Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:24 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiswhack View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the exception with Subarus? Is that specific to New Mexico? I saw a TON of them on the road when I was out there. Good cars.
They're good cars and in high demand out here so the dealers aren't having to slash prices to sell them.

That said, I bought a 2010 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 5 door yesterday for about 1,600 under list...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidquasar View Post
I am moving to Albuquerque from the DC metro area MD and I'm trying to work out the best way to go about buying a car and moving my stuff. Currently I do not own a car but if i bought one before I move I think I could fit all my essential belongings in it and just drive down cheaply. The problem with that is I would have to register it in Maryland then have to register it again in New Mexico plus having a new car not in the same state where it was bought might have issues if i need repairs in the near future. Another option would be to rent a uhaul or something for about 13000 and just buy a car when i get there , but that seems expensive for the amount of stuff I have. Lastly I thought maybe flying down and shipping what to can't take on the plane with me with ups. My concern here is that i would have to ship my expensive desktop computer and monitor and I have no experience shipping large amounts of items. Any advice for best coarse of action would be really appreciated, thanks.
This isn't an issue. If you buy from a dealer, chances are pretty good that there is a comparable dealer in ABQ. I had a leased vehicle when I moved from NJ to NM and I never had a single problem getting the car serviced even though the lease originated in NJ.

I would try to buy something before you move - you are going to want/need to do a lot of running around after you get here to get food staples, etc. and it will be a lot easier if you already have a car.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:47 AM

277 posts, read 682,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
They're good cars and in high demand out here so the dealers aren't having to slash prices to sell them.

That said, I bought a 2010 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 5 door yesterday for about 1,600 under list...

How'd you do that? End-of-year deal or did they let you bargain down? Did you have a trade-in? And which dealer (or, say, which geographic location of a dealer?) did you end up going with?

Old 06-10-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
How'd you do that? End-of-year deal or did they let you bargain down? Did you have a trade-in? And which dealer (or, say, which geographic location of a dealer?) did you end up going with?
I sent you a direct message with more info.

Oh, yes.. no trade in, straight deal..

Old 06-17-2010, 09:43 PM

16 posts, read 23,246 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the OP had a typo on that $13,000 U-Haul cost. I paid less than that
to ship an entire household in a 40 foot container from Panama to ABQ.
a UHaul from NH-NM is only $1,500

Old 06-18-2010, 01:24 AM

1,369 posts, read 714,369 times
Default Subarus in demand

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what is the exception with Subarus? Is that specific to New Mexico? I saw a TON of them on the road when I was out there. Good cars.
I think someone else already posted that they are in demand... in certain areas, because they are super safe, great AWD, good quality. Basically, models/makes that sell well are harder to get bargains on. I did get mine in NY for $1000 off MSRP, and it was the base model, so it was only 5% off MSRP. However, the base model has lower profit margins so I got a decent (not awesome) deal. However, I will make some of that back when I eventually sell it, because they hold their resale value.

They get inadequate gas mileage (besides the 2010 Outback), so you will see a lot less of them anywhere that doesn't have occasional heavy snow/windy roads.

Last edited by Arcos; 06-18-2010 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: Grammer

Old 06-18-2010, 01:26 AM

1,369 posts, read 714,369 times
Default Impreza OB sport roofrack?

Quote:

Shouldn't that car have a roof rack? Or did you get them to remove it before you bought it? And the body cladding?

Old 06-18-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Shouldn't that car have a roof rack? Or did you get them to remove it before you bought it? And the body cladding?

The roof rack is an option as is the body cladding. If I ever need the rack, I'll just buy
it across the counter (it's removable) and I have no desire for the body cladding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque