Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:19 PM

7 posts, read 9,838 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone! My pup's a bird dog and wasn't well socialized, so I absolutely can't let him off leash unless it's fenced, which is why it's important for us to live near a fenced-in dog park, especially since I want to be able to take him just about every day. It would be nice to be able to walk there from our place, but I don't mind a 10-15 min drive. I am used to living in lower-income neighborhoods as a student, and I grew up in San Francisco so I know how to take care of myself in "bad" neighborhoods, although I have noticed that a lot of people say that neighborhoods are undesirable if there are more minorities or low income folk living there, and not necessarily because the neighborhood is not safe.

I am definitely looking for a house, with a fenced yard, not an apartment- and am hoping to find a place to move into with someone else who also has a dog. I'm going to start posting on Craigslist. Any other suggestions for looking for roommates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 02:35 PM

It also looks like Rio Grande Triangle Park and Tom Bolack Urban Forest Park and Los Altos Park are other options... What are these neighborhoods called? Does anyone live in these areas? I can't wait to visit!!! If I like it, I may look into buying a house in the next two years...

Last edited by wyleemonkee; 04-10-2010 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 03:11 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,259 times
Roosevelt Park is a great park, I second that I love to run around that park.

Congrats about UNM! I went to grad school there and have good memories

Old 04-10-2010, 06:50 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Roosevelt Park doesn't have a fenced area that I know of.

The other parks you mentioned are good options (Tom Bolack is the only one I'm not familiar with), they are all in mixed-income areas, i.e. close to low-income and middle-income areas like most of ABQ. Be assured I'm not referring to ethnic groups, as Albuquerque is very integrated in most areas. It does tend to be true that lower-income areas attract more crime.

Neighborhood names: Rio Grande Triangle is sandwiched between the Country Club neighborhood and the western fringe of Downtown, easy to reach on foot from either neighborhood. Los Altos is across a busy street from the neighborhood of the same name, not real easy to walk to. Tom Bolack looks to be very walkable from the adjacent neighborhood according to the map... just don't know the name of that immediate 'hood.

Good luck with your search!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:07 AM

Thanks aries! That's super helpful!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:46 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I happened to check out the Tom Bolack Urban Forest while I was out and about yesterday, it's tucked in behind a little neighborhood (Mark Twain is the name) and up against the I-40 corridor, with the resulting roar of traffic. It looks like one of the more forlorn parks in town, kinda seedy. But the fenced dog park area was a good size and the dogs seemed happy.

You might also want to check out the housing section in the student newspaper classifieds:
New Mexico Daily Lobo :: Classifieds

For dog issues, you might want to join the ABQ Dogs group on Duke City Fix:
ABQ Dogs - Duke City Fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque