Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:44 PM

182 posts, read 705,788 times

Advertisements

victor_rivera,

You're welcome.

Sounds like you have a good plan...

If you're going to be renting an apartment, include research at www.apartmentratings.com in your research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 09:48 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,730,142 times
Cloudcroft, you are right, Albuquerque does not have the amount of Condo's for sale/rent that Hawaii does, but there are some out there. If you like new then Centex are building some down off of Chico and Eubank, I remember showing them in the summer.

Just had a quick look for you and there are 197 Condo's listed for sale in the city of Albuquerque but that includes all four quadrants.

We don't seem to have many listed for rent on the MLS, and the two that are listed are quite expensive.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:14 PM

182 posts, read 705,788 times
berncohomes,

Yes, when I look at HI (Oahu, not the other islands) for a place to live (I am considering going there after here, then after HI, back to NM...or to NM directly from here if I decide not to live in HI), CONDOS are the name of the game, either renting short/long-term or buying one (homes are not an option, for several reasons). Apartments there seem scarce and the ones you DO see are kind of seedy -- you know, where Dog the Bounty Hunter often goes to nab bail jumpers -- even if they ARE $1000+/month.

When researching ABQ, I noticed it was just the opposite: Condos were scarce!

But really, at this point in life I'm unlikey to BUY, so I'd be lookng for an apartment, in one of those "preferred" areas of ABQ I mentioned (unless I saw something in Rio Rancho I liked)...probably one on Academy and/or near Tramway. Or maybe something on Eubanks.

Unfortunately, regardless of what state/city we're talking about, it seems most apartments have a low rating so even finding a nice apartment complex is difficult. I mean, even though many look good on the outside (buildings and grounds) they are not so in reality when you LIVE there (poorly run/managed, problem tenants, slob dog owners, parking issues, etc.).

Now if my sister ever wins the NM lottery, she's giving me a million bucks (and she's buying a home in High Desert). When I get my money (!) I'll be looking at Four Hills then...or possibly, at one of the only 2 CONTEMPORARY homes I've seen in High Desert area!

Unfortunately, I've been waiting for a while now and she hasn't sent me any check yet. I guess an apartment on Academy it is then...

P.S. You mention pricey: Last Christmas when I was visiting my sister (Rio Rancho), I was looking at those new patio (?) homes (very nice, high-end, including appliances) built in that gated community on Ghost Flower Trail NE (The Legends)...I thought they were about $350K...found out they were going for $650K and up! Boy, was I off!

But I like those Glenwood Pointe condos (Manitoba/Tramway), too...and they're more in my price range (were I to buy without having a million-dollar budget), while still in an area I'd want to live.

Last edited by cloudcroft; 11-27-2010 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-03-2010, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,650 times
What is your take on Historic Nob Hill ?? I'm thinking about buying a house in that area -- just not sure about it.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:17 PM

5 posts, read 15,192 times
Default Best Neighborhoods to Live in ABQ

I have lived in ABQ all my life, and although there are a number of good areas, I like the area I live in, Ventana Ranch on the far Northwest area of town, near Rio Rancho.

All the houses are kept nice by the HOA, the schools, although somewhat crowded, are newer and nicer.

I usually tell folks to stay North, northeast or northwest, as far north as you can go.

Don't get me wrong, there are great areas besides NE or NW, but that is my preference.

Make sure you put your kids in a good school district, bad school districts are rough and kids grow up quick here, take it from me!

New Mexico is a poor state, and Albuquerque Public Schools has many many issues.

My favorite High Schools are La Cueva, Eldorado, Volcano Vista.

Good luck out here-some Texas transplants love it, especially older family folks, the younger transplants not always as much since there isn't as much going on as in DFW.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:36 PM

508 posts, read 1,082,702 times
Auntlordy, if you like older neighborhoods, you really can't go wrong with Nob Hill - it's one of the nicest neighborhoods in ABQ (or anywhere for that matter).

Old 12-04-2010, 06:43 PM

508 posts, read 1,082,702 times
Also, as an opposing view to Hessian - I'm a (fairly) recent transplant, am in my upper twenties, and far prefer the Southeast, Southwest (especially areas around downtown), and areas like the north valley to the far north/northwestern areas of ABQ - which will have the same types of chain establishments you can find anywhere else. A number of folks in my demographic would likely agree - but the older folks used to a more suburban lifestyle would probably prefer NW or far NE ABQ. However, the far NE and NW areas do have great views and access to the mountains...

Old 12-05-2010, 07:49 PM

923 posts, read 2,411,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessian View Post
I have lived in ABQ all my life, and although there are a number of good areas, I like the area I live in, Ventana Ranch on the far Northwest area of town, near Rio Rancho.

All the houses are kept nice by the HOA, the schools, although somewhat crowded, are newer and nicer.

I usually tell folks to stay North, northeast or northwest, as far north as you can go.

Don't get me wrong, there are great areas besides NE or NW, but that is my preference.

Make sure you put your kids in a good school district, bad school districts are rough and kids grow up quick here, take it from me!

New Mexico is a poor state, and Albuquerque Public Schools has many many issues.

My favorite High Schools are La Cueva, Eldorado, Volcano Vista.

Good luck out here-some Texas transplants love it, especially older family folks, the younger transplants not always as much since there isn't as much going on as in DFW.
I teach in the Ventana Ranch area and my school is not overcrowded. In fact, we still have empty classrooms! I can't speak for the middle & high schools, but at the elementary level, we seem to be doing great. The economy really slowed the home building in the area -- which also experienced a lot of foreclosures, so the growth has not been the explosive kind that has been typical for the area.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 PM

102 posts, read 288,278 times
We moved here a little over a year ago from LA and I also work downtown close to where you will be. I live in Paradise Hills East and the commute is really easy. To get downtown, I take Coors to I-40 and get off at either Rio Grande Blvd or 12th street and then take surface streets. Takes about 20-30 minutes. I particularly like not having to deal with I-25. Sorry to rat you out folks, but ABQ drivers are BAD. The less you have to interact with, the better. We were originally looking to be in the NE above Paseo Del Norte because that's an area we knew (friends of ours live there) but there were no rental homes that we liked available there at the time. We ended up in the NW and we really like it.The area is a bit sterile in the sense that the houses are all in subdivisions (not something I've ever dealt with) and it's a newer area so it's lacking in mature trees (that's not the case for all of the subdivisions in the NW but it is for ours) but I feel very safe and have a fantastic view of the mountains and the NE side from our upper floor (particularly lovely at night with all the lights). The Bosque and it's many walking/biking trails are very close, Corrales (very charming) are just down the road, and then the mall and the standard shops are a few minutes away for errands. We rented our house through Land of Enchantment Realty (Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, and Bernalillo County, Real Estate - Land of Enchantment Inc.) which has been fine. I somewhat prefer to deal with a property management company as I had more than one crazy landlord/owner experience in LA (people who rent out their house at exorbitant rates but then feel that, since they own it, they can come by whenever they want and start rifling through the garage at 1am, etc.).

One thing to note is that, while ABQ doesn't get a lot of snow (at least that we've seen), the NE side of town gets more snow than the NW. The High Desert area at the base of the mountain gets the most and then it drops off as you go West. Last year, in the NW, we got nothing more than a dusting at any given time. The same seems to be true for rain in the Summer. We can watch a storm rolling in, see the entire NE cloud over and not get a drop where we are. But it is also much much windier on the NW which is somewhat annoying (I often find objects in my backyard that I know didn't originate at our house) but it's not a deal breaker for me. I definitely recommend renting a place for 6 months to a year if you have that luxury. Each area of ABQ has a different vibe to it and you really have to find out which one is right for you and your family.

I personally would not recommend living downtown. If you want the hip downtown vibe, I'd try for Nob Hill. Downtown has a few pockets that are very cute but overall, I wouldn't feel safe. But that's me.

Sorry that I can't help you with schools or churches. If you need some kennel recommendations on the other hand...

Best of luck in your decision!

Old 12-11-2010, 05:34 PM

548 posts, read 1,212,088 times
When we moved here we decided to live in the far NE area of town (north of Paseo del Norte, East of Louisiana) in the La Cueva school district because it is a nice, safe area of town with good public schools. You can find homes in this area for 250k+. My commute from my house to my law office downtown (using I-25) is only 20 minutes door to door. We should check out Faith Evangelical Free Church in Rio Rancho (a bit of a drive but certainly worth it), Desert Springs, New Covenant Church, and Hoffmantown -- great churches all!

Last edited by Albuquerque101; 12-11-2010 at 05:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque