Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times

Advertisements

Gusts may hit 70 in some areas but sustained winds up to 45, the latest I've read. Still, I've battened down my hatches and tethered my elephants. I just hope the mountains get a lot of snow when all is said and done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:07 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,055 times
Gah! Its windy out right now. I hope it doesn't get much worse than this. And yeah, we better get some damn precipitation out of this.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:04 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times
As I drove into my driveway, I was pleasantly surprised to see all of those unraked leaves cleared away. That is until I rounded the corner to my front door and saw a long, two-foot deep pile of leaves looking a lot like a snow drift up against my house. Not sure about the physics of that since the wind is coming out of the east and the leaves are piled up on the West side of the garage/house.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:14 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Not sure about the physics of that since the wind is coming out of the east and the leaves are piled up on the West side of the garage/house.
Makes perfect sense.

All wind is is a difference in air pressure. High pressure in one place creates a force toward low pressure in another place.

Since your house blocks wind flow pretty good, the shadowed area of the house (west side) is a localized zone of low pressure. As the leaves blow past your house, the low pressure area kinda sucks 'em in.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:37 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Makes perfect sense.

All wind is is a difference in air pressure. High pressure in one place creates a force toward low pressure in another place.

Since your house blocks wind flow pretty good, the shadowed area of the house (west side) is a localized zone of low pressure. As the leaves blow past your house, the low pressure area kinda sucks 'em in.

That's a good explanation, but darn it! I was hoping they would all blow down the street.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:39 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Just wait and see what happens during Tumbleweed season...

One year a lady could not get out of here house and had to call the fire department...

Rich

Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Just wait and see what happens during Tumbleweed season...Rich
Drove from Bernalillo to Rio Rancho today via 313 and had to dodge about a dozen tumbleweeds. During tumbleweed season, as you put it, I've had to reduce my speed on Hwy 528 by half in order to avoid those things.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:09 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
We have a tumbleweed season? When is it?

Power flicked for about an hour, but didn't go out here (yet). I saw a powerline sparking on the way home, at Eubank & Menaul, I'm wondering if it ever blew down or went out. Though it was landing lights on an airplane, and thought "dang, that plane is coming in LOW!". Got up to the intersection and realized it was the power line. Oops.

I want snow but not any significant amount until after 2:00 pm.

Woke up to the wind this morning and for a second I thought I was back on the Gulf Coast, until I noticed no rain. Ah...nostalgia....

Old 12-02-2011, 07:33 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Reading about all of the wind-related problems in the Albuq area, as well as across a wide swath of western states, I'm totally at a loss to explain how the southern desert areas escaped this blow. Normally my area gets winds as bad, or worse, than the northern half of the state.

But HEY...I'm not complaining!!! Just befuddled.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
But HEY...I'm not complaining!!! Just befuddled.
You can have our wind next time, ok? :-D

Even though I'm sure it set back the city and utility providers something fierce, I'm glad my lawn has now been picked clean of the last leaves of fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque