Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 03:11 AM

28 posts, read 105,475 times

Advertisements

Well I'm pretty much set that my daughter will be attending UNM come the fall of 2010. Will be coming from Hawaii, I've read as much about Abq from this forum and paid a visit and did a tour of the campus in December. I'm very interested if any of you have stayed in the dorms. When I did my tour, I was shown a made up room for campus visitation, of course it looked ok. I've usually come across comments that the dorms are old, lots of roaches, rundown, but those were from a few years ago, has there been any changes? What about the dorms, do they make a difference on which ones she stays in, Hakona, Santa Ana etc., Any replies would be helpful, Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 08:37 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trafton
... set that my daughter will be attending UNM ...
Are you set that she must live in a dorm? If not, here is a thread
on apartments in the nearby neighborhood:

Relocating to UNM for grad school; need housing for under $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafton
... dorms are old, lots of roaches, rundown, ...
I have been in a dorm once and found it OK, but unremarkable.

The area has a lot of roaches, so I'm not surpised about that
when you factor in a large population who has been waited on
hand-and-foot by their parents and have no concept of cleaning
up after themselves. ( Even if that population is only 20% of the
total, that's a lot of roach food. )

If the dorms *don't* have a lot of roaches, then they are so full
of pesticides that any student living in such a place would die
before they were 30 due to carcinogen accumulation. I'll take
the roaches, than you.

Some dorms are old and some are pretty new.

There is no real advantage to living in the dorms vs. a nearby
apartment. Apartment life to me would have so much more to
offer. However, for a freshman, I guess that I'd let them have a
dorm the first year unless you are willing to do some reconnoissance.

There is are a number of apartment buildings nearby where your
sprog can have a sense of community and helpful neighbors along
with a landlord who is concerned about slovenly tenants. I just
don't know how you can find them without a walkabout in the Ghetto.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:31 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times
It depends on the dorms. There are some really nice apartment style dorms that simply fantastic (my nephew is one). There are also some older dorms that have been around for ever. School to school, there isn't a whole lot of difference in the aesthetics of a dorm.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
It depends on the dorms. There are some really nice apartment style dorms that simply fantastic (my nephew is one). There are also some older dorms that have been around for ever. School to school, there isn't a whole lot of difference in the aesthetics of a dorm.
That's what I'm trying to get after, what dorms are better than the other at UNM. abqsunport, what dorm is he staying in, just inquisitive, Thanks.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:43 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times
He is staying in the SRC, or Student Residence Center. The other nice dorms he said is Redondo. Apparently the SRC's is 6 Individual Beds, 2 Bathrooms, a kitchen, dining room, and living room. Redondo is same, but with 4 bedrooms, 1 bath, and is newer.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
He is staying in the SRC, or Student Residence Center. The other nice dorms he said is Redondo. Apparently the SRC's is 6 Individual Beds, 2 Bathrooms, a kitchen, dining room, and living room. Redondo is same, but with 4 bedrooms, 1 bath, and is newer.
abqsunport, thanks for your response.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:21 PM

366 posts, read 1,247,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

There is no real advantage to living in the dorms vs. a nearby
apartment.
the advantage of living in a dorm over an apartment your first year is you meet a lot more people and make friends. i would think it would be much harder living in an apartment.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Some of the student ghetto apartments are much worse than any dorm situation. The complaints I've heard from students about the dorms are the same at any university (I work on campus). The campus exterminator (the famous "Bug Man") is a champion of environmentally safe pesticide use and nobody will be harmed by their pesticides. Last year there seemed to be an increase in roach complaints (judging from letters to the student paper) but I haven't heard much after that. Reminders go out about not leaving pizza and other food scattered around the floor which attract the pests. An apartment I visited once near UH-Hilo was much more infested with insects of many kinds and sizes than anything I've seen around UNM! And I agree with RandomName that it will be much easier to make friends in the dorms.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 7,418 times
I am in the dorms right now. I am in Laguna DeVargas, which I do not recommend. You don't meet many people because it is a really weird setup and you have the smallest room there is (no desks in room). SRC's and Redondo are very nice for living, but you really will only get to know the people you live with. Alvarado is a nice traditional style dorm. You meet a lot of ppl and the rooms are larger than the other trad. dorms (or at least it seems that way to me). Hokona is likely the loudest dorm and she will probably meet the most ppl there, but it is harder to study. Coronado's are weird dorms and I would not recommend them. Santa Ana and Santa Clara are some of, if not the oldest dorms, but my friends who live there don't complain much. They are sort of the closest dorms to the places she would need to go. Redondo is furthest from campus, but is closer to walgreens, taco bell, hollywood video, and panda express and it is very clean and an amazingly cofortable place to live. And i lied SRC's are actually closer to any campus necessity,they are more run down than Redondo and you live with 5 rather than 3 other people, but students seem to like them.

Living in the dorms is nice b/c it is really convenient. you can wake up 5 min before class and not be late. Living off campus you have to leave a good half hour early to get there on time (and that's if you live close by ex. sun village, netherwoods, broadstones, houses off copper or roma). And you'll make friends much more easily.

Last edited by schillz33; 03-17-2010 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Need to add

Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 AM

Schillz, thanks, that's just what the doctor ordered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque