Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times

Advertisements

My family switched to Comcast's digital phone. No complaints so far. But they did keep their old number. No telling what kind of history a new Comcast number has.

Comcast far better for bandwidth than Qwest. I think both are dependent on your home's wiring for reliability and quality. Comcast's a bit better for troubleshooting, but Qwest tends to not be bad either.

Am tempted to move my number from Qwest to Comcast, but will wait to see how well it works for my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 11:41 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,624 times
I use Comcast both at home and at work, we originally used Qwest but found Comcast to be more bang for my buck, especially at work. There we use Broadvoice as VOIP and have had absolutely no problems with them whatsoever and I'm really getting used to having my voicemails emailed to me and being able to listen to them wherever I am.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:54 PM

10 posts, read 13,341 times
Hi all!
I'm moving back to ABQ{as some of ya already know} I'm trying to remember if ABQ is Dish network friendly. Yes, l ike an idiot I signed up nearly a year ago when we moved here {buttcrack,AR} as my son lovingly calls it
Now if only I could remember how long Dish contracts are..If any help is possible?

Old 09-05-2008, 11:53 PM

20 posts, read 83,846 times
I went for Qwest, and it seems fine, although I haven't given it a serious bandwidth workout yet.

As for TV, I have a new set-top antenna that pulls in the digital channels beautifully. So now I can see all nine channels that are English-language and non-religious. I don't want to sound complaining, because I know if I had satellite or cable, I'd be watching "Mythbusters" and stuff all day. As it is, I'm giving the most use to the weather on Channel 4.2.

Speaking of 4.2, they list weather in cities all over NM, with parts of AZ and CO. Do the ABQ stations broadcast strong enough to reach that far (which would explain my set-top antenna results, vs. the lousy picture I had in L.A.), or are there re-transmitters around the state?

Old 09-30-2008, 12:48 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
OK, I have to be fair and give Qwest some brownie points. My danged DSL was performing so badly that they sent me a new modem....didn't help. Sat on the phone for over an hour while the techs checked the line, etc. They decided to send a tech out the next day - nice guy, knew his stuff. Seems Qwest now has fiber optic in my area. Tech guy switched me over at the box and reprogrammed everything - and it's a HUGE improvement. So, if you have Qwest and it's slow, call and inquire about fiber optic in your area. Apparently they aren't switching services over automatically.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:34 AM

Default Internet Service Providers (ISP)

Comcast advertise that I should have download speeds of up to 12Mbps (12000Kb/s) but after checking I only have 380-558Kb/s download speed.

Does anyone else suffer with Comcast? Anyone use Qwest? Are they faster?

I used speedtest.net to measure my dl speed.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Comcast advertise that I should have download speeds of up to 12Mbps (12000Kb/s) but after checking I only have 380-558Kb/s download speed.

Does anyone else suffer with Comcast? Anyone use Qwest? Are they faster?

I used speedtest.net to measure my dl speed.
Just got 5563 down, 683 up. using Speedtest.

When using raw download software rather than downloading from websites,
I occasionally get as high as 10 meg on Comcast home.

Whatever your problem is, it's local or possibly limited to just your machine or
installation.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 AM

I've tried three different machines, Mac Book, high end Dell Tower and newer Dell laptop, all the same results. My upload is 2100 though.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,808 times
I got 5370 down and 725 up using Qwest DSL on speedtest. I was with Comcast and changed because I noticed the service was variable. Cable broadband users share their service with others in their neighborhood, so while you might easily get 10M during the day, in the evening it might slow. It's the only difference I've noticed between the two services. It all depends on your neighborhood, so you could have an entirely different experience across town. Also, I think the infrastructure is still very spotty in places around NM, resulting in some really poor experiences in some places. At one point I had dialup in a little town near Belen. Let's just say I never clicked on the "broadband version" of any downloads. There are some posters that have horror stories about Qwest, so I think it may be six of one, half dozen of the other. There used to be a site that measured actual line noise, interference or general signal quality. I think it was US Robotics. Anyway, I'd leave it in Comcast's hands. File a complaint and see if you can get some guys with some equipment to test your local signal quality. Oh, I had a bad connector outside of the house when I was still on Comcast. They found it, I replaced it for 10 bucks and saw a noticeable improvement in signal quality. Check all of the connections you can get to for tightness, corrosion, etc.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:07 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
Cable broadband users share their service with others in their neighborhood, so while you might easily get 10M during the day, in the evening it might slow.
I've heard the same thing. The total bandwidth is limited, so more users mean slower service. I don't think DSL has those same limitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque