Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 09:39 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,979 times

Advertisements

Not wanting to bounce back and forth between threads but that one you referred to above Poncho........your last post makes it kinda look like Cable one is very slow. I guess slow is relative. I don't really care about download speed but could not deal with pages taking forever to load.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 01:40 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
Not wanting to bounce back and forth between threads but that one you referred to above Poncho........your last post makes it kinda look like Cable one is very slow. I guess slow is relative. I don't really care about download speed but could not deal with pages taking forever to load.
This thread will be merged with the one you mentioned.

You mean:

We have been with CableOne for five years (estimated). We have had about five outages. Three outages were probably less than 20 minutes. Two of them my wife called, they said they were working on it, service was returned maybe within 30 minutes. No stories. No "I dunno". It works. Unlike my previous experiences.

I'm on Wi-Fi from my wife's computer connected to a cable modem through a router.

I have no speed problems. We also stream videos through wi-fi to two Roku streamers and get video from netflix and amazon prime. My wife gets wi-fi through her Kindle no problem. Kids, grandkids etc... No issues with us.

A test I just did:

Test your system, simple, fast, speedtest.net compare it to what I got.

My choice? Move. Which is not going to happen...

Rich

Old 08-03-2014, 08:18 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,317 times
I have CenturyLink (formerly Qwest). They've experienced a few outages over the nearly 5 years we've used them but have generally been good. Most of my work is online and that has only been impacted a handful of times, with most outages corrected within 3-4 hours.

I'm paying for 20 Mbps service (need it for my work) and just got the following speed test results. Upload speed isn't great but I don't upload really large files very often. Besides, I can launch those when I'm stopping work for a while and not worry about how long they take to send.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:06 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,077 times
Has anyone here used fiber optic internet from CityLink?

I keep seeing that they have fiber optic at high speeds available in some areas but haven't come across any houses they actually connect to.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:10 PM

6 posts, read 9,166 times
I have decided to move to your fine city. Even after reading all the threads about crime and some talk about how hard the job market is but honestly this makes me pause. 24.18 is the best download speeds available? I checked the CenturyLink site and it says they have 40 available do you just not have it or is it not really available?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronthemove View Post
I have decided to move to your fine city. Even after reading all the threads about crime and some talk about how hard the job market is but honestly this makes me pause. 24.18 is the best download speeds available? I checked the CenturyLink site and it says they have 40 available do you just not have it or is it not really available?
Centurylink has 40 is available in some areas. Comcast may also have higher speeds available depending on the address (they claim to have 50 at my address). If it's important to have faster speeds check with them prior to signing a lease or purchase agreement.

Last edited by funkymonkey; 08-11-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 12:51 AM

I just upgraded my Comcast to 50 MBPS, so it is available at least in my area.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:05 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,317 times
20 is the best available from CL in my area although as funky said you can get 40 in some areas.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:42 PM

6 posts, read 9,166 times
Thank you guys so much. in general which areas of the city would most likely have this service available?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Wireless, from router...

Update Test

Update Test
Test conducted Aug 21, 2014 after Cable One ran a new line from front yard to house... We had been paying for 10.Mbps service, previous tests above.

Still Wireless, from router... Router is on my wife's computer.

Looks like my speed doubled. Looks like my wife's tripled.

From my wife's computer:

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-21-2014 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque