Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 02:16 PM

12 posts, read 43,236 times

Advertisements

I'm going to bump this up in hopes of getting updated info. I'm thinking of switching to Century Link from Comcast (killing cable and going the Netflix route) but I'm terrified that Century Link won't be able to give me enough bandwidth. I'm in Ventana Ranch and Comcast is telling me that they can give me a minimum of 20mbps for $65. Anyone in that area that can do a speed test and tell me what they get? Either for ADSL or Comcast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM

176 posts, read 324,804 times
I don't know about the Comcast cable service, but their internet has worked out great for us. No issues at all.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 PM

8 posts, read 8,068 times
I know this doesn't really matter, but I'll ask anyway. I do a lot of webinairs and video chat type stuff and I have FIOS Quantum which gives the following results to a near-by server:

Is there anything like this around Albuquerque?

Old 03-12-2014, 10:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Update Test

Old 06-06-2014, 09:07 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Default Super Fast Internet

Jun 5, 2014, 11:47am MDT UPDATED: Jun 5, 2014, 2:48pm MDT
Country Club neighborhood may soon be first in nation with 10 gigabyte service

John Brown doesn’t want CityLink Telecommunications to be the accidental success of the local ISP world.
“We don’t want to be the Downtown freak accident that stumbled on fiber here,†Brown, CEO and founder of CityLink told Business First.

Yes, he said, the company did find a trove of high-speed dark fiber connections that it could tap into in Downtown a decade ago. But, he said, the company has been working to leverage its high-speed capabilities ever since.

CityLink this week wrapped up a $100,000 build-out in San Jose, California, that will create a direct, high-speed connection to Silicon Valley.

“It’s not cheap, but it’s what we need,†Brown said. “We have a direct connection to Albuquerque, with only one 'hop' in Los Angeles, creating one of the fastest connections to the tech center of the country.â€
The company acquired dark fiber from another provider, he said, and added its own routers and servers to a data center in Downtown San Jose. Now, he said, the company is working on a similar investment in New York City to create a high-speed, direct connection to The Big Apple.

“Our job is to provide a really big pipe, and we see the Internet as an application-delivery mechanism. Video, entertainment and surfing the web is an application riding that pipe. If you want 4K video or you’re doing cloud-based computing, you need a really big pipe. In major metropolitan areas, big pipes exist; in Albuquerque they don’t, and we’re building them,†Brown said.

The next big step, he said, is wiring homes in the Country Club neighborhood for the nation’s first residential 10 gigabyte service. Most residential connections are about 10 percent as fast.

But it won’t be cheap: Count on spending $500 a month for the service, he said.

“We have business owners that live in the Country Club that want the same speeds that they have in their offices,†Brown said.

Want Albuquerque news in your inbox? Click here to sign up for our email newsletters.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:14 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
Default Rio Rancho internet

Got a quick question on my list of things to find out about. RR is on my short list of moves when/if I retire in about 3 years. Does most or all of RR have high speed internet over land line? The reason I ask is that years back I had the option of entering my phone number to see if it was available in the Chicago suburb I am in. By available I mean high speed DSL. I may be wrong but I think it had something to do with distance. From what device I do not recall.

I am NOT interested in some Comcast bundle. I am keeping Directv. I have had them since they came out and nothing but the best things to say. The only times I ever lost signal in maybe 18 yrs was during torrential downpours or heavy snowstorms. HD seems to suffer more from this I have noticed.

I plan on having a land line phone anyway so this is another reason I ask.
Thanks!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 AM

I guess most of Rio Rancho has high speed internet over land line. That or Cable One, High Speed Internet for only $35 - Cable TV, Internet Service, & Home Phone Service

We have been using Cable One for internet in Rio Rancho for a while which has been very reliable. We use it for internet only.

DSL and ADSL did not work well for us. Yes the distance from DCO (Dial Central Office) affects DSL and ADSL. So they have to know where you are to tell you if it is available.

We struggled with U.S. West, which became Quest, which became Centurylink. We still have a landline for telephone (Centurylink).

Gave up DirectTV on March 10, 2011 after about 15 years, brought our dish out with us from the East Coast.

We use Over The Air (OTA) free local TV and "Roku" streaming player for video...

You might also read this thread: Internet and Cable TV Services in ABQ

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-31-2014 at 10:13 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 07:01 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
Thanks Poncho

Old 08-03-2014, 08:06 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
If speed is critical, Comcast also has internet alone, without cable TV or phone.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
If speed is critical, Comcast also has internet alone, without cable TV or phone.
Out of Footprint
Quote:
We're sorry. Comcast service is not available at this address.

• xxxxxxxxxx, 87144 Re-enter Address
Just checking. I have never seen an area in Rio Rancho which has Comcast Internet... Never in my area. But I don't check them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque