Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,960 times

Advertisements

Was it a Nordstrom Rack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Was it a Nordstrom Rack?
Nope. Just checked on the Nordstrom site and it's shown as a normal location.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,483 times
Isn't this what retailers do? Open a new store and close old ones? Experiment with retail strategy?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Isn't this what retailers do? Open a new store and close old ones? Experiment with retail strategy?
No, not in that fashion, but they do try to make a profit, they do try to grow where applicable and they do try to avoid failures and losses. Easier said than done. I have been watching business's for many years wondering why they do what they do, why they fail and why they succeed...

Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
I agree with Poncho.. if you abandon your core, you'd really better know what the heck
you are doing. This sounds like a wild hare, (yes, it's "hare", not "hair"), not a well thought
out program.

Individual locations have always adjusted inventory to match needs. When we lived just
outside of DC, there was a Nordstrom very near us on a Metro stop and its inventory was
more "urban hipster" in content than the one near Dulles that catered to a higher income
crowd.

The one we saw in Naples was a Nordstrom in name only.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:46 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
Albuquerque will never get an Ikea. They require a population of 2 million within 60 miles to open a store.
Really? There has been in Ikea in Oslo for over 30 years and they have nowhere near that population. Their metro area is less than 1.5 million. Granted that store was probably built before the current business model with its population requirement.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM

366 posts, read 1,247,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Really? There has been in Ikea in Oslo for over 30 years and they have nowhere near that population. Their metro area is less than 1.5 million. Granted that store was probably built before the current business model with its population requirement.
They started in Sweden. I'd imagine their regional expansion 30 years ago was very different than their international expansion today.

They get constant inquiries about store expansions in the US. And their standard answer is that population is one of the deciding factors. The stores are huge and their business model is built on volume, so they need a large population to support it.

They've also said they don't expect to ship furniture anytime soon. Their reason being it doesn't make sense to sell a bookcase online when the shipping would cost more than the bookcase.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
True that, I just don't see how they could fail in Albuquerque. There is nothing between Walmart and high-end furniture in this town.

You are either sitting on polyester covered cardboard if you are poor, or silk covered mahogany if you are rich. OK, that was a bit hyperbolic, but still.

Plus I want meatballs and lingonberry sauce.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM

426 posts, read 1,087,026 times
Ikea would be nice. And FRY'S! I love Fry's Electronics. Like Ikea though, All Fry's are HUGE. Even the older themed stores are big. It wouldn't fit anywhere near ABQ uptown, and I don't think the population is large enough to sustain it.

As much as I liked Ikea, I don't think their furniture is top quality. I've had a number of their products break on me. If I want something "mid-range", I might get it from Tema. If I want high end, I'll go to Amish Connection. $$$$

Old 01-22-2011, 08:58 AM

5 posts, read 7,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Could Dick's Sporting Goods be an option for the old Macy's?
That would be a "Dicks sporting goods supercenter".

Which would be cool, considering Albuquerque does not even have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque