U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-19-2010, 10:59 PM

4 posts, read 5,273 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have been reading this forum for a long time and this is my first post. I currently live in Carlsbad, NM and have live here most of my life (except for two years when I lived in Las Cruces for college). I have always been interested in moving up 'north' to Albuquerque but it has never been the right time. I would like to know from others what I can expect different from Carlsbad. I have a 7, almost 8 year old daughter, plus my long-term boyfriend who would be living with me. I have read multiple threads that have implied the schools in Albuquerque are not that great. However, the schools in Carlsbad are probably about the same if not worse so don't know if that will make a difference when considering a place to live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:39 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,865,263 times
Just off the top of my head you'll be exchanging the small town experience for a big city one. With all that means for availability of services - such as health care, schools etc. The Rio Grande bosque is not nearly as interesting or diverse as is the Pecos River chain of lakes and artesian springs.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:28 AM

3,693 posts, read 6,499,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
The Rio Grande bosque is not nearly as interesting or diverse as is the Pecos River chain of lakes and artesian springs.
Going to have to disagree on that one.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:32 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,865,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Going to have to disagree on that one.
No problem! One person's Valhalla may well be another person's Purgatory.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:26 AM

152 posts, read 166,526 times
Well, unfortunately we don't have Caverns up here in Albuquerque, like you do down in Carlsbad. I've always wanted to see the Carlsbad Caverns. But, other than that, I would say the main difference is that Albuquerque is a much bigger city than Carlsbad is.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:03 PM

5 posts, read 4,182 times
Hey there...I'm actually FROM Carlsbad, living in Las Cruces, and seriously looking at moving to Albuquerque in the next six months. We had to get out of Carlsbad because of the DRUGS---I know, some will say ABQ is worse, but I don't think so. We lost a lot of friends in Carlsbad to meth. The sad thing is, they are still alive; you know what I mean? And the crime was really getting terrible.

The education system is a hard thing to measure. I think people try to make it simple, when it is actually pretty darn huge and complicated. I am a high school teacher, and I believe that "the system" can be good or it can be bad, and it won't affect you or your kids nearly as much as The Teacher. In a good school, you can get a bad teacher, and in a bad school, you can find good teachers. And if you are pushing your kids all the time to be good students and to try their best, and you are making sure that what needs to be done is getting done, by both the school AND your child, then your kids will be fine.

Students will learn outside of school, too. Make sure you are in a position to help them learn from the world around them all the time. This is AS IMPORTANT as a good school system.

Oh, and the Caverns are okay, but the Sandias and the Jemez blow them out of the water. I do miss the Guadalupes--the stars are amazing--and fishing and swimming on the Pecos. The bosque in Abq is nice, but Lake Carlsbad on a summer's day, under all those big trees, just can't be beat. Awwww, shucks, now I'm missing Carlsbad just a little...

But there is a LOT more to do in Abq. Even here in Las Cruces is a lot to do. We left friends and family in Carlsbad, but we have made new friends, and family are joining us one by one. I don't feel that I lost anything irreplaceable moving away from Carlsbad. Just my past, and that I can do without!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque