Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:20 PM

801 posts, read 2,205,118 times

Advertisements

Mike...I've done exactly what you describe. However, it is 7.5 miles one way up La Luz, with an elevation gain not much short of 4000 feet. The average grade is about 12-13 percent. You and the kids need to be in really good condition and used to strenuous hikes to do it.

Another option might be this: You could drive up the road to the crest. From there, it's an easy 1 mile walk (trail) over to the top of the Tram and restaurant. You could eat, takes pix and walk the easy mile back to your car. Or...in between, you could ride the tram from the top...down and back up...then walk back to your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,549,958 times
Default Tramway Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Is there a way you can park at the bottom of the Tramway entrance, then hike to the top of the tram?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Mike, that is the La Luz Trail, I have seen it from both ends, and from above (As I ride the Tram)... It looks scary to me.

It may have more than one entry point at the base...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Scary? In what way? I think it's 2.5 miles in total? What's the vertical elevation gain? How long do you think it would take, one way, going up?
Tramway Trail

My mistake. I have seen reference of "La Luz Trail" while walking along the top of crest, from the Tram.

Scary for me because I am old, and it looks steep. Everyone I have met at the top says it is best to walk up and take the tram down....

Tramway Trail Driving Instructions
To find the trailhead, drive to the (lower) Tram terminal via Tramway Blvd. Take the first left in the Tram parking lot. The trailhead is at the top of the first parking area, at the northeast corner (wp TRMPK).(ADDED: It is behind the building which has the entrance to the actual Tram and the Restaurant at the bottom; The west side of the Tram Station at the lower level, the parking lot is to my rear. I think you can park arounf the back also. Not a great walk.

Up the steps a bit, turn around, and looking East, the parking lot:

Now I either walk around or go through the building and behind I see, a trail, and a sign, and I see people walk up that path which appears to follow the Tram pretty much:

Once you get to the top of the Tram, there are a few trails. Looking North, you see what some people call the "Kiwanis Cabin", maybe a mile away:

Go here Sandia Mountain Hiking Guide: Trails For Hike Description Tramway Trail travels north along the western foothills for 2.7 miles from the Tram terminal to meet La Luz Trail (about 1 mile from the La Luz trailhead). Tramway Trail gets a lot of use by people who park their car at the Tram and then take Tramway Trail to join La Luz Trail and hike to the top of the mountain (then ride the Tram back down!). Sandia Mountain Hiking Guide: Trails and a map...

Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 AM

4,950 posts, read 7,311,101 times
I described this hike in the ABQ photo thread here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/24513629-post741.html

It is almost 9 miles from the base of the tram to the top. You hike about 2.6 miles from the base of the tram on the Tramway Trail heading north. The trail is a little difficult to follow but they have painted little blue arrows on some of the rocks and boulders to help you find your way. Then it connects to the La Luz trail for another 6 miles to the top of the tram. It is not especially steep, but it takes a long time. There is a lot of traversing the rocky talus slopes which is the least fun part. The rest of it is very enjoyable. Overall it took me 4.5 hours to climb. I run and am in pretty good shape but my knee was a little sore over the next week or so. Some kids might get bored, some might love it, it depends on the kids.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,549,958 times
Hikes in the Sandia Mountains

Sandia Mountain Hiking Guide: Trails

Short descriptions a number of hikes in the Sandia Mountains. A good overall guide.

The author has also published a book, Sandia Mountain Hiking Guide, published by the University of New Mexico Press.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque