U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2010, 12:31 AM

3 posts, read 5,344 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have decided to move from Orlando and we both feel New Mexico might be a nice place to try. I'm hoping to gain some insight into the best areas of town to live.

I am 27, he is 36. No kids. We like the music scene, mom & pop stores, health food stores, organic vegetables/farmers markets. Would love to live within walking distance or a bike ride to fun places to hang out. We also walk/jog every morning and would prefer to be in a neighborhood that is conducive to pedestrians.

Originally we thought of moving to Taos or Santa Fe, however, I will probably be going back to school within the next year and it seems that Albuquerque has the best options for school - so I wouldn't want to live more than a 30 min. drive from the university. We run our own business from home, so a work commute isn't an issue.

Any insight you can provide is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 01:13 AM

449 posts, read 567,916 times
Definitely check out the Nob Hill neighborhood - directly east of the university. You might also look into downtown ABQ, or areas between downtown and the university. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:22 AM

918 posts, read 1,782,142 times
Hi jenndaisy82, welcome to the forum. Given that you're interested in school eventually, the first area that pops into mind is the Nob Hill area. It has everything else you've mentioned and you'd be minutes from UNM campus. There are other schools around town (CNM, etc...) but none are so obviously bi-located with other cultural/social stuff. Only thing is that it's going to carry some of the heftier price/lease/rents in town. They just finished some new lofts right on Central. Walking distance to everything you mentioned and some, but no tellin' what they're going for.

As for the bike ride part, while Albuquerque loves to brag about it's bike friendly status, as a biker I can tell you that for the most part you're aware that you're sharing space on a grid system meant solely for cars. This means often being separated from multi ton SUV's being piloted by people busy texting on their cell phones by a 6" stripe of paint. There ARE some amazing dedicated paths/trails around town, but you'll rarely be able to stay on them and get where you're going.

Search: Nob Hill and see what pops up. If it's a bit pricey, let us know what a comfortable range would be and we can adjust our recommendations accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque