Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 899 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am moving to Alb. I have read as much as I can about the comments left here for those that are also moving. I am moving from a small town (~100,000) compared to Alb. I have spent a lot of time online searching info about the city. I am moving with my mother and 2 brothers - early 20's, me late 20's and we are O.K. with the laid back atmosphere of Alb. partly because of my mom. I'm really tired of the hot weather here were we live, south TX and mostly the sprawl problem. O.K. my question, is the NE side the best part of the city? I know the Nob hill area seems to get the most points. But as far as quiet living we have consider the NE. Any nice affordable apts?
What about the crime rate, is it just like any city or is it a little bit more?? Another thing is the homeless, why are there so many people? AND I don't mean to be rude but I have visited at least 4 times and I'm just not used to seeing so many people on the streets -- we have about 5 homeless people here on my town, there are regulars, we see them all the time.
Any info will be greatly appreciatated!!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 12:21 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,561,603 times
I'm not sure what part of town you visited, or what time of year, but I can count on one hand how many homeless people I've seen in 2-1/2 years. And one doesn't count, I see him all the time (I think he's more scammer than homeless). Dallas and Tampa had lots more homeless wandering around than we do.

Search 'crime' here on the forum and you'll find quite a few good threads discussing the various areas of town.

We could probably give you more details if you let us know what price range/size apartment you're wanting. "Reasonable" varies by person.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,433,371 times
And where you will be working. And where the other adults will be working. Four adults in the apartment--you'll want a 4 bedroom?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:51 AM

366 posts, read 865,186 times
Nob hill gets the most points because a lot of people that come here put a priority on activities close by, walk ability, closeness to mass transit, etc. As far as "typical" family living I personally consider the NE height to be the best area of town, but it depends on you priorities, there are a lot of good options for different people.

I my previous apartment searches (this was like 4 - 5 years ago), I have seen very very few 4 bed room apartments in the NE heights (are there any?) I know even searching for a 3 bedroom apartment the few I could I could find weren't cheaper than renting a 3 bedroom house in the area.

Or are you all moving to Albuquerque, but no intending the live together in the same apartment? Maybe just 2 two bedrooms in the same complex?

There are lots of people that pan handle at the major intersections during the summer, and a fair number down town and near the UNM area, but compared to southern Florida...Anyways the larger and warmer a city is the more homeless people you get. I read many years ago that Albuquerque is part of a route for migrant pan handlers that basically make their living going from city to city pan handling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque