U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM

549 posts, read 1,095,022 times

Advertisements

I definitely think Placitas fits your specifications. Lots of fellow retirees, low density, beautiful landscapes and homes, not far from shopping, closer to Santa Fe if that appeals. It's very special here and I heartily recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:21 PM

449 posts, read 560,770 times
You know, it sounds like Placitas is what you're looking for, but I'm not sure I can recommend low-density, car-oriented suburbs for retirees. It may be fine now, but after working with senior developments in the greater Washington, DC area, areas where you can walk to the grocery store make a lot more sense, and they help preserve the "natural" environments you like so much. I found that the lack of mobility for many leads to a sense of isolation in many scenarios. I'm not trying to tell you you're looking in the wrong area, I just think it's something to consider. I would honestly focus your search on areas that are low density, but near a small-town center. Areas where you can walk one way for groceries, and the other way for wide-open country.

Placitas is beautiful. I'll admit, I personally don't think people should build there. I also think transportation issues will be a big issue in the future as so many have chosen to retire in the suburbs. So there's my spin on things...

Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 PM

1,643 posts, read 2,113,484 times
You shouldn't rule out areas like Corrales, North Albuquerque Acres and my favourite, Four Hills

Old 12-02-2009, 01:16 AM

246 posts, read 375,979 times
Lightbulb Placitas & Other Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueGL View Post

My husband and I want to retire in the Albuquerque area (perhaps Placitas). We want to live in a low-density area. We'd rather drive 20 minutes for groceries than have strip malls close by, although we don't want to live off the grid. We like a natural environment - we don't like things too well manicured, but don't want to live where people don't take pride in their homes and surroundings either. We've learned that people can't be measured by their income level, education level, the kind of work they do, etc. and don't want to live where people are judged by that. However, we're both well-traveled professionals and enjoy socializing with people who can keep up their end of the conversation. We're moving from an area where home prices are comparable with Santa Fe, so price isn't too big of a factor. We'd appreciate suggestions for areas that may be suited to us. Thanks!

I will go ahead and go with the rest of the gang in recommending Placitas for you and the hubby. It looks like that would be a perfect fit for you two. As BerncoHomes also mentioned, do not rule out Corrales, N. Albuquerque Acres, or Four Hills, although the latter would not be considered 'low density'.

I would also like to throw in Los Ranchos to the mix as well. A truly beautiful and unique area that is a small village in the heart of Albuquerque. The town of Bernalillo is also very nice, and very affordable. You may also want to check out some of the small towns that surround Albuquerque, such as Bosque Farms, Algodones, Torreon, Manzano, and Eldorado @ Santa Fe. All are good areas and offer a lot of what you want, yet each town is very different from one another.

I wish you and the hubby the best of luck on your move and welcome to The Land of Enchantment.

--BtK

Old 12-02-2009, 07:10 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,272,927 times
We're retired and have been living in Placitas for five years.

i like it for the following reasons:
Views
Friendly neighbors
Healthy lifestyle (we take a long walk every morning)
Proximity to nature
Local bank (1st Community) and grocery (The Merc)
Proximity to I-25 (we live on the west end)
Cultural events: Placitas Artists Series, concerts at Presbyterian Church, concerts at the Rockin' R Gallery.
Sounds of birds singing and coyotes howling
Access to the Railrunner (down the hill in Bernalillo)
The Range Cafe in Bernalillo
Abuelita's Restaurant in Bernalillo
TaMaGro Hardware in Bernalillo

We do our major grocery shopping in Rio Rancho and make good use of Home Depot (off of Hwy 550 in RR).

We drive to Abq two or three times a week for a movie, dinner out, a play, or cultural event.

The only downside is the cost of heating our place with propane. I'm saving up to switch to natural gas next year. I figure it's about 30% cheaper
than propane.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:05 AM

7 posts, read 13,355 times
Default Placitas utilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post

The only downside is the cost of heating our place with propane. I'm saving up to switch to natural gas next year. I figure it's about 30% cheaper than propane.
Thanks, nmguy. You gave me another thing to think about - utilities. I'm used to living in an area where all utilities are "delivered" right to my doorstep. Is heating with propane typical in Placitas? How difficult is it to get a natural gas hookup?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Is heating with propane typical in Placitas? How difficult is it to get a natural gas hookup?
The switch over, for us, would cost about $4,000. It involves extending the gas line to our place, changing the orifices on the heater, and allowing New Mexico Gas Company to do its thing.

I'd estimate that half the residents, especially those in newer houses, have natural gas.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-02-2009 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 AM

17,474 posts, read 18,567,856 times
SueGL,

Natural gas is produced in New Mexico so it is very popular. It's a matter of living in an area with a population great enough to justify running the gas lines to the areas, I don't know the specifics in Placitas, ie when did they run gas lines to that area.... But that is something you might consider...

Rich

Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 AM

753 posts, read 965,741 times
Available utilities depends on where you live. As nmguy points out, the newer homes and subdivisions (mostly post 1990-95) have natural gas, as well as cable or dsl. Our subdivision was begun in the early 1990s, and all the homes have nat gas.

We are part of a water coop that serves 1,000+ homes (LaMesa, Sundance Mesa, Tierra Madre and, I think, Trails, Petroglyphs and Anasazi subdivisions, maybe more ). Water quality or availability has not been an issue. Other areas have smaller systems, or use individual or shared wells.

There is no sewer system, so you will have a septic system (ours has given us no problems in the 10 years here). Trash pickup will have to be privately contracted.

I also second nmguy's positives about the area (and suggest that he try Blades Bistro in the Merc center).

Old 12-02-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I also second nmguy's positives about the area (and suggest that he try Blades Bistro in the Merc center).
I ate at Blades Bistro when it first opened and enjoyed the meal. It reminded me a bit of the Prairie Star, located on the Santa Ana Pueblo. Thanks to jiminnm for mentioning it.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of food that is served at El Piñon, located in the Homestead center. Their bbq pork is pretty good.

Placitas, like many areas in NM, exudes an unspoken beauty. Sunrises, sunsets, the majestic Sandías, and the bright, blue sky all contribute to the lure of this area.

When out-of-state folks come out for a visit and return from a walk in our subdivision, they are always struck by the number of folks who acknowledge them with a wave from the car or a "How are you?" if they're walking, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque