Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 PM

850 posts, read 3,716,179 times

Advertisements

I can't believe I have been here for two years. Many won't agree with some of the things I say, but that's ok. This is just my opinion after moving in from the outside and living here for two years. First off, I admit that I'm ready to leave, partly because of some family issues but also because I'm tired of the area. I don't regret my time here and moving was an experience I'll never forget.

Albuquerque is isolated. As such people have a very unique take on life and they live in their own little world, leading to some interesting conversations. Many I have talked to seem to think that worldwide issues and problems outside of Albuquerque don't apply here and, therefore, are of no consequence to us. Some seem naive to the issues and facts that we're facing even in Albuquerque, and they're irritated if you say otherwise. They think driving across town is too far let alone taking small vacations outside of town. It's like they live in a brick box and they can't go outside those walls.

The climate is fabulous. The most beautiful sunsets I have seen have been here. The summer monsoons are stunning--and refreshing. Xeriscaping is so much better than lawns and more creative looking. I wore a T-shirt today--in January! New Mexico has the bluest sky I have ever seen.

Drivers are incompetent and rude. You'll experience people stopping on onramps because they don't know how to yield. Folks don't use caution when changing lanes--it's almost like they have the motto that if someone doesn't honk at them it's ok to change lanes. They don't understand the concept of a four-way stop or a roundabout--and then they honk and flip you off when they are 100% in the wrong. They're not courteous about letting you pull out of a parking lot when they're stopped at a light; they just look the other way and pretend they don't see you.

The homeless problem is real. I got an apartment downtown and am asked 5-10 times a day for cigarettes, money, or I'm given some ridiculous story about why I should give them money. I don't know if it's a lack of shelters or what, but they are everywhere and are very aggressive.

The numerous obese women--and some men--wear extremely tight clothes to the point that their fat rolls hang over the hemlines and it dangles down.

With the exception of a few like the Bosque, the city parks are pitiful. The aquarium is laughable.

The cost of living is very reasonable. Renting is downright cheap.

Outdoor activities are plentiful. Water activities are not. One thing I really like about the recreational areas here is that you can really use the parks. In other places I have lived, it's almost like you're walking a tightrope because they restrict you from going to so many areas. On Sandia Crest, the Bosque, and many other places you can go just about anywhere you want to and take advantage of the outdoors. Because of that you don't have so many bottlenecks at viewpoints and such because everyone can pick their own private place to enjoy the scenery.

The food is great and restaurants are abundant. However, no, I don't want green chili on my hamburger. Fish quality is bad; I'd rather eat a local opossum.

So, these are just some of my thoughts and you may not agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 11:37 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I can't believe I have been here for two years. Many won't agree with some of the things I say, but that's ok. This is just my opinion after moving in from the outside and living here for two years. First off, I admit that I'm ready to leave, partly because of some family issues but also because I'm tired of the area. I don't regret my time here and moving was an experience I'll never forget.

Albuquerque is isolated. As such people have a very unique take on life and they live in their own little world, leading to some interesting conversations. Many I have talked to seem to think that worldwide issues and problems outside of Albuquerque don't apply here and, therefore, are of no consequence to us. Some seem naive to the issues and facts that we're facing even in Albuquerque, and they're irritated if you say otherwise. They think driving across town is too far let alone taking small vacations outside of town. It's like they live in a brick box and they can't go outside those walls.

The climate is fabulous. The most beautiful sunsets I have seen have been here. The summer monsoons are stunning--and refreshing. Xeriscaping is so much better than lawns and more creative looking. I wore a T-shirt today--in January! New Mexico has the bluest sky I have ever seen.

Drivers are incompetent and rude. You'll experience people stopping on onramps because they don't know how to yield. Folks don't use caution when changing lanes--it's almost like they have the motto that if someone doesn't honk at them it's ok to change lanes. They don't understand the concept of a four-way stop or a roundabout--and then they honk and flip you off when they are 100% in the wrong. They're not courteous about letting you pull out of a parking lot when they're stopped at a light; they just look the other way and pretend they don't see you.

The homeless problem is real. I got an apartment downtown and am asked 5-10 times a day for cigarettes, money, or I'm given some ridiculous story about why I should give them money. I don't know if it's a lack of shelters or what, but they are everywhere and are very aggressive.

The numerous obese women--and some men--wear extremely tight clothes to the point that their fat rolls hang over the hemlines and it dangles down.

With the exception of a few like the Bosque, the city parks are pitiful. The aquarium is laughable.

Outdoor activities are plentiful. Water activities are not. One thing I really like about the recreational areas here is that you can really use the parks. In other places I have lived, it's almost like you're walking a tightrope because they restrict you from going to so many areas. On Sandia Crest, the Bosque, and many other places you can go just about anywhere you want to and take advantage of the outdoors. Because of that you don't have so many bottlenecks at viewpoints and such because everyone can pick their own private place to enjoy the scenery.

The food is great and restaurants are abundant. However, no, I don't want green chili on my hamburger. Fish quality is bad; I'd rather eat a local opossum.

Fair enough, where did you come from and where are you going?

Old 01-17-2014, 11:52 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,800 times
I wouldn't put green chili on my hamburger either. Green chile on the other hand, yum!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:06 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
I visited NM back in Dec 2012 and stayed for 9 days with my older cousin. He moved to NM from CT about 20 years ago and LOVES it. He lives in ABQ and has a family of two kids. I will admit, it is a nice place overall. Stunning scenery, blue skies, sunlight, and pleasant air. It's a nice place, and it has cultural warmth not found in Phoenix or Las Vegas. The Mexican influence is a good thing and the food is fabulous. We also went up to Santa Fe, which was very nice, too.

However, I don't think I could get myself to live there. First, it's a bit too small and isolated for me. The entire ABQ metro area is only about 800,000 people. And it's only like 12 miles in diameter. Also as stunning as the scenery is, I still found it to be a bit too brownish for my tastes. I prefer the extreme greenery of the east coast, personally.

So, overall, I think it's a great place in general, but I wouldn't want to live there, because it's to small and isolated.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:48 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
However, I don't think I could get myself to live there. First, it's a bit too small and isolated for me. The entire ABQ metro area is only about 800,000 people. And it's only like 12 miles in diameter.
The metro is actually now estimated (by the U.S. Census Bureau) to be just over 900,000 in population.

Albuquerque's official Metropolitan Statistical Area spans four counties and covers over 6,000 square miles.

Granted, much of this is rural areas and isolated towns, but the vast majority of the population in the MSA is to be found in the more heavily populated urban and suburban areas which make up the heart of the metro. This concentrated area is what really defines Albuquerque's metro area and is what most think of as a true metro area where there is an urban area surrounded by less urban areas that interact and rely on each other on a daily basis for everything from entertainment to shopping to work.

And as far as its "diameter" is concerned, the City of Albuquerque itself stretches (in its currently populated areas, not actual city limits) east-west for about 15 miles and north-south for about 12 miles. There are also unincorporated areas immediately adjacent to the City such as the South Valley, Paradise Hills and North Albuquerque Acres which operate like extensions of the city itself and further extend the city's reach.

But beyond this lies the populated suburbs stretching north-south along the Rio Grande from Belen to Bernalillo. And on the other side of the mountains are bedroom communities such as Cedar Crest and Edgewood. Just a bit further from the East Mountains area you have towns that aren't exactly suburbs but which do interact an awful lot with Albuquerque, such as Moriarty and Estancia.

And don't forget about the Indian Pueblos all throughout this more urban area. They may not be suburbs, but they do interact and rely on the city for things such as shopping, and the city in turn relies on them for entertainment (gaming, concerts) and leisure activities (resorts, spas, golfing and fishing, etc.)

Here is a satellite view on Google which is focused on the more heavily populated heart of Albuquerque's metro area:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Albuq...ew+Mexico&z=10

As you can see, it's hardly 15 miles in "diameter". In fact, it's more like a t-shape than a round glob with which to even have a distinguishable diameter. It's not like Atlanta, Indianapolis or other hub-and-spoke cities in that regard.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:33 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
The metro is actually now estimated (by the U.S. Census Bureau) to be just over 900,000 in population.

Albuquerque's official Metropolitan Statistical Area spans four counties and covers over 6,000 square miles.

Granted, much of this is rural areas and isolated towns, but the vast majority of the population in the MSA is to be found in the more heavily populated urban and suburban areas which make up the heart of the metro. This concentrated area is what really defines Albuquerque's metro area and is what most think of as a true metro area where there is an urban area surrounded by less urban areas that interact and rely on each other on a daily basis for everything from entertainment to shopping to work.

And as far as its "diameter" is concerned, the City of Albuquerque itself stretches (in its currently populated areas, not actual city limits) east-west for about 15 miles and north-south for about 12 miles. There are also unincorporated areas immediately adjacent to the City such as the South Valley, Paradise Hills and North Albuquerque Acres which operate like extensions of the city itself and further extend the city's reach.

But beyond this lies the populated suburbs stretching north-south along the Rio Grande from Belen to Bernalillo. And on the other side of the mountains are bedroom communities such as Cedar Crest and Edgewood. Just a bit further from the East Mountains area you have towns that aren't exactly suburbs but which do interact an awful lot with Albuquerque, such as Moriarty and Estancia.

And don't forget about the Indian Pueblos all throughout this more urban area. They may not be suburbs, but they do interact and rely on the city for things such as shopping, and the city in turn relies on them for entertainment (gaming, concerts) and leisure activities (resorts, spas, golfing and fishing, etc.)

Here is a satellite view on Google which is focused on the more heavily populated heart of Albuquerque's metro area:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Albuq...ew+Mexico&z=10

As you can see, it's hardly 15 miles in "diameter". In fact, it's more like a t-shape than a round glob with which to even have a distinguishable diameter. It's not like Atlanta, Indianapolis or other hub-and-spoke cities in that regard.
Blah blah blah. The main area that matters is only like 15 miles in diameter.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:06 AM

5,018 posts, read 7,407,431 times
A few suggestions for the OP that might make life a little easier:

1. If water activities are important to you, do not move to a desert far from major bodies of water.

2. If having the freshest seafood is important to you, do not move 1000 miles from the sea.

3. If homeless people offend you, do not move to the part of town that has the highest concentration of shelters, soup kitchens, and other services for the homeless.

4. If you do not like green chile on your burger, um, do not order green chile on your burger.

It sounds like a lot of things you're complaining about have more to do with bad planning on your part, or lack of basic geographical knowledge (if I moved to the PNW I would not complain about the lack of desert activities or roadrunners, for example).

An observation of mine: some of the worst fish I've ever had was in San Francisco. Being close to the ocean doesn't guarantee that what you're eating is fresh.

And people who stick to their neighborhood and think it's too far to go somewhere else in town: this describes New York, Boston, and every other city I can think of.

When you find your "perfect place" with "perfect people", let us know!

Old 01-18-2014, 10:45 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post

I can relate to the bold areas because they sound like San Antonio. Maybe SA is a humid, larger, warmer, flat version of Albuquerque? I still love it here, though. I've always wanted to visit ABQ.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:48 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,317 times
I don't disagree with either the OP or nep321 that the ABQ area is smaller and more isolated than other choices across the country. We lived in Sacramento and Louisville KY before moving here. Both are larger communities with more "big city" amenities. But I also think there may be a large segment of folks that don't want to live in larger urban areas. Having grown up in a small town of under 50k population at that time, I find this area to be an excellent balance for me. It's large enough to have significant urban amenities (museums and art galleries, parks, college and pro sports teams [below the top tier but still pro sports]), lots of fiestas and other cultural events, numerous local restaurants, historical sites, etc.). But it also has a small town feel to me in many ways. And having spent lots of years driving in urban traffic, the amount of traffic congestion here seems pretty light to me. As far as the isolation issue, we spent our first 40 years in Fairbanks AK and this place is a lot less isolated than there for us.

ABQ fits my wife's and my view of what we want in a community very well with its combination of small town feel and larger city amenities. And I think that may be true for other folks as well. However, it's also true that it isn't a great fit for some people, which is fine. IMO it really depends on what your life experiences are, what you're used to in terms of prior community choices and what aspects of a community are most important to your well being.

The only significant issue I would take with sobefobik's comments are the statements that the parks here are pitiful but that you can also really use them. Seems like these comments directly refute one another. Don't know if the OP is conflicted about this or maybe I'm misreading something.

IMO the parks here don't look great due to being in the arid Southwest, the sparseness of the natural vegetation that grows in the area, ABQ's and Rio Rancho's drive to conserve water, and the ongoing drought. They aren't green like places back East or in more temperate climates, but that's just part of living in a place where average annual precipitation is less than 10 inches even when we're not having a drought. Not sure if this is the reason for the "pitiful" comment or not. But it's a fact that we have one of the highest percentage of park space of any urban area in the country. And most of it is very accessible. So I don't agree with the pitiful comment.

Because the Bosque is such a key park element, it also seems to me like excepting if from the pitiful comment would be like excepting Central Park in NYC - "except for Central Park, the NYC parks are pitiful." As the crown jewel of ABQ parks, I don't think it's appropriate to rate our parks without including the Bosque. Plus we have extremely close access to much greener areas (the Sandias, Jemez, etc.). When I get tired of the high desert "brown" landscape in the ABQ area, it only takes me a 30-60 minute drive to get to this green, which is the same or less time than it would take in a large urban area to get to many of their urban parks. While these areas can't be considered officially part of the ABQ/RR area park systems, I view them as a key local recreational amenity.

I'm an outdoors person, and for me the climate, scenic views and vistas, and the nearly 3,500 hours of sunshine we get each year on average are a huge plus. A big benefit climate-wise that the OP didn't mention is the low humidity, which enables folks to get out and enjoy the outdoors with much more comfort than in higher humidity areas.

I'm not taking issue with many of the OP's comments but I'll close by noting that I think many folks tend to overlook or take for granted the good things about where they live and focus more on the not so nice stuff. I on the other hand like to savor and enjoy the best parts of wherever we live.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:55 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Blah blah blah. The main area that matters is only like 15 miles in diameter.
Says who? You? Are you the official that decides which people and what they choose as their homes as who matters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque