Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:49 AM

55 posts, read 132,919 times

Advertisements

I'll be working at Kirtland. I'm thinking about RR area, but need some advice on the commuting. How's I-25 commute during rush hours?
Will the northern part (near 550) of RR better than central/southern part for communting since it's easier to access to I-25?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 11:59 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
It is all terrible.

You can get remarkably similar-to-Rio Rancho neighborhoods in half a dozen cities, suburbs, and villages, all within a closer (and less stressful) commute to Kirtland.

I-25 in and of itself isn't your problem coming from Rio Rancho. It's everything else. 528 gets backed up, Paseo Del Norte is often agonizingly congested, and the stretch of 550, well, let's just say it was hellish 5 years ago, and still they build bedroom community houses with no solution in sight.

I recommend checking out Bosque Farms, Los Chavez, SW Albuquerque, etc. areas south, and Tijeras (very popular with base commuters) and environs east. I'd even say Edgewood gives RR a run for its money for working on base.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,776 times
I work on Kirtland. I live one mile south of the RRancho border near Cottonwood Mall. If you are in southern RR, the commute isn't a problem. Stay away from central or western RR. Northern RR, or Bernalillo, are not within my commuting knowledge except from coworkers.
Schools are good here in NW ABW and especially RR, if that's an issue for you.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:46 PM

Yes, the school system is one of my biggest concerns. That’s why I am seriously considering RR. In general, RR seems to have much lower crime rate than ABQ and the housing is more reasonable than the far NE area. From the map, there are only 3 bridges that connect two big cities. It is obviously prone to traffic. Curiously why it has not been planned?
Cottonwoodheights, how long does it take you to get on the base (from home to work)? Do you take I-25? I will be working for the AFRL, which is supposed to be very north/west side of the base. Some people in this forum have been saying 45 minutes. Is that the case for you?
I’m thinking of buying a house near Unser/Black Arroyo, so kids can go to RR schools (Southwest Elem) while I will have more choices of commuting (Golf Course/Coors/I-25 even Unser & I-40).
East Mountain area (Sandia Park) is one of another area that I do consider seriously. However, it seems to be a bit “too rural” and many roads are not paved.
I was also thinking about Northern RR/Bernalillo, where it is very close to I-25. Enchanted Hills Elementary is rated pretty good and the crime rate is low. I think the east side of the river shouldn’t be as bad on traffic, am I right?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:49 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,077 times
I would say East Mountain schools are on a par with Rio Rancho schools and I would agree with Zoidberg about the driving time, especially from the properties closer to I-40.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 PM

I don’t doubt that the schools in East Mountain are equally good as in RR. The problem is that the area seems to be secluded from neighbors. My kids might not find play mates easily. Additionally, there seems to have many unpaved roads. Wild insect/reptile/animals might be a problem? I think I really need to go there in person and check it out.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:05 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyw View Post
I think I really need to go there in person and check it out.
Definitely.

RR (especially fringe development) has a fair amount of scorpion displacement. Hope you like scorpions if you build out that way. They're nothing big to worry about but to most people they're more upsetting than a cockroach when you find one in your house.

East Mountains have more usual animal playmates for your kids.. squirrels, coyotes, birds, rabbits..

Unpaved roads? You really should visit RR to decide on that. It's got as many as Edgewood (though perhaps not so many houses on them).

Friends in Edgewood? Lots of families out there. I fail to see why a 1/3 acre lot in RR will predispose your kids to making friends better than a 1 acre lot in Edgewood would.

East Mountain high outperforms Rio Rancho high in the latest surveys, by quite a margin.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,077 times
Won't your children make most of their friends at school?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:49 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
RR (especially fringe development) has a fair amount of scorpion displacement. Hope you like scorpions if you build out that way.
I have seen one scorpian in Rio Rancho in 11 years.

I have personally seen two rattlesnakes in the East Mountain area.

The fact's, there have been more sightings and capturing of bears, coyotes, bobcats and rattlesnakes in the East Mountains than in Rio Rancho. If you were one of those animals where would you want to live? Rio Rancho, the desert or lush green forest with food, shelter and water.

Lets not start myths.

None of the above would affect my decision.

East Mountain High School has to make up 6+ school days due to snow.

Rich

Old 03-08-2010, 07:54 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Won't your children make most of their friends at school?
Good point.

I have children and grandchildren which have lived in 5+ different states over the past 40 years. Their best friends, their longest friendships are and have been those that were made in schools, school activities or other social activites.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque