0%
Orion VII NG 35-foot diesel-electric hybrid 0 0%
Orion VII NG 30-foot CNG 0 0%
Orion VII NG 35-foot CNG 0 0%
NABI 31-LFW (31-foot diesel) 0 0%
NABI 35-LFW (35-foot diesel) 0 0%
NABI 31-LFW HEV (31-foot diesel-electric hybrid) 0 0%
NABI 35-LFW HEV (35-foot diesel-electric hybrid) 0 0%
NABI 31-LFW CNG (31-foot CNG) 0 0%
NABI 35-LFW CNG (31-foot CNG) 0 0%
Gillig BRT 31-foot diesel 0 0%
Gillig BRT 35-foot diesel 0 0%
Gillig BRT 31-foot diesel-electric hybrid 0 0%
Gillig BRT 35-foot diesel-electric hybrid 0 0%
ElDorado National EZ Rider II MAX 32-foot diesel 0 0%
ElDorado National EZ Rider II MAX 35-foot diesel 0 0%
ElDorado National EZ Rider II MAX 32-foot diesel-electric hybrid 0 0%
ElDorado National EZ Rider II MAX 35-foot diesel-electric hybrid 0 0%
ElDorado National EZ Rider II MAX 32-foot CNG 0 0%
ElDorado National EZ Rider II MAX 35-foot CNG 0 0%
Other (specify) 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:40 AM

4,530 posts, read 7,065,512 times

Advertisements

While most of ABQ RIDE's 400-series buses have been retired and replaced by the 900-series New Flyer DE40LFRs, about 10 400-series buses are still in service, including the three D-Ride buses.

For the replacement of the remaining 400s, they would have to be replaced by smaller buses.

I personally would choose the New Flyer DE35LFR diesel-electric hybrid. While they are a little longer than the 400s, they would still offer a little more capacity while still having a smaller turning radius than 40-foot buses like the 900s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 11:35 AM

742 posts, read 2,598,110 times
Mono = one
Rail = rail

YouTube - Simpsons - Monorail

Chap

Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 AM

3,556 posts, read 8,821,403 times
Can you give some specs? Which is the most efficient for the money?

Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Can you give some specs? Which is the most efficient for the money?
Well, it is difficult to compare cost effectiveness based on brand, as normally such contracts are tendered out for bids. In addition, the lowest bidder may not always be selected if they are less compliant with the bid specifications than a higher bidder, for example, Gillig was the lowest bidder when ABQ RIDE was looking for their RTS (100/200-series) replacement, but New Flyer's bid was more compliant with ABQ RIDE's bid specifications, and thus ABQ RIDE chose the New Flyer DE40LFR to replace the 100/200-series.

Out of my choices in the poll, ElDorado is on average the cheapest, however, that is because their buses are considered medium-duty buses (just like the 400s) rather than heavy-duty like the rest of my choices and all of ABQ RIDE's New Flyer fleet. Out of the heavy duty options, it seems that Gillig usually tends to bid lower than other manufacturers for most small- to mid-size transit authorities, however, they tend provide less leeway than New Flyer, Orion, or NABI when it comes to specification. Once ABQ RIDE tenders out the contract for bid, it will be very interesting to see what will happen.

Now, comparing based on propulsion type is a bit different. Obviously, straight diesel buses are the cheapest to purchase, however, they are less fuel-efficient than diesel-electric hybrids, resulting in higher long-term operating costs. Of course, it is possible for the batteries of a diesel-electric hybrid to fail, which adds on to some of its operating costs. As for CNG, they cost more to purchase than straight diesel buses but less than diesel-electric hybrids, however, they are probably the least economical as they tend to have very poor fuel economy even compared to straight diesel buses, and are mostly for TAs that want to operate an eco-friendly fleet. However, with the new EPA 2010 standards, Cummins' latest diesel engines are almost on par with their CNG engine in terms of emissions. Combine that engine with a hybrid drivetrain and you got a green machine.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:27 PM

Do you know what our bid specs are? Do we specify an efficiency target? Minimum mpg/energy use?

Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Do you know what our bid specs are? Do we specify an efficiency target? Minimum mpg/energy use?
I don't know exact bid specifications, however, perhaps what you mentioned might be considered in the process, along with some other specifications.

So far, ABQ RIDE's specifications have seemed to favor New Flyer at least for 40-foot and 60-foot buses, however, this may not be the case for smaller buses. For example, if ABQ RIDE orders 30-foot buses, the issue with New Flyer's 30-foot bus is that it only has one door, thus slowing down boarding and unboarding, while all the other 30-foot options are available with rear doors. This is one of the reasons why I think ABQ RIDE should go with 35-foot buses rather than 30-foot buses to replace the remaining 400-series, as all of the major manufacturers offer a rear door on their 35-foot buses. Also, if ABQ RIDE specifically wants heavy-duty buses rather than medium-duty, then the ElDorado EZ Rider II MAX won't qualify.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:47 PM

That's some good thinking. I would support the purchase of a bus with both front and rear doors.

Can you edit your poll to distinguish between which buses have multiple doors and those that don't.

Style matters a lot to me too. Lower bottom, sleek, euro style buses are my favorite.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
That's some good thinking. I would support the purchase of a bus with both front and rear doors.

Can you edit your poll to distinguish between which buses have multiple doors and those that don't.

Style matters a lot to me too. Lower bottom, sleek, euro style buses are my favorite.
Unfortunately, I cannot edit my poll. However, as for which buses lack rear doors, only the 30-foot New Flyer buses lack them. Technically the ElDorado EZ Rider II MAX (all variants) can be ordered without a rear door, or can even be ordered without a front door where the rear door serves both as an entrance and exit. These different door configurations make the ElDorado EZ Rider II MAX a popular choice for airport shuttle operators.

ElDorado also now even offers a (supposedly) heavy-duty bus known as the Axess. It is available in 35-foot and and 40-foot variants. However, since there are no large-scale operators of the model, I don't think ABQ RIDE would be willing to take the risk of an unproven model. Valley Metro in Phoenix was going to buy some 40-foot Axess buses, however, plans have been put on hold due to the economy. That contract may be rebid soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or