Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 AM

33 posts, read 78,086 times

Advertisements

We have lived in Ventana for the last year and a half (renting) and we are looking to purchase next year.

With a 2 year old and a 5 month old we are primarily interested in schools, community events, parks, activities, safety and accessibility.

My wife is big on private schools (she went through Montessori) so that option is on the table.

I grew up on 3 acres in the redwoods of nor-cal and am feeling really claustrophobic in the ventana area. I love the country feel of the valley and I am hoping for a good list to compare and contrast these two communities.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 PM

26 posts, read 43,055 times
Default Corrales really has country feel

Corrales is a more clustered area. They have a fairly good public elementary and some excellent private schools.
The community is always planning something. They have festivals and parades all the time. They also have one of the largest farmer's markets.
The library is a little small, but as you have very young children that will not matter (fountain in library)
They have lots of local small shops, and if you need shopping on a larger scale, well Alb is right down the road.
It feels like you are way out, but your not.
Congratulations on deciding to leave Ventana.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, normally just called "Los Ranchos," is a village in Bernalillo County. It is not part of Albuquerque. Corrales is a village in Sandoval County. They each have advantages and disadvantages. We have lived walking distance to Corrales from our home Rio Rancho since 1998. We also have owned a home in Albuquerque during that period.

There are some parts of both places which I like. Home type and actual location would be the major factor to me.

I have grandchildren who have gone through K-12 and college in Rio Rancho but I really am not familiar with the current school systems except Corrales has a Montesori school and elementary school on the main road. Corrales International School is actually in Albuquerque closer to Los Ranchos that to Corrales.

I consider "community events, parks, activities, safety and accessibility" probably equal depending on you and were you actually live and how far you are willing to go. And what your interests are. Both areas are small, less than 15 sq miles, with populations less than 10,000. Corrales is a bit larger. Los Rancho is closer to places in ABQ which I would like to frequent. Over the years I have gone to most event's in Corrales. I have relatives in the North Valley near Los Ranchos, so I might be a bit biased...

Corrales is on well water and septic systems and has been resistant to push for city water. They had some real unusual past councilors who really were not concerned about children welfare based on some of their comments. I believe that have been voted out and they eventually got a skate park.

Los Ranchos would be better for us, I can't say for you. My wife does not want to move again and she is happy with her current house. We have lived in a few states and overseas.

Good luck to you.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque