U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-04-2008, 02:48 PM

75 posts, read 187,201 times

Advertisements

I am headed to ABQ in a few weeks to check out the area. After reading the forum here, I wish I had gone there while we were checking out SW CO, Taos and Santa Fe this week, but I'll have another chance here soon.

I am going to be looking at schools for my 7 year old and real estate while I am there. I will need a single family residence in a safe and secure area. I am hoping to be in the 200K range.

I have NEVER been to ABQ, but love the SW. We live in CO now and while I love it here, the thought of milder winters, a more diverse community, and all the fun things to do with kids has me wondering about ABQ.

I have lived in many areas of CO, OR, ID and WA, but am looking for something different. I have thought many times about moving to Mexico for its diversity, climate and good weather, but maybe all that can be found here in the states? Like in ABQ?

Can you point me to the neighborhoods I will want to check out and the public schools I will want to look at?

I would most appreciate it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 03:19 PM

918 posts, read 1,783,404 times
Althea, check out: Young Couple moving to Albuquerque for a Year (Rio Rancho, North Valley: houses, rental) http://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...rque-year.html, especially post #4 by EnjoyEP. He gives an excellent breakdown of areas that would suit you well and place you near schools that are considered good in Albuquerque. EnjoyEP knows what he's talking about and has the stats to back it up. Take a look at : Southwest Multiple Listing Service to start getting an idea of what's out there in your price range. Shoot for south of Paseo Del Norte, north of Menaul and west of Juan Tabo. It's a pretty general description, but it will give you older homes in nice neighborhoods that will be around that price range. Have fun.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:21 PM

75 posts, read 187,201 times
Zia -

Thanks for the info and links to prior posts.

Much appreciated!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 12,763 times
Default Albuquerque Neighborhoods

Hello, all! I've been doing a lot of research on Albuquerque (these boards are so helpful) and wanted to bounce some ideas off of some of you locals. My husband is looking at a job in Albuquerque; he is a physician and would be working at two offices, one at I-25 & Osuna/San Mateo and one in western Albuquerque in the 'burbs somewhere. We have two little kids, one who will be starting kindergarten in the not-distant future. In our ideal world, we would love to live in a racially diverse neighborhood of older homes that has fun stuff to walk to with good schools and a funky, eclectic vibe. (We don't ask much, right? ) We do not like recently built suburbs that much, and keeping the commute short is a high priority. We would prefer to send our kids to public schools, although private schools are not entirely out of the question if an otherwise-perfect neighborhood exists. We would prefer to find a house between $300k and $400k, although there is a bit of flexibility there. Our very favorite style of house is mid-century modern, if there is any of that floating around out there.

So at this point, I am thinking that the neighborhoods close to UNM might be a good match for us. It would have a short commute for the close-in office, and a wrong-way commute for the western office. It seems like the neighborhoods have a vibe that would be a good match for us, and the elementary schools Monte Vista, Bandelier, and Zia look pretty good to me, as far as I can tell online.

I don't find the western suburban areas very appealing, although it seems like there would be good schools and lots of young families; I just don't think it would be a good match for our preferences. The NE Heights sound very nice, but am I right in thinking that the commute to the western office would be pretty rough?

So how does this sound to you local people? Are there other areas that I should check out? Other elementary schools besides the three I mentioned that would be especially worth pursuing? We will be taking a trip out in the near future but it won't be a long one, so I would love to go in armed with information on what areas/neighborhoods to check out.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:30 PM

3,695 posts, read 6,482,968 times
I don't think all of your wants are going to be doable.

Mid-century moderns (the few we have) reside near UNM. You can get housing in the area around UNM for about $250k on up. I think you'd be able to find something you like in your price range pretty easily. However, it looks as though, unless you move to the West side, your Husband's commute will be 25-45min.

It's easier to get to the West side from the NE Heights than from the UNM area (in my experience).

When I can afford a home of my own, it will be in North UNM.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:30 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,421,128 times
That is a great neighborhood/area, but like rybert said, the traffic can be a bit congested. Beautiful neighborhood around Monte Vista elem.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 PM

1,820 posts, read 2,206,661 times
Great! Come on out, we need physicians!

If you haven't been to Albuquerque before (sounds like you're from the east coast somewhere?) you will see when you get here that almost the entire city is what you would call "the burbs." Except for tiny Old Town and downtown, the whole city was built with the automobile in mind. So you would be hard pressed to find a place that has "fun stuff to walk to" besides a small park. "Racial diversity"--what does that mean to you? The demographics here are likely quite different from where you are. We have ethnic diversity, but not much racial diversity. "Funky" and "eclectic" describe much of Albuquerque but again, those words might mean something different to you.

Another option besides the ones already mentioned might be the North Valley and Los Ranchos de Albuquerque. They have a more rural feel than you might think you want but are ethnically diverse, eclectic, and equidistant from the east and westside hospitals.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:37 PM

2,576 posts, read 5,231,228 times
"western Albuquerque in the 'burbs somewhere" is pretty vague and covers a HUGE area. Can you be more specific? Depending on where he'll be on the west side will significantly affect your commute if you opt for around UNM.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 PM

3 posts, read 12,763 times
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
"western Albuquerque in the 'burbs somewhere" is pretty vague and covers a HUGE area. Can you be more specific? Depending on where he'll be on the west side will significantly affect your commute if you opt for around UNM.
The second office isn't open yet, so things are still up in the air. (This job would be involved in opening up this new office.) All I know is they are looking at western Albuquerque in the areas that have seen population growth in recent years. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I do appreciate everybody's perspective on different neighborhoods.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 PM

750 posts, read 1,975,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I'm guessing SW Medical Associates, who has offices @ I-25 & San Mateo (Northside) and also on the west side (appx. Irving & Eagle Ranch).

Chap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque