Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:45 PM

281 posts, read 629,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy502 View Post
I, like many other people, didn't receive any money for fall09 semester and had to take out student loans. Because the money never came I had to withdraw and look for work. A month before this spring semester, the VA called me and assured that the money was not an issue and I would be able to attend for as long as it would take without any problems. I enrolled this semester, received a payment like they said and within 2 weeks, received a letter stating that I owed half of it back. I could not get an explanation as to why I owed this money, just a form letter they send to thousands of other veterans not stating the specific reason for the debt. Now taking out student loans isn't the worst thing, but I, foolishly probably, got out of the Army under the assumption of receiving this payment which included: tuition, books and most important to me, a housing allowance. The government will eventually pay me what I have earned, but I do not have the luxury of waiting for it. It is not the worst thing in the world though with me being able to transfer my benefit to my child to use when she goes to college. And so here I am, not wanting to raise my daughter in this joke of a city in East Alabama and trying to move us out west.
That's an embarrassing way to treat our veterans. I'm not one, but I think this sucks and the people who serve/served deserve better. Sorry to hear it.

First responder is right on Albuquerque Public Schools, they're hit and miss. It's a large district, budget problems like everyone else, but I've dealt with WAY worse *cough* Las Vegas *cough* in the past few years.

If you're a young family, look at the suburbs. I don't know beyond Rio Rancho (and any time ANYONE suggests that Rio Rancho might be anything other than a cesspit of cookie cutter mediocrity they get flamed into oblivion, so I'll be careful) but the RR schools are nationally recognized, crime is closer to the national average, and housing is reasonable. Lots of APD cars park overnight in my neighborhood, so that's gotta say something.

-Z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 01:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy502 View Post
The recruiter I have talked to at APD said they were hiring, but couldnt give me a date for the next academy. I am looking at the County Sheriff too. The pay and benefits look better with the city police. I am not picky though, I will work for whichever will hire me first..
You might also consider Rio Rancho. I know officers who have switched between Bern County, ABQ and RR.

Rich

Old 03-10-2010, 02:42 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
East Alabama? Dothan perhaps? Blech - I know I was more than happy to get back out here after living in South Central Georgia.

I agree with the suggestion to expand your search to Rio Rancho. Don't worry too much about schools until you either are purchasing a home or your child is closer to school age. I'd find a rental home for now and get a good feel for the city first.

Sorry to hear about the GI bill problems. I had not heard about that, just the abrupt stoppage of the MyCAA payments, often after spouses had enrolled and committed to vocational programs. I hope it gets straightened out soon. I knew there were delays when the new post 9/11 gi bill went into effect, but I had thought it was just a backup of paperwork. This sounds worse.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:09 PM

6 posts, read 14,373 times
Thanks for the info on where else to look. I am actually in Phenix City, Dothan would be much better than this.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Geez, and I thought Mobile was bad! You might also check with Santa Fe (city & county), at one point -maybe six months ago? - they were heavily recruiting experienced police officers.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:21 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Geez, and I thought Mobile was bad!
I loved Mobile the five years I lived there, which was long enough to become acclimated to the humidity. I would never move back there, but it is a lovely city IMO. It's especially good living for those who like water sports - fishing, boating etc. And golf! When I first returned to the desert SW it was with a need to constantly wear really dark glasses after having lived where I literally couldn't see the forest for the greenery!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Unfortunately, all that nice greenery is tough to enjoy when you can't make a decent living. Folks think ABQ pay is low, they've never tried making a decent wage on the MS/AL gulf coast. FL panhandle doesn't pay either. Which is one of the many reasons I moved back out west. But then, I'm also the idiot who loves ABQ and Phoenix in July

Old 04-26-2010, 05:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,116 times
My parents moved our family to Albuquerque from Portland, OR a few years ago and settled on the NE heights area. It has great schools (both public and private, I attended La Cueva HS) it is one of the safer places to live in ABQ and is close to the Sandia mountains and all the hiking and bike trails, railrunner, balloon fiesta park and it an area that is developing rapidly. The north Valley area is also nice, especially the los ranchos neighborhoods in the North Valley. There are also a few good schools in that area. My husband and I lived in the EDO (east downtown) area after we were married which is kind of a funk hip area that is being marketed to younger professionals and families, but I would not say it is the saftest neighborhood for kids as of yet (lots of busy streets, close to downtown). Good luck!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:17 PM

110 posts, read 366,096 times
You will find that the cost of heating is less in the city of Albuquerque. Get outside the city and the story may be different. The rural electric co-op is about twice the rate and propane isn't cheap. In the city is always the best bet for utility expenses.

Showering twice on a hot summer day will dry you up like a potato chip. You will change from lotion to a heavy cream. A lot of folks from the south will suffer with nose bleeds, caused by drying membranes but it soon passes. Once you've become accustomed to the atmosphere, you can never go back to the south. There, you shower and fight to get your pants on. Here, you shower and slide on your pants like you've never experienced. There, if you don't ventilate the bathroom, you create a sauna. Here, if you don't ventilate the bathroom, you get a little sweat on the mirror and it's all gone and dry 10 minutes after you open the door.

There, you hang out clothes and come back the next day to see if they are dry. Here, you hang out clothes and bring them in dry an hour later.

There, you put crackers in the sugar. Here, you'd look like an idiot doing that. There you use coasters or watch a waterfall down the side of the coffee table. Here, you seldom need more than a napkin. There, you constantly fight mildew. Here, if you have mildew it's a sign of huge laziness. There, you walk across the yard too early in the morning and you have wet shoes. Here, you have to water the lawn to get wet shoes. There, you scratch yourself bloody from chiggers. Here, it's a thing of the past. No chiggers.

There, you get fleas in the house and you practically have to move to get away from them. Here, you get fleas in the house, treat it once and they're gone. There, if you have animals you treat the lawn for chiggers and fleas. Here, you treat the lawn only if in an older neighborhood where there's a good chance somebody brought a flea bitten dog into the yard and infected it. In other words, you're surprised when you discover fleas. Ticks do exist in the bottom land, around the river and in the mountain at low altitudes.

Divide Albuquerque into quarters. If you're concerned about safety and schools, stick the the NE quarter, the farther north the better. Rio Rancho is ok, I guess. Just not my taste. I watched it grow from the sand pile up.

Jobs are plentiful but so is the competition.You just have to be a dog after a bone, to beat out the next guy.Jobs are so plentiful you can take whatever you can get and just keep searching for better.

And by the way, everything you need is still within 15 minutes. You job make take you farther but if anywhere in the Albuquerque area, not more than 40 minutes tops. Average, 20 minutes.

And that's what you call a brief for a southern boy.

By the way - my grown daughter was born here and she still suffers with dry skin and dry nasal passages, especially in the fall. She battles the dry cracking nasal passages with a cue tip and vaseline.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red46 View Post
She battles the dry cracking nasal passages with a cue tip and vaseline.
Great post and it should be made into a "sticky" for all those who will continue asking the same questions ad finitum about Albuq.

As for drying skin, I find that as I've aged I'm more bothered. I never had nose bleeds until the past year or so.

But I've discovered a line of products that works like a charm for me - especially the moisturizing creams. I use one of those in my nose when it dries out. The product line sounds weird, but it's quality stuff, IMO.

BURT'S BEES - yep, that's the brand name. I have NO interest in the company. Just found it by chance after suffering for years with very painful splits in the skin of my heels. Their foot cream cured me! I buy their products in Walgreen's Drugstore.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque