Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
depends how they're brought up. kids usually want to eat whatever their parents eat. if they eat fast food and junk food, their kids will too.

maybe, I eat tottally differnt things than both my parents, my mom dont eat meat cause she was raised on game meat and got tired of it and all I eat is meat, my mom and dad dont eat sweets all that much, but I do. We were all forced to eat the same food, but when it came time to feed myself, my taste explored and I ate what I wanterd to eat.

I think people eat what they wanna eat, parents influence can help that out though to a certain extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 04:53 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,232 times
My parents are Franchise owners of 20 fast food places in New Mexico and Believe it or not the only time they eat food from these places is very often last time I remembered maybe 2 years ago. Growing up I loved sodas, and my parents enjoyed their healty eating habits and lifestyle. I was not the same. No way.

My parents hate junk food. I love it.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:55 PM

366 posts, read 1,247,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I'm diabetic (type Two) and unless you are grossly overweight, even a steady diet ()
of Jolt Cola ("All the sugar and twice the caffeine"), won't cause diabetes. Carbs are
more critical than sugar per se.. unless you're mainlining it.
there's a direct link to obesity and diabetes. 90% of people with type 2 are overweight.

and while you're correct that sugar alone doesn't cause diabetes, when combined with inactivity, it leads to obesity which does cause diabetes.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I know lots of kids that only drink juices... but then again they have parents that rarely eat out and cook all-organic. I was raised on nothing but juices(no cornsyrup) but once i was older I became a big fan of sodas. Especially Pibb and pepsi. But, i don't know why it's a big deal. It's UNM. They don't serve sodas at public school, i fact, I don't think you can even bring them to school now. But, I think us UNM students are old enough to be able to choose what we drink and eat. The cafeteria has water and juice and milk i believe, so no one is being forced to drink pepsis.
I agree, people should choose to eat whatever they want, thats why it was wrong for Chavez to take junk food out of the school vending machines. I was very limited to what sweets I could eat and when I could eat them, but now I go crazy on them.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
there's a direct link to obesity and diabetes. 90% of people with type 2 are overweight.

and while you're correct that sugar alone doesn't cause diabetes, when combined with inactivity, it leads to obesity which does cause diabetes.

If one is going to live in fear of every little thing, then life aint worth living, everything is bad for you in one way or another.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
maybe, I eat tottally differnt things than both my parents, my mom dont eat meat cause she was raised on game meat and got tired of it and all I eat is meat, my mom and dad dont eat sweets all that much, but I do. We were all forced to eat the same food, but when it came time to feed myself, my taste explored and I ate what I wanterd to eat.

I think people eat what they wanna eat, parents influence can help that out though to a certain extent.
everyone's taste is different. but i think kids develop habits based on their parents' behavior early on. if their parents eat healthy and exercise, as a general rule they will too. if their parents eat fast food and vegetate on the couch, they usually have little chance for a healthy life.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
If one is going to live in fear of every little thing, then life aint worth living, everything is bad for you in one way or another.
i've never heard anyone describe eating healthy and exercising as living in fear. in my opinion, the opposite is true. anyone who eats a good meal then goes mountain biking, hiking or skiing is probably living a much fuller life than someone who picks up a sack of mcdonalds and eats it in front of the tv.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I know lots of kids that only drink juices... but then again they have parents that rarely eat out and cook all-organic. I was raised on nothing but juices(no cornsyrup) but once i was older I became a big fan of sodas. Especially Pibb and pepsi. But, i don't know why it's a big deal. It's UNM. They don't serve sodas at public school, i fact, I don't think you can even bring them to school now. But, I think us UNM students are old enough to be able to choose what we drink and eat. The cafeteria has water and juice and milk i believe, so no one is being forced to drink pepsis.
I agree that adults should be able to eat or drink whatever they like. What bothers me is that so many kids get addicted to that crap at a very early age and never have a fair choice. It takes a lot of determination to quit caffein and junk food when you're already overweight at 18 and that's what you were raised on.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,477 times
Quote:

Of course, but drinking sodas is not going to cause diabetes. It may not be a good idea,
but it is not a cause.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,477 times
Quote:
I agree that adults should be able to eat or drink whatever they like. What bothers me is that so many kids get addicted to that crap at a very early age and never have a fair choice. It takes a lot of determination to quit caffein and junk food when you're already overweight at 18 and that's what you were raised on.
And don't forget the "low income diet" of starchy foods. Combine that with Cheetos and
you're in for a problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque