U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-10-2010, 09:58 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,671,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold10 View Post
So, another question I have is what kind of night life is there? Any jazz places? How's the diversity? Crime areas? etc.
The night life is somewhat limited, but it is there if you look for it. But you might want to be warned that a couple major Downtown dance clubs have shut down over the last couple years (and keep in mind there aren't really that many clubs in that club strip to begin with).

I'm not sure if there are jazz bar type of places (if you are mostly interested in jazz as something to have in the background while you drink and talk). For jazz in the foreground, one place to check is the Outpost (which doesn't program jazz exclusively, but presents a fair amount of it): Outpost Performance Space | Presenting jazz, folk & roots, experimental, international, youth programs, spoken word, visual arts and more There is also a series of jazz concerts every summer (though often with an emphasis on Latin jazz): Upcoming Events - The Albuquerque Museum - City of Albuquerque (http://www.cabq.gov/museum/events.html - broken link)

And hey, I've never even heard of this Kosmos venue listed here: Home

There are lots of places to go salsa dancing, which is a good thing in my book, but not matter to you. There are opportunities for other types of dancing as well, including classes, parties, club nights, etc. The night life here can appear worse than it actually is, in my opinion, if one expects to see a concentrated area with lots of things happening. What people sometimes miss is that there are venues scattered across the city. (For instance, one of the premier salsa nights is held at a restaurant, the Cooperage, some distance from the more obvious Downtown or Nob Hill/UNM areas.)

You should peruse the weekly paper the Alibi for night life coverage: Upcoming Events - The Albuquerque Museum - City of Albuquerque (http://www.cabq.gov/museum/events.html - broken link)

You could also check the monthlies, Local IQ (Local IQ - HOME) and albuquerqueArts (:: albuquerqueARTS :: Albuquerque's monthly magazine of the arts) for more arts-oriented coverage.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-11-2010, 03:47 PM

19 posts, read 20,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Have you visited during the summer? Too hot (and too many people) for my taste. May be different for you but one thing you should always try to do IMO is visit places during their worst time of year weather-wise. Rather than possibly finding out after you move that you really dislike the place for months on end each year.

Check out Home, also the Jazz and Blues (http://www.nmjazz.org/Jazz_and_Blues.aspx - broken link) page under the main site. The latter is a weekly series of concerts that the Albuquerque Museum hosts during the summer. Haven't been to any (we just moved here 2 months ago) but am going to check them out this summer. Also see the Jazz Deconstructed and Jam Sessions pages listed under the Events menu on the main site.

Not into clubbing so not sure how lively the jazz club scene is here. The El Rey Theater (The Historic El Rey Theater in Albuquerque, New Mexico) hosts national touring musicians, including a number of blues bands/players. The City of ABQ has a listing of venues (including clubs) on their website (Venues Alphabetic Listing - Music - City of Albuquerque (http://www.cabq.gov/music/venuesalpha.html - broken link)). Not sure how up-to-date it is but you can check out some of the links to the individual venues there.

We are planning a trip in August. Is that a good time to visit to experience the summer at it's peak? We haven't purchased tickets yet so if another time is better let me know. We're not into clubbing either but we do enjoy a nice night out every now and again but when we do go out we like to keep it low key and a night of dinner, wine and jazz has always been a good fit for us. laid back is our style.

Unread 03-11-2010, 04:07 PM

3,425 posts, read 5,652,669 times
August will give you a taste of our monsoon season. July will show you how hot it gets. September and October will make you fall in love with our climate.

Unread 03-11-2010, 04:12 PM

3,696 posts, read 5,835,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
August will give you a taste of our monsoon season. July will show you how hot it gets. September and October will make you fall in love with our climate.

x2 September will lull you into submission... in a good way.

Unread 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,671,184 times
Quote:
We are planning a trip in August. Is that a good time to visit to experience the summer at it's peak? We haven't purchased tickets yet so if another time is better let me know.
August weather can be a little unpredictable because of the monsoon season mentioned. I would say June or September are better times to visit than August or July, both for weather and selection of events.

Unread 03-11-2010, 10:04 PM

2,250 posts, read 4,613,590 times
I'd visit both places - Phoenix and Albuquerque - in July. Why not experience both of them at their worst? Although it's really not that bad here

Unread 03-12-2010, 02:33 PM

19 posts, read 20,718 times
I thank you all for your suggestions. Looks like I'll be making a trip July to experience the weather. I'm sure once I experience the heat at it's peak the rest of the year will be acceptable. I am curious about the monsoon season. Does this bring any flooding. This is a season I have never experienced so what should I expect during that time?

Unread 03-12-2010, 02:47 PM

15,739 posts, read 14,677,641 times
Quote:
Does this bring any flooding.
You have some flooding in some areas...

It gets discussed frequently: http://www.city-data.com/forum/12308348-post44.html

Rich

Unread 03-12-2010, 05:22 PM

707 posts, read 797,906 times
Harold, you might want to check out this site for the goings on: St Clair Vineyards .

I'll also second AptNomad's recommendation of the Outpost and NM Jazz workshop - great music events. If you're going to hit Santa Fe, this is a good venue - http://www.lensic.org/.

Unread 03-13-2010, 12:51 PM

102 posts, read 98,397 times
I'll be moving to ABQ in January for school. Are there any hip-hop/dance clubs??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque