Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 AM

66 posts, read 126,637 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend are planning to move out to Albuquerque later this year, most likely in early to mid September. We've looked around and the more we look, the more we like the area.

She's an RNA (completing her certificate in the next two weeks) and I'm trying to write and I'd like to go back to school. I work as management in fast food and will likely be transferring but I hate the job and really do want to find something new when I get there, even if its basic work, only keeping it so one of us has a job when we get there, want to be able to find an apartment.

My main questions are, are there any decent hotels/motels that rent by the month for a reasonable price? We don't want to pick an apartment over the internet, though we are looking, we'd rather be there and check them out ourselves. If these hotels are centrally located, that'd be ideal. We'll be taking Amtrak into the town (with a bunch of boxes) and then probably renting a van very short term to get our stuff to wherever we go, but we won't have a car beyond the first day or two until we find one and an easy central place to look for jobs/cars/apartments from would be good.

One we've come back to is the Arbors, seems nice, good price and the reviews online are strong. Any other places we should be looking out for? We're hoping to pay in the 450-600 a month range for a one bedroom. A spacious studio would be alright too but we'd prefer a bedroom. Also, how's the location of the Arbors or other places? We plan to buy a car but only one initially, she has a car but there's no way it'd make it down there and mine recently died and I won't get a new one until I get there, I'm making due on a bike. I don't mind biking and wouldn't mind doing so when I get there at times to work and such but to do so, location is key. A place with plenty of stores would be good as would an area with plenty of doctors offices nearby for her.

Also, what' typical in Albuquerque when you move in? First month and security or first/last/security? Just curious, we will have a good amount saved up to move (around 7000) but we aren't rich either.

We just both have always hated Michigan and desperately want to make a new start, we've always wanted to live somewhere warm and out west, Albuquerque seems perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Oh, and one more question, how is the Rio Rancho area? It'd make the one car thing much harder, but I understand its somewhat cheaper? Would I have a better time finding something in my price range there? My girlfriend has lived in a VERY small town her whole life (Population of 2,200) near a bigger city (mine, population of about 80,000). She's somewhat nervous as she's used to going back to her quiet little area at night. The supposed small town feel of Albuquerque is part of why we're leaning towards it, despite the fact that I think I'd be happy in either type, big or small, though I want some of the things that come with a big city.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
My wife and I have lived in Rio Rancho 11 years. I have a daughter and two/three grandchildren who also live in Rio Rancho.

The "Car thing"? We have vehicles, my wife commutes to Kirtland Air Force Base.

Rio Rancho has a population of about 80,000.

There is one hospital in place and other being built.

I do not consider Rio Rancho to normally be a place to be without a vehicle...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-20-2010 at 05:58 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 PM

4 posts, read 7,435 times
Default re: hotels & rent prices

My girlfriend and I moved out here from Michigan last August and we really like it so far. We stayed in a studio hotel for the first three weeks we were here. Studio 6 is an affordable stay, the rooms are not huge but the price was right around 250 per week. For a temporary place to stay it wasn't bad. I don't know if it is centrally located enough though. It is in the NE heights right off of I-25, so the freeway is close by and there is a bus stop right there. As far as rent goes there are a lot of apartment complexes that don't require first and last months rent. Forrent.com and apartmentguide.com are good places to look. I think we paid our first months rent plus around 250 dollars for a security deposit. Not too bad. Rent is fairly affordable here, we found it to be about the same as N. Michigan. Good Luck

Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 PM

I appreciate the answer. Just out of curiosity, how did you guys get down here? Looking for the most affordable way to move. And approximately how much did you have when you moved?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:43 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing147
Looking for the most affordable way to move.
Most affordable:

(1) Move the least amount of stuff.
(2) Do the largest amount of the work yourself.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Planning to do just that. Thinking of taking Amtrak there, they'll let us each bring 3 50 pound items checked, plus 2 carry ons of that size, plus we can each check up to 3 more 50 pounders for 10 bucks each. So for 60 dollars (plus tickets) we can bring 16 items. Just trying to find out if boxes will be allowed if they fit in the size allowed.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,579 times
Heh. I've moved via Amtrack as well. You're correct - best deal for moving that can be found. Be prepared however, I got alot of funny looks when I off-loaded about 8 50-pound boxes at Washington, DC's Central station....

Old 04-20-2010, 12:12 PM

I'm sure. Me and my girlfriend will likely have 14 or so... lol. We're going to have a friend with a van drive us to the station in Chicago most likely, our local station doesn't allow luggage checking so... no real choice on that. The only question is how to get it somewhere once we're in Albuquerque, either to a place we're staying or to a hotel... current plan is to take a taxi to the local UHaul place and rent their cargo van for a single day and have the girlfriend stay with the boxes until I get back.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Don't overlook the option of just sending a few boxes of stuff
that you will need eventually, but not immediately via UPS ground.

It's nice not to have to deal with some of your stuff right away,
but know that you can get your hands on it. If you are moving
in summer, all your winter stuff can go this way. Lots of dishes
and books can go this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque