U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:07 PM

723 posts, read 869,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
For what it's worth, Democrats are trying to take up immigration reform before the mid-term elections. Republicans are trying to stall it. Democrats want to turn out the latin vote, which will probably only happen in large numbers if they get something accomplished. Republicans already have the racist segment of their based riled up. So all they have to do is stall.
You're almost half right.

Neither party wants to address the issue through legislation because the other party will attack them and at least half the people will be very unhappy. Both parties would rather keep the issue alive as an issue and demagouge it, rather than attempt to come up with a solution.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:23 PM

24 posts, read 28,336 times
Well I must chime in now. Mainly because as a citizen with little chance of being affected by the "papers please" requirements (i.e. I am white) there is another provision whcih no-one has talked about, which does not appear to "mirror" federal law, and seems , to me, blatantly unconsitituonal, at least as applied to myself.

This 13-2929(A)(1) which makes it a crime to give an illegal a ride. It says that if I give an illegal a ride and I know he's illegal or recklessly disregard the fact that he is and "in furtherance" of his illegal presence (I wonder what act would not be in furtherance of this goal, since everything I could possibly do for them , aside from deporting them, would help them stay in this county) give him a ride, I can be charged with a crime and my car impounded.

I am an attorney. Every person (not just citizens) has the right to counsel. if I give an illegal a ride to a court hearing and am pulled over for speeding, I will be charged for giving my client a ride and my car impounded?

If you pick up a hitchhiker, and he doesn't speak good english, you risk arrest?

The only analogous provision in federal law pertains to transporting illegals into the country, not giving them a ride while in country (at least from what I can tell - if not please give me the cite).

The fact that this bill implements these aspects, so clearly designed to turn citizens into informants, is frightening.

Also frightening is how many lawsuits are going to be filed to force the state to "comply" with this law, complete with atty fees and costs, which is going to burden the system, and breed a cadre of willing attorneys (nothing gets a lawyers heart going like seeing an atty fee award in a statute - esp when you have someone on the hook that can actually pay it - i,e., the state).

When the ads start running (is your neighbor an illegal? call white and white for a free consultation to see if your local LEO is complying with state law) you will see what an ill-advised throw in that was.

ALBQ has implemented a much, much, wiser policy (and for the mayor a political no lose - catch the support of those who are with arizona, while also catching much less slack from those opposed to it). If you are concerned about illegal immigration, please follow ALBQ lead, not Arizona's.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:45 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,259,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignium View Post
In my opinion, the Arizona Bill, may be a bit clumsy, but is not racially nor ethnically biased. And I have actually read the bill. Most of the people that complain about it or speak about it have not actually read it. Even the Attorney General, who was threatening to challenge the bill in court, admitted that he has not read the bill.

An officer can not use mere suspicion but must have reasonable suspicion and a crime must have been committed to question an offender.

So, if you are illegal, and you aren't breaking other laws, you don't have anything to worry about from local authorities in Arizona.

And to those of you who use the "Native American" arguement. Please don't. They are not native to North America either. They crossed the Bering Landbridge, and there is evidence that they were possible 3 or more migrations to the Americas.
not according to native people, we believe we were always here we are not asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque