U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,179 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Albuquerque, NM and working for Lovelace Medical Center. I have never been to Albuquerque and only information I have on it is what I found researching it online. I would love to know what the hospital is like and how people feel for the city and surrounding area. Also nice/safe neighborhoods to begin researching apartments. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 01:37 PM

2,924 posts, read 4,453,829 times
Maybe if you could fill in some of the gaps.... what sort of hospital job, why are you considering Albuquerque, approximate age, interests, what specifically you want to know.

I'm on the Lovelace health plan and know that Lovelace has been through a lot of painful changes over the last 10 years, they lost a lot of staff during that period and (like most hospitals I hear about) are very understaffed. Lots of visiting, temporary staff. A relative was hospitalized there a couple of times last year, long wait to get placed in a room from emergency (admitted to emergency in a.m., wait until wee hours the following morning to get a bed on one of the floors). She got a drug-resistant hospital infection while there and had to stay longer in isolation. I was not pleased. Staff varied widely in skill, some were obviously competent, others clueless. I guess this is typical of health care in the richest country in the world.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:47 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,039,738 times
I am very unhappy with Lovelace and Albuquerque Health Partners.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 5,179 times
I'm 31. Never been to Albuquerque but everyone I know who has has told me how beautiful it is. Moving there for employment and change of scenary. I like hiking, working out, hanging out with cool people, shopping, meuseums. As for the job at Lovelace, its in the Cath Lab department and it scared me a little when they wanted to hire me after a 15 min phone interview. I am scared that it has a poor reputation and unhappy staff

Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 AM

You are lucky that you're in high demand as a health care worker and finding jobs is easy. Not lucky that the health care industry is in crisis, high stress, and most people I know who are in it want to get out!

Sounds like you're single and mobile, don't have to move a family or anything. I would say give it a try. If you don't like it, you can find another job easily, maybe even in another hospital in town. Lovelace used to have a very good reputation but I think in recent years with changes in ownership it has faltered, compared to Presbyterian (the other private hospital in town). My friend who works at the VA as a trauma nurse seems to think Pres is better than Lovelace now, but it's pretty close. There must be others in the forum much more knowledgeable than I am on the subject.

You will definitely get a drastic change of scenery and plenty of hiking. When I have a bad day at work I can still go into the mountains and leave all my troubles behind.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:16 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,161,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Lovelace ... compared to Presbyterian (the other private hospital in town).
I have no idea if this is something that is common, is a new trend, or there is another reason for it. But it seems to me that hospitals nowadays are relying more on hiring the newly graduated as "temporary" interns who spend up to six months at one place before moving on somewhere else. I have been told it's a way to pay off the mountain of student loan debts, but know little about the practice other than that.

I also know of highly experienced medical people who travel about in their jobs in various parts of the country - anesthesiologists seem to do it most often - but again not sure why. Some even have their own planes in which they commute.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:27 PM

281 posts, read 533,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I am very unhappy with Lovelace and Albuquerque Health Partners.
I'm unhappy with healthcare as a whole, but my recent experience with Lovelace (then-wife had an emergency surgery) was far from the worst experience I've had.

My summary on healthcare in ABQ -- OVERLOADED. I've been to nights in the ER when people who should be admitted were turfed because there weren't beds. Someone (before I got here, someone political or business-minded, I'm sure) closed down a hospital in town and everyone else got hammered in the meantime -- or so I've heard. I can't begin to back this up with facts, I wasn't too concerned with ABQ politics and news before I got here.

Presbyterian and Lovelace are the two "better" providers in town, University not so much... you're much more likely to find true experts (Dr. House style) in the teaching system, but you're also more likely to get queued behind the indigent, the illegal, and the much more severe. P&L survived, for me, on the efforts individual contributers going above and beyond, rather than as the result of good direction or policy, but we did get those people who made the stay a decent experience, as much as an emergency surgery can be.

It's not excellent, it's far from the WORST care I've gotten in the US. (See Las Vegas... )

-Z

---------------------------
Standard disclaimer - personal experience only, I'm not a medical person beyond dealing with me or my loved ones when I get sick. I know what I've discovered and what I've heard, largely "off the record" from my doctors. Your Mileage may vary, I'm not liable for anything, and... well... if you don't like my answers, find a lawyer and let's test the 1st amendment in New Mexico courts.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:09 AM

1,732 posts, read 3,766,345 times
I'm actually looking forward to Presbyterian's new hospital opening in RR. It's about a mile from my house ( close enough to be convenient, far away enough not to bother us ) and the odds that the ER won't be as frightening as the downtown hospitals.

There IS a Lovelace on the West Side ( and there is also a Women's center on...Montgomery? where a friend delivered a preemie and had great care ) and I would think that would be much much nicer than the downtown hospital as well. Only been there once and it was really just to an office located in an adjacent building but the main hospital looked pretty good.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 AM

The Lovelace Westside hospital is pretty nice but has limited services. A friend had a hip replacement there which went fine. But when another friend called an ambulance for severe abdominal pain she requested the Lovelace Westside Hospital but the EMT's said that hospital ER couldn't handle emergency surgery (in case she needed an emergency appendectomy) and said she had to go downtown.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:12 AM

3,556 posts, read 8,823,212 times
The RR/Westside hospital should really help the situation. Not only is it designed by one of my favorite firms (RMKM), but the location seems an intelligent response to the existing development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque