Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 11:14 AM

801 posts, read 2,211,839 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking something just isn't right. I have my router in the garage and not really that close to the computer. I'm not sure if that is relevant but I think I'll just move a computer to the garage and test it there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
I have my router in the garage

Why? First try eliminating the router. Plug the laptop/PC directly into the cable modem and retest. If still slow, problem is not the router. Then you have to decide if it's the cable modem or the laptop/PC. Comcast should be able to do some pings on their modem to see. Do you have more than one computer in the house?

Old 12-30-2010, 02:21 PM

Actually, Karma...that was what I was going to do is plug directly into the cable modem. I seriously doubt I have a router problem. I recently replaced the one I've used for about 5 years with a new one with greater range...and the range is certainly better but the upload/download speeds remain slow. We have 4 computers in the house. Now...the upload/download on the newest one is still slow, but I recently got a Macbook Pro and...wow...at least internet pages load really fast on that one running Safari!

Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,497 times
You should start by restarting everything including the modem and see if that helps.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 PM

Well...I did finally get around to trying this. I restarted everything, reset the modem and still got:

Download = 4.26 Mb/s
Upload = 3.22 Mb/s
Ping = 324 ms

So...I bypassed the router and tested a computer connected directly to the cable modem:

Download = 22.67 Mb/s
Upload = 3.28 Mb/s
Ping = 65 ms

But when I went back to using the router, my results went back to the lower download, high ping values. I also upgraded the firmware on my Cisco Valet plus. Is just sounds like my router is slowing everything down...except upload speeds. Any other ideas?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,221 times
A thread about slow internet with Cisco Valet Plus router:

Valet Plus Slow Internet Speed - Cisco Home Community

I have a feeling that you could probably find a similar thread with almost every other router out there.

You said you had 4 computers...have you run tests on all of them?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM

This was with a wireless connection from my MacBook Pro to my Apple Airport Extreme Base Station.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the link, Karma. I see lots of posts with the same issue. I did test all 4 computers in the house. Bernco...wish I would have gotten the Apple base station. I just ran a test on my Macbook Pro and got a download of 4.25 mb/s, upload of 3.00 mb/s and ping of 425 ms.

I'm glad we don't download very much in the way of huge files, and, at least, the Safari browser is quite fast on this Macbook. I'll keep checking with Cisco to see if they come up with a fix...but I hate having to get another router when I've only had the Valet Plus combined with a Clickfree backup for six months. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 PM

Sell it on eBay, the selling price there pretty much covers the cost of an Apple Base Station.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Sell it on eBay, the selling price there pretty much covers the cost of an Apple Base Station.
Until you either a) disclose that it works very slowly for some reason or b) leave it to the buyer to find out, potentially demanding a return and/or leaving negative feedback.

I'd look to sources of interference, particularly if you're connecting wirelessly. Wireless camera systems and some older cordless phones interfere with the band and have caused me countless headaches in the past. Otherwise, you're probably just looking at a defective unit. Perhaps you can buy the same model from the same place you bought the original, switch the items, and return them. Easier than dealing with the manufacturer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque